UKBouldering.com

Scilly Bouldering (Read 4307 times)

Rice Boy

• stalker
Scilly Bouldering
September 30, 2008, 02:51:55 pm
Visited the Isles of Scilly last week.  Reminded me of a Sardinia that I've not visited. Very impressive rock formations on St Mary's and blatantly more on the other islands.  Does anyone know anything about bouldering here? 

Probably heading back in 2-3 years time so no obvious rush.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1 Re: Scilly Bouldering
September 30, 2008, 05:32:16 pm
Shane Ohly did an feature in OTE about it a few years back. I don't remember it looking amazing but I daresay that was the photos not the place.

Rice Boy

• stalker
#2 Re: Scilly Bouldering
October 01, 2008, 11:35:54 am
Thanks, I'll look into that. 

It was only a day visit but what I saw was impressive (wind blown egg shaped sculptures etc.) if only a little lichenous in places. 

A Jooser

• menacing presence
#3 Re: Scilly Bouldering
October 01, 2008, 12:07:19 pm
Young master Ohly’s article on the Isles of Scilly can be found here.

I’ve heard rumours that Mat Johnson, who used to be the police force on the Islands, is collating info about the climbing on Scilly. I would guess this might find its way into the forthcoming CC new routes supplement. And of course there is already a section about Scilly in the current CC West Cornwall guide. I know Cornish bouldering guru Bob goes over annually to boulder on Bryher so as with the climbing I think plenty has been done just not documented.

My mum was born on Scilly and we'd go over regularly to visit family, but this was when I was younger so I’ve never climbed there. The timeshares and the high-end tourist trade have changed the place a lot now I think. Of course there is plenty of decent bouldering in West Cornwall so why not save the price of a flight or boat trip! Oh! Maybe this is why… 

Rice Boy

• stalker
#4 Re: Scilly Bouldering
October 01, 2008, 03:20:43 pm
Thanks, very useful.  Inspiring photos too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal