UKBouldering.com

The climbing scene in Sheffield (split topic) (Read 27247 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
This is exactly why I dont want to be part of the climbing scene in Sheffield tm

a dense loner

• forum hero
What do you mean by that? You think the same conversation doesn't go on in the lakes?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
I was being wry. It's what Ed Hamer said yesterday on Facebook and is a common view that the Sheffield "scene" is highly critical and negative goldfish bowl

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Crikey shark, don't be so cliquey.

Doylo

• forum hero
Tony Simpson was the most hated man of Facebook yesterday criticising Robbie Philips and Ed Hamer for padding out trad routes. But he's not the fabled 'Sheffield scene' is he.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Crikey shark, don't be so cliquey.

Sorry - I was pissed last night

AlistairB

• addict
Tony Simpson was the most hated man of Facebook yesterday criticising Robbie Philips and Ed Hamer for padding out trad routes. But he's not the fabled 'Sheffield scene' is he.

Based on how important he thinks this stuff is I reckon he's the UKC forums' ambassador to Facebook.

:off:

a dense loner

• forum hero
Right who is this fabled sheffield scene? I climb with Sam, Dom, nine toes and California and I occasionally drink coffee while Farrar climbs, and see Jamie big hands 3 times a year. I don't go to the pub with any of them. Who the fuck is part of this "scene"? I want to know

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Quite. Sheffield is too big climbing-wise to have a single distinct identifiable scene especially now climbing is more diverse. Nevertheless I can see how it could be viewed as an uncomfortable place to move to for someone who whilst happy to receive unquestioning applause for achievement but seemingly isn't prepared to face up to scrutiny or criticism.

fried

• forum hero
I thought all you Sheffield mafia lived together in a big loft, kinda like Friends with whippets.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
You are correct (ish)

It used to be called the Broadfield and before that, the Porter Cottage.

petejh

• forum hero
Quite. Sheffield is too big climbing-wise to have a single distinct identifiable scene especially now climbing is more diverse. Nevertheless I can see how it could be viewed as an uncomfortable place to move to for someone who whilst happy to receive unquestioning applause for achievement but seemingly isn't prepared to face up to scrutiny or criticism.

North Wales is the place for unquestioning applause.. You only have to dog 6a+ on Pen Trwyn and some cunt tells you how brave you are.

abarro81

• forum hero
Based on how important he thinks this stuff is I reckon he's the UKC forums' ambassador to Facebook.
I didn't know what this was about so just looked on Ed's FB. It might be a boring topic, but the responses to TS were generally significantly more moronic than the posts he was making.

I can see how it could be viewed as an uncomfortable place to move to for someone who whilst happy to receive unquestioning applause for achievement but seemingly isn't prepared to face up to scrutiny or criticism.
I like that. If your grammar weren't so bad it'd make a good quote ;)

andy popp

• forum hero
I didn't know what this was about so just looked on Ed's FB. It might be a boring topic, but the responses to TS were generally significantly more moronic than the posts he was making.

Sadly very true.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut

Christ's crack, you're not wrong. Significantly more UKC-esque than TS's original post too. Bunch of narrow-visioned knee-jerk yes-men who don't seem to grasp the role and value of style in climbing. Sure someone's personal FB post might not be the best place to raise stylistic issues but doesn't anyone have to brains to post something as simple as "Yeah fair enough the style could be better but I'm sure Ed's proud of his climb anyway" instead of going for mass hysteria and shooting the messenger.

Right, gotta get back to working out which Pen Trywn 6a+ to dog next...

AlistairB

• addict

Fair point, not really the thread for this anyway.

On topic, I am excited for the film, whenever it may arrive.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
I went to The Broadfield on Saturday night and The Plantation on Sunday morning

I didn't see any climbers I knew

I am the scene

a dense loner

• forum hero
Judge Lagers

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre

I went to The Broadfield on Saturday night and The Plantation on Sunday morning

I didn't see any climbers I knew

I am the scene

Stop making one!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
Judge Lagers

fuck yeah!

I get to decide whether unwitnessed ascents can be claimed and when pads are allowed - no one else

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
I'll second that, a dictatorship is what climbing needs now more than ever.

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
This is true:
Many years ago when Lagers did some work with me he took to strutting up and down beneath the ladder I was on; his chest puffed out. We were working at Bolsover castle which is within sight and sound of the M1. I asked him what he was doing:
"The motorway traffic sort of sounds like a crowd roaring in the distance and there's a balcony out front, so I was pretending to be Robollini, Dictator of all South Yorkshire, preparing to go out and address my subjects."
Was the reply.
I leave you to draw your own conclusions.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
fancy a job as leader of the tick mark death squads, Joe?

you'd get full Dredd style authority

and a Hugo Boss uniform

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
Can I have a uniform and an official role?

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)

Lagers and Joe on the left

They are the sit start "SS" death squad.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal