UKBouldering.com

mallorca (Read 11310 times)

Munkii

• stalker
mallorca
October 11, 2008, 08:30:52 pm
does anyone know of bouldering venues in mallorca near to C'an Picafort, Puerto Pollensa or Puerto Alcudia?

got a holiday coming up next saturday so i am really excited.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#1 Re: mallorca
October 12, 2008, 12:28:15 pm
I don't have links handy, they're all in work, but I'm sure you'll be able to find something on that side of the island, I've mainly stayed on the south west when we've gone climbing, but as far as I know there is definitely some stuff further north, probably more, considering the amount of routes up that way.  Might be worth a quick search on UKC there are always loads of threads on there, generally with links to topos too. 

The water might still be warm enough for DWS if you fancy a go at that, although you'd need to travel cause there's none directly on the beaches in Pollensa / Alcudia / C'an Picafort.  Again, a quick seach will get you loads of info.   ;)

Enjoy your holiday.

Munkii

• stalker
#2 Re: mallorca
October 12, 2008, 01:02:35 pm
I don't have links handy, they're all in work, but I'm sure you'll be able to find something on that side of the island, I've mainly stayed on the south west when we've gone climbing, but as far as I know there is definitely some stuff further north, probably more, considering the amount of routes up that way.  Might be worth a quick search on UKC there are always loads of threads on there, generally with links to topos too.  

The water might still be warm enough for DWS if you fancy a go at that, although you'd need to travel cause there's none directly on the beaches in Pollensa / Alcudia / C'an Picafort.  Again, a quick seach will get you loads of info.   ;)

Enjoy your holiday.
i've been wanted to try dws for ages, so yeah i'm definitly giving that a go.

thanks for the advice, much apreciated.

Munkii

• stalker
#3 Re: mallorca
October 12, 2008, 01:09:19 pm
tried searching ukc with no success, can't find my way around at all. :thumbsdown:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#4 Re: mallorca
October 12, 2008, 01:09:33 pm
Rockfax have a guide, and I think there's some bouldering in it. Don't know what the quality is like though.
S'Estret seems to be the only venue in their database, and it doesn't sound great.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#5 Re: mallorca
October 12, 2008, 01:15:13 pm
S'Estret boulders pics:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#6 Re: mallorca
October 12, 2008, 01:18:22 pm
And with a bit more searching:

Looks more like it!
This site may be of help, links to topos on the left.

Greg C gets everywhere  :o

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#7 Re: mallorca
October 12, 2008, 01:58:29 pm
tried searching ukc with no success, can't find my way around at all. :thumbsdown:

Did you click on my tiny blue UKC? (In the first post, click it)  There should have been something in that search link, I would have thought.  DWS wise check out Rockfax and also DWSWorld, you should get some pretty decent stuff just by googling 'DWS Mallorca' or 'bouldering Mallorca', if not I'll see if I can dig out my books tonight and see what's in them for you, I have one I bought in Palma which from memory has bouldering topos in as well as DWS stuff (although the majority of the well known stuff is in the south west). 

Seriously though, if you spend enough time hunting on UKC you'll find something, I know cause I've posted on the threads in the past  :P

Munkii

• stalker
#8 Re: mallorca
October 12, 2008, 02:06:20 pm
thanks GCW the links really helped.

after speaking to my parents, they've decided i can't go dws because if something went wrong the isurance wouldnt cover me. :boohoo:

Did you click on my tiny blue UKC? (In the first post, click it)  There should have been something in that search link, I would have thought.  DWS wise check out Rockfax and also DWSWorld, you should get some pretty decent stuff just by googling 'DWS Mallorca' or 'bouldering Mallorca', if not I'll see if I can dig out my books tonight and see what's in them for you, I have one I bought in Palma which from memory has bouldering topos in as well as DWS stuff (although the majority of the well known stuff is in the south west).  

Seriously though, if you spend enough time hunting on UKC you'll find something, I know cause I've posted on the threads in the past  :P

oh, i didnt know the tiny ukc was a link, ok will use that and then get back to you. but if you can dig out your books aswell then that would be much appreciated

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#9 Re: mallorca
October 12, 2008, 02:09:49 pm
Looks like Greg did an overview on the R+R blog too.

The areas seem quite spread out- will you have a driver and car?
Another link
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 02:15:04 pm by GCW, Reason: Picture failed to embed »

Munkii

• stalker
#10 Re: mallorca
October 12, 2008, 02:23:06 pm

The areas seem quite spread out- will you have a driver and car?

no. i'll have a bike that i can hire from my hotel. ;D

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#11 Re: mallorca
October 12, 2008, 02:32:08 pm
It might take you some time to cycle there....

Munkii

• stalker
#12 Re: mallorca
October 12, 2008, 03:30:08 pm
It might take you some time to cycle there....
tell me about it...

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#13 Re: mallorca
October 12, 2008, 03:59:03 pm
The book I have is the one on the R+R Blog,

it's mainly DWS (which I'm not surprised your folks aren't keen ;)) but I think it has some bouldering topos too, pretty much what's mentioned in the blog CGW posted, I'll double check just in case there's more though. My general impression of Mallorca was always that south east was better for bouldering and north west was better for routes. To be honest, the whole island is one giant rock so you shouldn't struggle for something to muck about on if you just have a scout about and are willing to climb on stuff that might not necessarily be named routes from a book.

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#14 Re: mallorca
October 12, 2008, 07:25:41 pm
thanks GCW the links really helped.

after speaking to my parents, they've decided i can't go dws because if something went wrong the isurance wouldnt cover me. :boohoo:

Don't let your parents get away with this Munkii - DWS in Mallorca is what climbing is for. The BMC travel insurance (http://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/insurance/Policies.aspx#rock) will cover you for DWS, and you could probably afford it yourself out of your pocket money!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#15 Re: mallorca
October 12, 2008, 10:38:16 pm
after speaking to my parents, they've decided i can't go dws because if something went wrong the isurance wouldnt cover me.
That's heartwarming - not concerned about you, just the payout :lol:

uptown

• junky
#16 Re: mallorca
October 12, 2008, 10:59:37 pm
I too will be there for a week on saturday. I just watched Stus vimeo vid - syked for the dws - anyone recommend me some good routes? I don't give a munkiis for insurance though.

Munkii

• stalker
#17 Re: mallorca
October 13, 2008, 07:44:59 am
I don't give a munkiis for insurance though.

:lol: see what you did there!  :lol:

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#18 Re: mallorca
October 13, 2008, 08:17:35 am

I've ony been to Diablo and Barques, but there are no bad routes there. Standout highlights are Afroman (7b), Every Cat (8a), Iguanadon (7b) and Whiplash (7c) at Diablo. Grades are on average one over, so be ambitious in terms of what you try.
At Barques, Strangers in Paradise (7b+) is great, and Banditos (7c+) is like weedkiller-traverse-on-sea (a good thing!).

In terms of other venues, I've heard great things about Cala Sa Nau, and Cala Marcal, and I don't believe the coast is worked out at all yet.

How I wish I was there.

andyh

• stalker
#19 Re: mallorca
October 13, 2008, 09:41:06 am
anyone know if november is too late in the year for majorcan dws? - i read somewhere that the sea temp is 16 degrees, but that doesn't mean a lot to me

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#20 Re: mallorca
October 13, 2008, 09:53:18 am
Munkii; the books I have have nothing about bouldering on the north of the island, it's all stuff around the DWS in the south west, looks like your best bet is going to be searching UKC or just generally on Google.

Uptowngirl; I like Santanyi and Cala Sa Nau, they're great as first time venues, close to the beach and have enough routes to give you a taster, depends how hard your climbing and how you feel about falling off from a great height, Diablo look awesome but I'm too much of a chicken for it so far.  Agreed that the grades can be fairly out, I climbed 6b without even thinking about it at a time where I was struggling with 6a back home.

AndyH; Best time for DWS is September, I know people who have been in October and said it was still ideal, November I'm not so sure, I suppose it depends how you are in colder water?  It certainly won't be like falling into a big bath the way it is in the summer but it might be alright?  Maybe the easiest way to gauge sea temps is to see what sort of temperature it normally has to be in this country for people to brave DWSing and work from there?  If it's your first go then you might be alright, you won't have the summer temps to compare it too, and I bet it's more of an incentive not to fall off.  ;)

andyh

• stalker
#21 Re: mallorca
October 13, 2008, 10:27:39 am
  If it's your first go then you might be alright, you won't have the summer temps to compare it too, and I bet it's more of an incentive not to fall off.  ;)

i've been to majorca in august and thailand as well, so i will have that warm sea comparison.

as long as it's warmer than the irish sea i'd be happy, if not just have to stick to the inland crags

Munkii

• stalker
#22 Re: mallorca
October 18, 2008, 02:34:28 pm
we leave today and i am so excited! :bounce:

it's my first time climbing outside the UK so it should be a really good experience.

thanks for ell your help with spots etc. i've taken all of this on board and printed off about 50 sheets of info whick will be my reading material for the plane and bus journey there. :)

will give you the recap on the trip in great detail when i get back, so prepare for some heavy reading. ;D

bye :wave:

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#23 Re: mallorca
October 19, 2008, 06:23:57 pm
Bless your youthful enthusiasm Munkii, have a great trip.  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal