UKBouldering.com

Immigration, a good thing or not? (Read 7469 times)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
Immigration, a good thing or not?
August 15, 2006, 07:05:57 pm
Well, what do you think folks?

Personally I'm in favour of the free movement of people so would go for the no limits option.

Duma

• forum hero
#1 Re: Immigration, a good thing or not?
August 15, 2006, 07:21:27 pm
Tend to agree - the only real constraint should be geographical, though hasn't there been talk of morrocco joining at some point? ::)

What's your view on us in the EU sloper? You backing the tobacco giant or the xenophobic nutcases?

PS Bubba - this surely needs moving to STS, unless people have real concerns about freakishly strong eastern europeans comin' over 'ere an' nickin' our projects.

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
#2 Re: Immigration, a good thing or not?
August 15, 2006, 07:30:42 pm
no, because i think there are too many in the uk already. for a country that receieves so much rain yet we still face drought conditions every summer due to low water reseviors.
 the roads are so congested due to so much traffic.
the health system is already past breaking point due to work load. many people come to uk for its health care system.
and the genourous benefits that the government provide, from our taxes....
the cheap rate that immigrants will work for only encourage more brits to recieve the dole as it pays better.

Duma

• forum hero
#3 Re: Immigration, a good thing or not?
August 15, 2006, 07:51:24 pm
we face drought because we flush our toilets and wash our cars and water our gardens with drinking water, and because we don't take storing water seriously.
the roads are congested because public transport is shit, and we're lazy
The health system is massively reliant on immigrants to function and I'd like to see some stats showing how many people decide to push on through france to get to the uk because of the nhs
the uk's benefits are not generous in comparison to those of france or germany, or in fact at all - when was the last time you had to live on the dole?
the last line of your post doesn't deserve a reply.

been getting your opinions from the daily mail?

Sloper

• forum hero
#4 Re: Immigration, a good thing or not?
August 15, 2006, 07:51:39 pm
no, because i think there are too many in the UK already. for a country that receives so much rain yet we still face drought conditions every summer due to low water reservoirs.
the health system is already past breaking point due to work load. many people come to UK for its health care system.
and the generous benefits that the government provide, from our taxes....
the cheap rate that immigrants will work for only encourage more Brits to receive the dole as it pays better.

What do you mean about too many immigrants, do you mean the Aussie bar tenders, the kiwi dentists, the saffa doctors, the Filipino nurses, polish plumbers, French chefs?  Or do you mean those people with slightly darker skins?

Health tourism, if it exists takes which when compared to the wasted resources on domestic people who go to A&E with a slight rash, sore little toe etc (etc) take sin statistical terms costs precisely nothing.  Oh and just an aside the NHS would collapse without the immigrant labour force (porters, cleaners, nurses, doctors AHCP etc)

Oh yes the hose pipe ban, quick send 'em all back (don't fix the pipes, build houses in the right areas or have any cogent policy, blame the darkies).

Congestion, yep the other day I was stuck behind half a dozen camels on the A5.

I hope I haven't made you sound at all prejudiced or racist :wank:

Your point about benefits is to a point valid, I say yes, let's address this, but only once we've addressed the generations of domestic scroungers and parasites. 

Duma, I'm very much pro the EU as an idea (free trade etc), but less comfortable with some of the laws and regulations it passes and while I'm certainly not a federalist I lean towards being pro euro.

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
#5 Re: Immigration, a good thing or not?
August 15, 2006, 08:07:57 pm
i made no reference at all to skin colour just the numbers of people in britan.
you half wit

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#6 Re: Immigration, a good thing or not?
August 15, 2006, 08:26:48 pm
the uk's benefits are not generous in comparison to... germany...

*For an unemployed person without work experience you can expect 600€ per month plus your rent payed.

*For an unemployed person with work experience you can get upto 70% of your previous wage (for 2 years, after that as above).  

I voted yes.   For me there are only two options: to control or not.  To ignore immigration would ultimately result in the UK being shafted/overwhelmed, for there are many have nots, and we're the bee's knees.  All countries must control their immigration policies - the question is, to what extent do you do that.  I'm not a nazi.  Ah!  At last I get to use das Hakenkreutz!

Hitler was a triphead!  You can magic eye the swastika!

« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 08:39:04 pm by Houdini »

andy_e

• forum hero
#7 Re: Immigration, a good thing or not?
August 15, 2006, 08:28:00 pm
no, because i think there are too many in the uk already. for a country that receieves so much rain yet we still face drought conditions every summer due to low water reseviors.

In the south perhaps, but there's always plenty of water up north (ish, anyway) due to the amount of suitable reservior situations.

Have you ever seen japan? Not many foreigners there...

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
#8 Re: Immigration, a good thing or not?
August 15, 2006, 08:39:51 pm
futhermore, aussie bar tenders, kiwi dentists,saffa docs and filipino nurses are on working visas, 2 years. then they go back home.
if the government handouts in are better in france and germany as you say, why don't they all go straight to those countries instead of britain.can't be because of the weather and lifestyle could it..no, because the british goverment gives out so much money to people who do very little in return.that is why there are so many generations of domestic  scroungers and parasites, as sloper put it.
to say i'm prejudiced and rascist is ignorance on your behalf. why open a thread to ask others opinions on a topic and then berate them with insults if is against your opinion? ::)

a dense loner

• forum hero
#9 Re: Immigration, a good thing or not?
August 15, 2006, 08:46:26 pm
good point well made oldfella. there is no such thing as freedom of speech

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#10 Re: Immigration, a good thing or not?
August 15, 2006, 08:49:08 pm
I think oldfella is repeating general truisms which are difficult to express without looking like young Wolfgang here:

Yossarian

• forum hero
#11 Re: Immigration, a good thing or not?
August 15, 2006, 08:54:04 pm

In the south perhaps, but there's always plenty of water up north (ish, anyway) due to the amount of suitable reservior situations.

bollocks. i can think of hundreds...

hastings for starters (as soon as i've moved away), clapham, fulham, croydon, romford, maidstone, hailsham, ashford, east dulwich (after rehousing all the yummy mummies) and acton.

i'm sitting on the fence on this one.  i had a brilliant algerian painter work for me last year, but on the other hand i am slightly concerned about the hordes of bulgarian mafia who are going to turn up imminently.  bulgarians - like albanians, but with bigger knives...

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#12 Re: Immigration, a good thing or not?
August 15, 2006, 08:58:36 pm
Sure are a lotta spades here....    ....which I think is good for the academy!

superfurrymonkey

• junky
#13 Re: Immigration, a good thing or not?
August 15, 2006, 11:42:40 pm
Remember reading somewhere that the biggest number of illegal immigrants were Australians.

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
#14 Re: Immigration, a good thing or not?
August 15, 2006, 11:48:31 pm
what, playing county cricket :lol:

andy_e

• forum hero
#15 Re: Immigration, a good thing or not?
August 16, 2006, 12:12:11 am

Hitler was a triphead!  You can magic eye the swastika!

Word. Now I have a headache.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#16 Re: Immigration, a good thing or not?
August 16, 2006, 08:45:13 am
Sorry about that  :whistle: It's worse than the Hypno-Toad isn't it?!

It doesn't surprise me that most want derestricted immigration, it sounds the most obvious/humane choice.  In practice though... It will be hellishly expensive and frought with problems, the least of which could be a sharp increase in pogromesque behaviour and the inexorable rise of The Right (or as I call them: The Wrong).  We're a small and historically tax-reticent nation who as Slopes points out are massively wasteful.  Call me a pessimist (you're a pessimist) but I don't see our government changing a habit of a lifetime and cease wasting our wealth.  That seems almost utopian.  No, they'll just demand more from us which is OK if you are happy with that.  If you derestrict immigration in law now I absolutely guarrantee that within a generation that law will have been changed, I'll bet 100 quid with anyone on that now.  Those that would see absolute freedom are confused as to just how covetted life in the UK is amongst the worlds' poor.  We would be utterly overwhelmed and it's lunacy not to control a nations population.  Imagine the UK with 30 million more people.  Could we say, find a spare 30 million souls out there in foreignerland to come here soon?  Reckon!

(Here in zee Fatherland (what was W. Germany), it's fuckin' insane.  Nevermind keeping Africans out, what about the East Germans!  Resentment isn't the word.  Here fear of unemployment is massive (currently over 5 million unemployed).  E. Germans will work for fuck all; the population of the East is shrinking as the western cities swell.  What they gonna do?  Control Germans within Germany?  Everyone already pays a 5% tax on their earnings for redeveloping the East.  And then there is immigration on top to consider. Madness.)

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
#17 Re: Immigration, a good thing or not?
August 16, 2006, 09:32:56 am
spare a thought for the economies and communities from where these people are coming from. people leaving poland for the uk in droves.i can't quote exact figures. however, surely with all the skills leaving the country, it makes a struggling economy struggle more as there is less money moving around. poland are trying to entice their people to return with a recruitment scheme around london...
so as nice as it sounds to open the borders to all and sundry, is it fair to those peoples in those communties who can't afford to leave for greener pastures..
If they cannot afford to leave now, when can they leave.........    when they can get money through some dodgy black market/ mafia scam.. crooked bastards who exploit the needy for all their money to take them somewhere else to struggle.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#18 Re: Immigration, a good thing or not?
August 16, 2006, 09:41:11 am
Hypno-Toad?

Yes!  The Hypno-Toad!

Toad

• regular
#19 Re: Immigration, a good thing or not?
August 16, 2006, 10:33:38 am
Looks nothing like me!   ???

andy_e

• forum hero
#20 Re: Immigration, a good thing or not?
August 16, 2006, 03:37:11 pm
Not enough coconuts!

Houdini, you have to much time on your hands.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#21 Re: Immigration, a good thing or not?
August 16, 2006, 04:09:43 pm
Silly notion.  I earnt this right to a holiday.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon

Sloper

• forum hero
#23 Re: Immigration, a good thing or not?
August 17, 2006, 07:57:44 pm
futhermore, aussie bar tenders, kiwi dentists,saffa docs and filipino nurses are on working visas, 2 years. then they go back home.
if the government handouts in are better in france and germany as you say, why don't they all go straight to those countries instead of britain.can't be because of the weather and lifestyle could it..no, because the british goverment gives out so much money to people who do very little in return.that is why there are so many generations of domestic  scroungers and parasites, as sloper put it.
to say i'm prejudiced and rascist is ignorance on your behalf. why open a thread to ask others opinions on a topic and then berate them with insults if is against your opinion? ::)

Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one.

Perhaps if you came out with a meaningful basis for your opinion I'd have been a little less harsh with my reply.

PS is economic migration ok if the migrant goes home after two years?

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
#24 Re: Immigration, a good thing or not?
August 17, 2006, 08:30:03 pm
yes it is ok.
briefly putting it..
* considering they pay tax,
* contribute to national insurance - which they will not get use of.
* rent, putting dead money back into the economy.

and overall, it is them giving far more to britain than taking.
generally all they'll be taking from the uk upon return is a few good memories, a couple of extra kilos around the stomach and a pasty complexion.. :alky:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal