UKBouldering.com

Disappearing / deleted text messages on Android phones / backing up. (Read 6264 times)

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I have looked on the Android forums and this is apparently really common, specifically with HTC phones.

I got a message notification earlier, went to check the new message and there was nothing in my message folder at all; no received messages, no sent messages and none of the 'locked' messages which I had chosen to save.  The whole lot is gone, deleted by some bug or other apparently.   :'(

There doesn't seem to be a fix for this so I want to install some kind of back up thing to stop it happening again (this is the best advice HTC are giving to anyone who contact them about the issue).  I have heard (online / on the Android forums) that the back up to Gmail app is pretty good, has anyone used it before?  Or does anyone use another one which they would recommend, I just want to back up my SMS and my contacts if possible.  I am happy to pay if it's one that will definitely work.

Help me, please, wise techy types.  :-*

Paul B

• forum hero
The best option for a full backup is to use 'unrevoked' and then 'Nandroid' backup to take a full system image of your phone.

The other option is Titanium backup but I'm not sure if that required root access (via unrevoked, it looks easy on phones that are supported).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Can't help with text-message back up as its not something I've needed yet so have no idea what the options are.

My approach to contacts though is to enter everyone into my contact list when logged into my Google Account and just let the phone sync these.  This way you don't ever have to worry about having to back up your contacts. 

When creating a contact through the phone (because you're not near a computer to enter the details there) just make sure the "Contact type" field is set to "Google" (as oppossed to "SIM" or "Phone") and they'll be added to your Google Contacts list and synced to your google account.

You can't can't do this with Farcebook because they're a bunch of cnuts who don't allow Google reciprocal access, so my advice on that front would be to spend half-an-hour (or quite possibly more depending on how many contacts you have) manually adding Farcebook only contacts to your Google account.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I've got it synced with my Google account and that works well except for the fact that it won't sync old contacts, it only adds new contacts (ones I have added to the phone book since getting the new phone) to my Gmail account and I can't work out how to get it to pick up all the others?  Surely there must be a way.

Paul I don't understand half of what you've said.  :no:  This could be a big part of the problem, I have no clue how the stupid thing works.

Stupid complicated computer phone.  :ras:

Paul B

• forum hero
Paul I don't understand half of what you've said.  :no:  This could be a big part of the problem, I have no clue how the stupid thing works.

Basically 'root access' is what you need to change some things that either manufacturers (Motorola aside) and service providers don't want you to have access to. In a lot of cases you can get this by using a program called 'unrevoked'. Its a windows/linux program that allows you to plug your phone in and enable this access (it also now unlocks your phone so it'd work on any network).

This access then allows programs such as Titanium backup and Nandroid to do their 'thang'. The latter savess a system image which is everything about your phone, from contacts, to apps to settings all in an image file which its then very easy to restore to (you can even make it do this all by itself I believe, easily too).

It also allows for lots of geekery too but thats irrelevant.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I've got it synced with my Google account and that works well except for the fact that it won't sync old contacts, it only adds new contacts (ones I have added to the phone book since getting the new phone) to my Gmail account and I can't work out how to get it to pick up all the others?  Surely there must be a way.

There usually is, the fun part is working it out  ;)

Go into "People" and then hit "Menu" and select "Import/Export" you have the option to "Import from SIM card" (as well as "Import from SD card" and "Export to SD card").  I don't actually have any contacts saved on my SIM to import so I've no idea what selecting this will do, but I'd hazard a guess that it will import them to your Google account when your phone next Syncs (this thread mentions having to select "Google" when doing so which would make sense as you are selecting where to import them to).

Quick googling to check that this works led to another walk through describing exactly the same as above.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I kind of understand now, Paul, thank you.  I am a bit frightened of knowing what goes on inside the phone though, it's bound to just confuse me further.    :slap:

I've fixed it now, in a similar way to you suggested, Slackers.  I put all my contacts onto my SD card, it makes a special file (technical) which I then saved to my desktop, then I went into Google Mail and uploaded the 'special file' to my account and low and behold all the info is now in my contacts.

I'll check that walk through out as well, in case it will do it for me in future.

Cheers for the help, gents.   :thumbsup:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
 :thumbsup: good work sussing it out magpie :clap2:

Fatboy

• menacing presence
  • BFG (Bouldering Freak of Gangliness)
Sorry guys, only saw this thread now.
Two great apps for backing up and restoring your SMS and call logs - I use both religiously;
SMS: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore
Call logs: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.riteshsahu.CallLogBackupRestore

Both save your info to an Excel file on the SD card in the phone meaning you can save them from there to you PC etc if you are super-paranoid, and even view them on your computer completely independently of the app itself!

Any questions just shout...  :geek:

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
:thumbsup: good work sussing it out magpie :clap2:
I'm slow but I usually get there in the end with a wee nudge in the right direction.   ;D

Ta fatboy, I've downloaded a VERY simple one now that saves my SMS and MMS to GMail so that should do it for now hopefully.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
Have you got a Desire HD Magpie? Bit off topic I know but thinking of upgrading, what d'ya make of them?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
At the risk of a possibly useful thread turning into another "what phone" one........see here:

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,15975.msg302730.html#msg302730

:)

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Jasper has linked you up, but yeah, other than this stupid missing text issue I do really like it.  :yes:

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
Thanks Magpie, sorry Jasper!

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
on windows mobile there is a program called PIMbackup which allows you to back up your contact/texts/email/programs/etc..., dead easy to use. I'm sure there is the equivalent on android.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal