UKBouldering.com

Ask Fatdoc - the MTB technical thread (Read 80014 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#25 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB technical thread
November 13, 2008, 09:12:27 pm
Can ask about, but it's a long shot. How soon do you need it?

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#26 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB technical thread
November 14, 2008, 12:51:55 pm
Sorry, unless the bottle of wine is worth more than £62 in which case yes.  ;D

Presumably your brakes are squeeling or something with all those big southern descents you'll be doing?  Why bother spot facing your brake mounts, you should be able to get a good enough setup using thin washers different thickness top to bottom mount if necessary or just steal some spherical washers from an Avid set of brakes, job done.  :shrug: 

Yossarian

• forum hero
#27 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB technical thread
November 14, 2008, 03:42:22 pm
nope. the mounts seem to be mounted pretty far in towards the wheel, so when you use the supplied washer the post mount adaptor hits the disc.  with the 0.25mm washer it misses, but i've now mounted them without a washer at all.

i figured that if i faced them back another mm then there would be more room.

chris - don't worry about it.  if it's a real problem then i'll buy one.

taking the machine to chicksands on sunday, so if you don't hear back on monday i'm probably in hospital.

actually, will try to pop a pic up later on. it's a fine machine.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#28 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB technical thread
November 14, 2008, 03:53:35 pm

Let us know what state the Chickshore is in please - I fancy another play sometime :)

Yossarian

• forum hero
#29 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB technical thread
November 14, 2008, 03:59:26 pm
i'll try to get some pics.  if it's good then i'll be heading back asap.

fatkid2000

• junky
#30 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB technical thread
November 17, 2008, 02:59:44 pm
Having headbudded the floor at Dalby yesterday on the flattest section of the ride I need a new helmet. Probably should get one of those MTB ones with a peak as Fatdoc keeps telling me. Any suggestions - I was thinking of a giro xen, but having bought a spesh helmet for the road was wandering if they made a MTB specific one. My old helmet after closer inspection at home has a crack in it - so did its job.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#31 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB technical thread
November 17, 2008, 04:18:51 pm
Is the cracked one a Giro? I think they have some replacement system if you manage to bust one.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#32 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB technical thread
November 17, 2008, 04:50:12 pm
You know you need a Xen, £90 new, buy a replacement from Giro for £35 when you crash in it.  I've had two new ones without question.  Sorted.

I would be scared to crash in that roadie helmet you were wearing yesterday!

fatkid2000

• junky
#33 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB technical thread
November 17, 2008, 05:08:47 pm
The crashed one was a Giro - old road helmet which I never really liked- hence the Spesh one. Not sure if I've got the receipt etc for it - and I expect its like for like model replacement. I had a quick gander on CRC and the xen was a bit cheaper than £90 - its my birthday next week so you know present to self.

So what's fatdoc going to get for his birthday - which is a couple of weeks away. ???

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#34 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB technical thread
November 17, 2008, 05:28:16 pm
You don't need a receipt to replace a Giro, just send the helmet back with a cheque for £35 and you can get yourself a new Xen instead!  The price you pay for the replacement helmet is relative to the their rrp so a lesser lid will be less than the £35 but really you want a Xen, don't you?  :shrug:

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#35 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB technical thread
November 17, 2008, 06:00:23 pm
The crashed one was a Giro - old road helmet which I never really liked- hence the Spesh one. Not sure if I've got the receipt etc for it - and I expect its like for like model replacement. I had a quick gander on CRC and the xen was a bit cheaper than £90 - its my birthday next week so you know present to self.

So what's fatdoc going to get for his birthday - which is a couple of weeks away. ???

dunno....

some new legs would be good

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#36 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB technical thread
November 17, 2008, 06:33:27 pm
well, by trail  (sp) and error and damn stubborness I have to say....

my Thor fork finally seems to be working how I want!!!!

So...

that's scuppered the *forks for 40* pressie...

reckon I'll just buy a good malt and get angry drunk at being an old git  8)

BTW, the giro helmets are good, I have the cheaper one... and i rate it... the one norton has is worth the cash... coz of the replacement system..

fatkid2000

• junky
#37 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB technical thread
November 17, 2008, 10:56:59 pm
Found the giro replacement programme - it seems to work on a like for like replacement and as I didn't like my atmos I'm not paying for another one. So I'll have to pay the proper price for the Xen & hope I like it more than the atmos I used to use on the road.
http://www.ultimatepursuits.co.uk/giro/

I can't believe FD doesn't have some obscene bike pr0n plan for his big 40 - I mean, and  the fact he doesn't want a party - must be in denial or something!!! or is he really turning into an old git???

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#38 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB technical thread
November 19, 2008, 07:39:03 pm
Random Cannondale headshok question i'm afraid - apologies as I know not many may have experience of these strange beasts:

I recently (september) got an '08 Cannondale F2 off an insurance coupon from Evans having had my old bike totalled by some twat in leeds on my birthday (long story won't go into that here :boohoo:).

Pretty much only been riding this on the road, commuting to work with a bit of local bridleway riding with the missus and occasional forays down the canal to work for a change - nothing "extreme".

So anyway, when delivered the air valve was bust and I had to get Evans to fix it under warranty, which they did in about a week! now only a handful of weeks into ownership something has gone horribly wrong. First up a swishing sound started up on compression. I took it in to Woodrup's in Leeds (DO NOT TRUST - not only on the basis of this experience) who said nothing abnormal about the sound "just the oil damping"

now it seems to be going wrong, with no apparent damping at all in the 1st part of the travel stroke, and even with the lock-out engaged it "clunks".

Sooo my questions are

1. anyone had experience with these buggers (the forks not the bike shops), problems or no?
2. can any cannondale dealer service these (Chevin Cycles just down the hill) or do I have to take it all the way to Cas-vegas and wait a week for the bell-ends at Evans to send it off to Kendal again?

I'd rather go to Chevin for reasons of trust, local loyalty and convenience.

cheers in advance

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#39 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB technical thread
November 19, 2008, 08:11:23 pm
you need bike magic forum asap dude. Also, search for " crack & fail" I'm forums. As far as know most servicing can b done by yourself.

I'd sell it on myself!!

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#40 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB technical thread
November 20, 2008, 10:40:03 am
surely it'll still be under warranty.

rode it into work again today and it's got a LOT worse - horrendous clank noise topping out on every bump and no lock-out at all. I'll be taking it in to Evans and getting arsey with their spotty sales peeps.  :furious:

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#41 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB technical thread
November 20, 2008, 05:57:57 pm
I should say I have a low opinion of Cannondale's in general before I start, based on the fact that they produce ridiculous designs like headshox and lefties - too much strong Yank skunk in the design department I reckon.  Plus getting them serviced is a nightmare due to lack of dealers.

The squishing noise is probably nothing to worry about that will be the damping oil getting 'squished' through the shims.  Clunking should be worried about and normally suggests a bust damper rod or similar.

Take it back and buy another bike or get it serviced I'm afraid.  Other than that do as the 'Doc says and try bikemagic for suggestions.  Cannondale stuff is usually self maintainable, but only if you have the special tools they need so check any manuals you find online carefully to make sure whether you need anything special before dismantling it!

imho Cannondale have no clue with regard to damping so having it top or bottom out on the road would not surprise me.  I once rode a Prophet with a Leftie - it felt like trying to pedal a pogo stick  :'(

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#42 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB technical thread
November 21, 2008, 10:30:30 am
arseburgers!

Public service announcement - THIS IS A RANT!

well thank you for the info anyway. The main thing that attracted me to the C'dale was it's sale price (immediately refused by EVANS because i was purchasing with a voucher, not cash - wankers!) and the very convenietn (for me) fork lock out atop the stem/simplicity in design (or so i thought) of the headshock system. Plus i figured that the design has been around soooo long (I haven't done much proper MTBing for years but grew up in the Brecon Beacons so had a mis-spent youth in them hills from about 15 years ago, and i remember them being around then - who was that dreadlocked dude that used to ride pro for them?)

I am fairly handy when it comes to fixing bike stuff (used to be a hire shop tech) but have no clue when it comes to suspension (this is the first bike with any boingy bits - last one had a pair of Pace RC31 carbon "fake suspension" forks that sheared off at the crown/steerer interface on impact with a car). It narks me a bit that i can't even get under the hood to see what's going wrong - they didn't used to top out noisily all the time, and like i think i said before there appears to be no compression damping in the first 1/2 of the stroke now.

The rebound adjustment nob also turns a lot more than it used to which worries me slightly, and i have a feeling the EVANS basically botched up the repair/replacement/whatever originally.

none of this changes the fact that i'll be heading to cas-vegas this weekend to get shirty with EVANS (this pisses me off no end, because i'm almost certain it means i'll be without a bike for a while again, plus the weather looks mint tomorrow and i'm none too keen on missing time on't grit).

Where do you think i stand in terms of demanding a replacement bike rather than another potentially shoddy repair?

surely nothing wrong with strong skunk in the design dept - just look at Jonny Ives at Apple Inc. ;)

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#43 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB technical thread
November 30, 2008, 07:05:18 pm
took it to friendly man at chevin cycles and all is now well. apparently the valve system had come loose and all the oil drained out the bottom into the inside of the fork housing. quite possibly caused by EVANS' meddling but can't be sure.

all's well that ends well :thumbsup:

fatkid2000

• junky
#44 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB technical thread
December 03, 2008, 11:56:01 am
There's a rumour that its FD's birthday. Happy Birthday - I won't tell you how old he is though as I value my life.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#45 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB technical thread
December 03, 2008, 05:17:26 pm
There's a rumour that its FD's birthday. Happy Birthday - I won't tell you how old he is though as I value my life.

up to 10,000 m of singletrack descent in spain in 6 weeks dude... wise... very wise...

fatkid2000

• junky
#46 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB technical thread
December 03, 2008, 08:39:48 pm
Well the doc & I have been discussing gear, or rather fatdoc has been telling me what I need, for this little sortie to Singletrack in Spain - and the list is pretty extensive - luckily I own most of it.

Anyway - tonight I text the doc and ask - do you want anything from Ground effect, surprisingly he doesn't want anything - I'm shocked. Few mins later texts again - I'm getting a Marin Team Top to match the mistress!!!! - and I thought I was the gay roadie!!!

I'm well looking forward to this Feb trip - riding the bike without getting dressed to go in a freezer!!!

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#47 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB technical thread
December 04, 2008, 01:07:43 pm
Jon, re your forks and various size post mountings, have you seen this http://www.singletrackworld.co.uk/forum/read.php?f=2&i=3838157&t=3838157

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#48 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB technical thread
December 04, 2008, 07:50:22 pm
cool.

Hope being Hope said "what... really?? that's odd.... *rumage* right mate, it's in the post" one perfectly milled step up caliper later and my 185 brake now fits my fox fork perfectly  ;D

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#49 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB technical thread
December 05, 2008, 08:52:17 am
Man, I love Hope.  8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal