UKBouldering.com

[Peak & Yorkshire][Various crags][42 probs 5 -7C] (Read 13798 times)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
The usual update.  Haven’t done one for ages so this covers nearly a year I guess! Quality varies from stocking filler to proper top draw stuff.  Have indicated the best things with a star and the real special stuff with two. I appreciate this is all quite information dense for this day and age - some photos might follow if/when I’ve added stuff to Peakbouldering.info. 

Yorkshire Grit

Great Roova
Fifth Arete SS 6C – Sit start the arete right of Icicle
* Pearly Riser 7A – Climb the Spring Haze ramp as a rising hand traverse. Start with a hand on the left arete, finish up the right arete (keeping off blocks right of the corner)
Bull Nose SS 6B – Sit start to Bull Nose

Eavestone
* Sky Carbon 7B – A good variant/link-up for anyone struggling to turn the lip on Sky Diamond. Start as for SD, move right at the lip and finish as for Get a Grip

Roundhill
All Roads 6B – The left arete of Roman Wall
* Veni, Vidi, Vici 7A+ – The rounded project arete left right of Gladiator mentioned in the guide.

Brimham, Bat Buttress
Low Earth Orbit 6C –  Sit start, one hand on jug at base of crack, climb the prowy left arete of the roof. Fairly trivial but worth a mention as it would be the logical finish for the full right to left lip trav that needs doing, which would make a good long 8A-ish thing if back-wall eliminated

Peak Grit (and a bit of lime)

Seagull Tor
Jumbo SS 7A – Sit start to Jumbo. Bit of a painfull kneebar to start but great moves thereafter.
Heart Arete Low Start 7A – Worthwhile low extension to the classic 6C. A full SS just wouldn’t work so opted to start with whatever you can reach with your foot on the block under the roof

Burbage North
Sick of Ants  6B+ – On next block right of Rocketboy.  Climb the hanging groove eliminating everything  below the roof. Trivial but a good move

Stanage, Marble Wall Area
Green Greenie 7A – The right arete of the back wall behind you when facing Green Room Slap, from SS

Stanage, Plantation
Bronze Donkey 6C – L-R counterline crossing Brass Monkeys to finish up RHS of arete

Doll Tor
Dollfin 6C+ - SS lowball prow 50m NW of Gathering Storm. The low foot block is in
Joe 6C – Just up the hill from SG is a west facing slab. Sits start right of centre and heel and palm over the angle change.

Hen Cloud
*Jimmy Hen Tricks 6C+ - Below the main bit of the crag where Borstal Breakout etc. is are some decent boulders scatter down the slope. On the lowest of these which is encountered soon after leaving the track on the normal crag approach – climb the rounded right arete
*Mein Kraft 7A+ - The next block up the hill is a low slung bulge. SS on a rail at the far right end of the block and hug round leftward to finish up some juggy rugosites
Hit Rock Bottom 6C+ - Sit start left of the exit of Mein Kraft, slap the eponymous booty and top out leftward
*Easter Rising 6C – Up on the lower tier of the crag directly above the boulders and on the next significant rock right of Black Wall. Climb the highball left arete of the wall

Froggatt
Meullerosis 7A+ - A few metres uphill from Gibsonitis. Pokey powerfull sit start up overhanging rock, exiting left via juggy pocket to finish up slabby arete
Tippi Hedren Collider 5+ - Above the Ape Drape roof is a HVS called Debut Wall, climb the highball rib just to its left
*Vomer’s Odyssey 7A+ - The lower arete of the route Vomer from SS on its left side, exit leftward onto a big ledge. The standard direct start goes up the right side pulling on fairly high off some blocks (it’s about 6A+ but has a bad landing and no obvious finish point as a boulder prob)
Vome Alone 6A – Start on the face just left of the arete, climb direct to the ledges. This and the next problem are about E1 5c in old money
Vome Sweet Vome 6A – Left again, climb up with feet on ramps to gain thin hanging cracks and exit via the left arete. The original start to Vomer starts up this and goes right and is a decent 5
Full Moon Pie 6C – Directly above Hidden Buttress (where Hot Knives is), 50m or so left of Barrel Wall, is a block with a steep north face. SS and climb the centre of the face
* Squat Cobbler 7A+ - SS and climb the left arete of the face. Better and more involved than it looks

Wimberry
**Village Green SS 7A+ - Sit start to a neglected Dawes E3 6c. Adds some great steep slappy moves to a good route. Either jump/traverse off at the break, or much better finish up the top of the route which is E2 5b solo terrain

Laddow – South Buttress
** Animal Grace 6C - Central highball arete in quarry-like bay at far left end of crag (photo topo in OTM guide), climbed on LHS. E3 6b-ish in old money
** Pugnax 7A – Below the E4 arete The Price is Fright is a lower tier buttress. Climb the big steep prow starting in break under roof

Wyming Brook
Vampires and Stakeholder 6C+ - On the Backwater Barracuda buttress. The left side of the front has a steep prow split by a crack, climb this and the left side of the easier highball continuation arete

Demonsdale – Ashover - SK 35066228
A string of small natural limestone crags on the SW side of a valley South of Ashover.  Approached from parking in Fallgate along public footpath. Good rock and a nice location, another decent minor venue in the Amber Valley. There is a fair bit of potential for decent short trad routes/solos on very good rock, on the same buttress as the bouldering and on bits either side (bring gardening tools for the tops).
Bumcrack Pigeon 6C – An unusual roof problem inside the squarecut cave. Start on the leftwall (looking in) climb lovely pockets and tufas in the roof, back and rightwards to finish on the backwall. Potential for some fun Tom’s Roof style eliminates.
* <no name yet> 6C+ - 3m left of the cave entrance. Climb steeply past slopers to a jug on the right
<no name yet> 6B – 2m left of the cave entrance. Climb the crack feature leftwards to the same jug as above

The Roaches – Ou Est Le Spit area
** Proper Gander 7C – Mega problem on the Ou Est Le Spit buttress itself. Sit start in the cave on the RHS on two big pockets, gain the scoop above via thin and fat pinches. A long move out of the scoop gains a hard slopey exit which may be the finish to the mystery old E3 - Wolfman of the KGB. Brilliant climbing on sweet holds demanding a good range of grit skills
* Wolfman Sitter 7A+ - Starting in the same cave, this time further right on a smaller pair of pockets. Trav leftwards through the start holds of PG to gain and climb the ramp feature (footholds on PG) into the finish of PG
Dirty Late Topout 6C – The very far left prow/arete of the Too Drunk Boulder, sit starting in a flake just left of wide crack
* Mixed Beast Feast 7A+ - Just up and left of Proper Gander (20m west) in a sort of open gully behind the crag is a hanging prow with a groove in it. Climb the feature from a low start on sloper and roof layaway – only the RH footblock is in for feet
* Atomic Dustbin 7A+ - This is among the boulders at the back of Piece of Mind. On the second to lowest back bit at the base of the slope. The rounded left arete of a boulder forming the uphill half of a mini gully. Climb the RHS of this from a SS on arete and vague crack. Ned did the FA on this beauty.

Roaches Skyline – Boulders in Woods
A couple of nice lower tier-esque boulders in the bottom west corner of the woods. Most quickly accessed via Nth Cloud, also not too far from 5 Clouds. Looked to have been climbed on before but don’t think the harder prob has been done, at least not in recent years. There are another five or so easier probs I haven’t recorded here.
* Quite Something Else 7A – On the RH of the two boulders,climb  the central blunt rib with a reachy pull on with rib and chipped looking nick#
* To Flush a Retro Claim 6B – The left arete of the QSE boulder from sitting
Underneath the Larches 6A – On the lefthand boulder. Short arete to mantel, starting on break and arete crimp

Roaches – Nth Cloud

The Flakes RH 6B+ - Head right on slopers to a big flatty.

** The Real Thin 7A – Left side of the Crystal Voyager wall, starting just right of the corner. Quality highball on nice pockets and mini crimps. 7A+ extension possible starting as per CV.

Roaches – Bearstone Rock
This is the name given on the OS map to the westmost boulder at Roach End, obvious from the nearby parking. Worth a stop-off given it’s the shortest approach of any block on the crag.
* Ursa Major 7A+ - Climb the front right prow/arete from a sit start on a thin flake.  A hard move off an unhelpful pinch.

The usual caveats about grades being first guesses applies, especially as some where climbed in less than top connies. Will try to fill in missing names as and when I think of some.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 10:44:25 pm by Bonjoy, Reason: Names change and additions »

andy_e

• forum hero
* Sky Carbon 7B – A good variant/link-up for anyone struggling to turn the lip on Sky Diamond. Start as for SD, move right at the lip and finish as for Get a Grip

When was this? I did something similar, getting the big sidepull with my right hand and finishing up the groove just left of Get a Grip. "Lucy in the Sky" was my proposed name if it was deemed it warranted one, felt 7B/+ish.

Good effort on Veni Vidi Vici, tried it in the summer and thought it should go with some cooler temperatures. (Should say right of Gladiator shouldn't it?)

P.S. Quality names as always. My favourite from this haul is Tippi Hedren Collider.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Must have done that one during the last week of March as we were up there for the school hols. Has exactly the same start as SD and then just shuffles right a bit to finish using big hole (laybacking LHS).
Yeah, right of Gladiator! Will correct. Involved some knee-scumming as I recall.

dave

Nice work as usual BJ.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Just out of interest, Andy. Why do you only claim your new problems when somebody else puts in their claim?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Tippi Hedren Collider
Some good names, but this wins.

andy_e

• forum hero
As far as I'm aware I've never claimed a new problem (other than this, which is a bit of a variation on a pre-existing problem and I didn't deem it worth claiming).

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Honestly I'm not bothered either way, but so the correct name is used is your's the older ascent? Ironically this has reminded me of a name I intended to use on one of the <no name yet> probs at the Roaches - To Flush a Retro Claim   :lol:

The way I climbed it I thought it was a worthwhile addition. It kind of does the nice bits of both probs and the awkward bits of neither, plus has a cool link move. SD seems a good problem but the top move is uber bunched and very harsh on the skin. Certainly made the best of a wasted day for me when I couldn't manage the top of SD  :shrug:.

user deactivated

Hey Jon, how does the real thin compare to crystal voyager? Grade / quality wise. Good vision putting that up. I had looked left from the top pocket of crystal v and assumed it would go as harder than 7a!

andy_e

• forum hero
Nope, I did it in August. Martin also did Get a Grip into this finish as an afterthought after doing Aurora's Encore and we thought that should be named Double Diamond.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Dan - I'd thought the same and had always eyed up a kind of direct/LH version of Crystal Voyager. On closer inspection the line I'd envisaged didn't work, but I found some unobvious crimps which allowed pockets on the left to be link. The climbing is as good or better than CV and is a bit easier, I think CV is overgraded at 7b+ FWIW.
There's a good link-up still to do starting up CV and going into TRT. I'd have tried it the other day but only had one pad and no spot.

bolehillbilly

• stalker
Good work Jon and nice geographical spread of problems and knowledge.  Enjoying the Froggatt names in particular.  Respect to the man who gets around the district a bit!

user deactivated

Yeah I'd wondered about moving up left after the start of cv but you do have that gnarly block under you then. Crystal Voyager is over graded at 7b+ probably more like 7a+. The routes up there look awesome and that 8a up to the left 😮

Dolly

• forum hero
Nice one Jon.
Where is Seagull Tor though ?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Well known banned crag in Cratcliffe area formally known by a bird which rhymes with Seagull. Slight subterfuge to foil any casual browsing by landowners.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Ah, named after that famous martial artist Steven Seagull.

Dolly

• forum hero
Well known banned crag in Cratcliffe area formally known by a bird which rhymes with Seagull. Slight subterfuge to foil any casual browsing by landowners.

Ah OK

mark20

• junky
Laddow – South Buttress
** Animal Grace 6C - Central highball arete in quarry-like bay at far left end of crag (photo topo in OTM guide), climbed on LHS. E3 6b-ish in old money
** Pugnax 7A – Below the E4 arete The Price is Fright is a lower tier buttress. Climb the big steep prow starting in break under roof
Nice one Jon
Went up this weekend, enjoyed these. Also did 'Well Grubbed, Old Mole' E3 6b (font 6b) on the main edge. Matt did a desperate one mover on a wall just below the lower tier - will add to Peakbouldering.info once he thinks of a name. Didn't have time for a proper scout around but they may a few more bits to do around there.

Pugnax is like a mini Chip Shop Brawl

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
Thanks for the photos. Looks great. Well done Jon.

bolehillbilly

• stalker
Somehow ended up at Demonsdale this afternoon and did. Bumcrack Pigeon thing in the cave.
Surprisingly good fun 3D climbing on really interesting rock. Took a few goes to work out some weakling  beta.
Suspect this would be dry in most conditions as the side vent to the cave gives a good through breeze. Didn't do anything else as ended up going out with two right shoes.

SA Chris

• forum hero
That sucks, when you have two left feet.

bolehillbilly

• stalker
Ha, not the first time, I went to the wall with two left shoes a couple of weeks back.  Maybe eed to keep some spare feet in the climbing bag for future instances.

El Mocho

• forum abuser
The Roaches – Ou Est Le Spit area
** Proper Gander 7C – Mega problem on the Ou Est Le Spit buttress itself. Sit start in the cave on the RHS on two big pockets, gain the scoop above via thin and fat pinches. A long move out of the scoop gains a hard slopey exit which may be the finish to the mystery old E3 - Wolfman of the KGB. Brilliant climbing on sweet holds demanding a good range of grit skills
* Wolfman Sitter 7A+ - Starting in the same cave, this time further right on a smaller pair of pockets. Trav leftwards through the start holds of PG to gain and climb the ramp feature (footholds on PG) into the finish of PG

Did Proper G yesterday, nice. Nearly gave myself a hernia on the top out, old school E3 is hard! Spent a little while trying to finish the bolder problem direct but guess you move left with your feet on the big footholds?

Also did that Leathered trav, didn't have a kneepad and couldn't get the knee bar to fit anyway but I don't think it makes any dif to the grade.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Nice one. How did you manage the crux on P G without a kneepad!? I finished up the scoop direct above the big foothold (handhold on Wolfman SS). Thought it might be easier further left but the landing is much worse. Direct above the broad pinch would be heinous!
I used the pad on Leathered to match the ramp after doing the arete bit. Would expect the same sequence would work without the bar. The bar deffo seemed more crucial on PG.

El Mocho

• forum abuser
I ended up kinda slapping up (from the lip) with R hand to the highish pinch (as a backhand), then nearly ripped myself apart holding it and getting weight onto L foot. Went L to nice pinch, r to top lip, flicked l to wide pinch/side pull to left and did a big stretch to higher sloping top (with feet on big foot hold) then started swimming. The landing seemed just about ok although I was aware not to fall to the left, would have been nice with an extra pad. I didn't know you used a knee pad on PG thought it was just for Leathered, I should probably get one but I never get round to it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal