UKBouldering.com

English 7b? (Read 28374 times)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
English 7b?
July 03, 2006, 01:51:13 pm
There I was, pondering the nature of English 7b - and how very very little I know of it...

Would those in the know list problems/boulderable micro-routes (Warm Love?) with a genuine English 7b crux, please. 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 05:42:03 pm by Houdini »

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1 Re: English 7b?
July 04, 2006, 08:59:37 am
There was a long debate about the uk 7a/ 7b boundary a year os so back. Do a search for the full story but twas vaguely agreed to be about font 8a/8a+

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#2 Re: English 7b?
July 04, 2006, 09:07:09 am
I'll do that search, but before, would a one/two move 7b problem really be worth V12?  eg.  Nicks Sexual Problem at the Gravestones.  I thought it much less.

EDIT.  You're correct, it's all there after a search.  The Joker/Ace and something at the school.  Bummer: I'd rather give-up climbing than train at the School.  But thanks.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 09:21:12 am by Houdini »

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#3 Re: English 7b?
July 04, 2006, 10:52:08 am
EDIT.  You're correct, it's all there after a search.  The Joker/Ace and something at the school.  Bummer: I'd rather give-up climbing than train at the School.  But thanks.

I think you're reffering to something Andy Harris said:

7b moves in the UK: hubble crux, sampson, Gaskins problems, Quintessence, No of things at School, foundry pinch problem

easy 7a: crux of evolution/jehovakill/ bens drop down move/JA/
solid 7a: revelations crux, sweetest thing, pinch 2, pink indians eliminate, joker, Quintessence
hard 7a: superman, , 2nd crux hubble
easy 7b: hubble crux, sampson?
solid 7b: snot/pinky perky at school, crux brandenburg gate
Don't think the jump from 6c to 7a is bigger than from 6a-6b but when you can just climb a hard 6a, 6b is miles off and a hard 6b move would be the living end. It's just as things get harder more people are ruled out and progress within the grade gets slower.

But the thread boiled down to a difference of opinion - the School boys who maintained (as above) that 7b was the living end, versus the non-school people who reckoned 7a started around 7b+ and 7b started around 8a/+. If you opt for the latter theory, there are bound to be a few more 7b moves around...

Hmmm, Quintessence is given first as 7b, then as solid 7a... Example of obsessive compulsive downgrading?  ;)

For those that missed it: http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,3409.0.html
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 11:00:35 am by r-man »

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#4 Re: English 7b?
July 04, 2006, 12:38:17 pm
Nick's Sexual Problem might be Font 7b, but it is a million miles from british tech 7b, more like sturdy 6c.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#5 Re: English 7b?
July 04, 2006, 12:47:05 pm
Watching Hocking very nearly static this über-move last year also convinced me of this.  However this move is harder than 6c, Si.

ferret

• forum abuser
#6 Re: English 7b?
July 04, 2006, 02:44:58 pm
the mythical english tech grade, above 6c does anyone really know wot it means? if you look at some grit routes once given 7a, westside story, desparete, partheon shot, the crux is no harder than font 7c, and others like who needs ready brek weigh in at 7c+.
in comparison this should really make any reasonable short 8a british 7b, the real question is wot british tech grade is a short font 8b+?!
as for samson, 7b yor avin a laugh.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#7 Re: English 7b?
July 04, 2006, 04:14:45 pm
There is, of course, The Spoon Machine on the Pac Man boulder.  This line repulses me, aesthetically speaking.  I guess what I was after were boulder problems with Eng. 7b to try, and satisfy my curiosity.

One of the funniest things Dawes ever said to me was - Are you familiar with what English 7a means?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#8 Re: English 7b?
July 05, 2006, 08:52:45 am
Its in the other thread, but the start to Careless torque is the one I've heard most often quoted as being 'technical' 7b (Dave Pegg; Dangerous Crocodile Snogging); the rest are just glorified weightlifting :whistle:

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#9 Re: English 7b?
July 05, 2006, 10:19:24 am
Its in the other thread, but the start to Careless torque is the one I've heard most often quoted as being 'technical' 7b (Dave Pegg; Dangerous Crocodile Snogging); the rest are just glorified weightlifting :whistle:

So this means that someone has flashed english 7b if what you're saying is to be believed.  :-\ my beard itches...

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#10 Re: English 7b?
July 05, 2006, 11:06:22 am
 Who's flashed Careless Torque?

Doylo

• forum hero
#11 Re: English 7b?
July 05, 2006, 11:27:32 am
Who's flashed Careless Torque?

i'm gonna own up, it was me.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#12 Re: English 7b?
July 05, 2006, 11:37:11 am
Liar.  It was me!

BenF

• forum hero
#13 Re: English 7b?
July 05, 2006, 11:39:31 am
I'm keeping quiet about it.  You know, staying elusive and all that.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 12:10:07 pm by BenF »

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#14 Re: English 7b?
July 05, 2006, 11:40:34 am
Obviously there was Rich's ground up, but I've not heard of a flash

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#15 Re: English 7b?
July 05, 2006, 11:45:38 am
I think Unclesomebody is pointing out that if all 7bs other than CT are so technically straightforward ("glorified weightlifting"), someone must have flashed them...

Pantontino

• forum hero
#16 Re: English 7b?
July 05, 2006, 02:30:28 pm
Don't give the wood monkey the benefit of the doubt. Don't you realise that there are social divisions at stake here? He's a fully paid up member of the 'School', whilst you are not, and never will be. He can do one armers off a half joint edge with a fully grown labrador strapped to his back, whereas you can't. He can't do the simplest of mantels, but you're probably quite good at them. etc... It's like the Indian caste system: the line must never be crossed!

To slightly paraphrase the great Micky Johnston: "7b? Never seen 7b!"

Just realised that Nick's sexual Problem uses a genuine split finger 'spock' arrangement and a 'hockstack' press - maybe it is 7b after all.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#17 Re: English 7b?
July 05, 2006, 02:55:14 pm
Yes yes!  That's what I saw:  a Hockstack press/Spock combo.  I couldn't believe how close he came - but he's no slouch is Adam.

And if anyone gets jiggy with their wirebrush on this goddam problem anymore I am going to get quite annoyed.  Fuck off will you!  All those tiny hyphens and dinks that have been pointlessly scarred on this problem...the holds are there gaylords - learn to use them better.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
#18 Re: English 7b?
July 05, 2006, 03:15:00 pm
As Panton says, don't give me the benefit of any doubt. I was under the impression that there is a man out there who has flashed the start of careless torque. I did not imply that anybody has actually flashed the whole problem.  There may be more but on that I couldn't comment. My point was that careless torque is definitely not english 7b.

Another good point Panton, everybody has to choose, which side of the line are you on? Come join the winners...
As for social divisions and that underhand attack of my mantle skills, FUCK YOU.

note; if that last bit gets taken seriously I will be leaving UKB for a place that understands sarcasm.

Stubbs

#19 Re: English 7b?
July 05, 2006, 03:17:03 pm
An anonymous man? The made which you quote at the bottom of your posts (not Rodney)? Who?

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
#20 Re: English 7b?
July 05, 2006, 03:52:18 pm
sorry, just realised there was some ambiguity in my post. This is what I meant; I thought there was a foreigner who had flashed the start of careless torque. I also thought that Ivan Tresch got past the start second go. My comment about there may be more simply meant the following; there may be more people who have flashed the start too, but I don't know. I didn't mean to imply anything else along the lines of I know someone who has flashed it but I'm not telling because if that were the case I wouldn't even post on here. 

Pantontino

• forum hero
#21 Re: English 7b?
July 05, 2006, 05:49:54 pm
Awesome! I've got the official invitation to join, the ticket to turbo charged arms of justice! I can provide a list of notables who I've burned off (even if it was only once and they were probably ill and won't remember anyway), and references from all the top stars if needed. I can even spill the dirt on various gritstone slab fags. Whatever it takes to get through the final selection process, I'll do it (with the obvious disclaimer regarding the imbibement of unsavioury body fluids).

Can't wait to get back to seiging Woodology - I'm assuming you new boys haven't taken it down.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#22 Re: English 7b?
July 05, 2006, 06:46:21 pm
Ah ya mingers!  You don't mean to say that selection for school-room entry actually involves the Digestive game?

Well...on the other hand I believe it is rich in magnesium and fructose...

These arcane rituals!  You're worse than masons!  ;)

Doylo

• forum hero
#23 Re: English 7b?
July 05, 2006, 07:03:04 pm

Can't wait to get back to seiging Woodology - I'm assuming you new boys haven't taken it down.

Hell no!

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
#24 Re: English 7b?
July 05, 2006, 09:00:05 pm
woah there tiger. I have neither the will nor the authority to be offering school invites. Please don't let my words misrepresent me. I didn't mean to get your hopes up only to break your heart, but I'm sure there are plenty of 7B's outdoors that you can continue sieging.  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal