UKBouldering.com

Parking probs at Shaftoe (Read 4883 times)

jdal

• regular
Parking probs at Shaftoe
February 03, 2011, 06:43:19 pm
John Earl tells me that they were parking at the pond at Shaftoe when a guy drove all the way down the track to have a bit of a go at them about them parking there. Turns out he's the shepherd and he doesn't want parking there. It's a private road is that bit, so he's got every right.

So despite what anyone at the local pub may tell you, parking at the pond is not allowed.  The proper parking is at the dry stone wall after the 1st cattle grid.

jdal

• regular
#1 Re: Parking probs at Shaftoe
February 08, 2011, 09:57:52 am
Just a shameless bump to get some more coverage.

:spam:

rodma

• forum hero
#2 Re: Parking probs at Shaftoe
February 08, 2011, 11:55:28 am
Is the dry stone wall just as you enter the field after the row of houses?

jdal

• regular
#3 Re: Parking probs at Shaftoe
February 08, 2011, 03:36:33 pm
Yep, that's the one. Loads of space for parking and closer to the N end and the Rift.

rodma

• forum hero
#4 Re: Parking probs at Shaftoe
February 09, 2011, 01:12:47 pm
Whew, that's the only place I've ever parked.

I didn't realise people were driving further in.

philo

• forum hero
#5 Re: Parking probs at Shaftoe
February 25, 2011, 01:59:10 am
Just seen this, its a nice walk in anyway.  Also John, when night bouldering we have sometimes been followed to see "who the fuck is on my land at night" by the farmer but have always been walking up past the pond way when we see him drive down to check it out - who can we inform that we are going to be stomping around at the later hours in the summer?  Of course we drive at 2mph and as quietly as possible, but it would be nice to pop off an email or a quick call to say hi, 3 of us heading up about 9 if your wondering who it is etc etc

lemony

• player
#6 Re: Parking probs at Shaftoe
February 25, 2011, 12:03:44 pm
Always seemed a bit pointless driving down to the bottom anyway, it's only a hundred yards walk and you see some spectacularly inconsiderate parking down by the pond.

jdal

• regular
#7 Re: Parking probs at Shaftoe
February 25, 2011, 01:13:12 pm
Just seen this, its a nice walk in anyway.  Also John, when night bouldering we have sometimes been followed to see "who the fuck is on my land at night" by the farmer but have always been walking up past the pond way when we see him drive down to check it out - who can we inform that we are going to be stomping around at the later hours in the summer?  Of course we drive at 2mph and as quietly as possible, but it would be nice to pop off an email or a quick call to say hi, 3 of us heading up about 9 if your wondering who it is etc etc

The short answer is I don't know who the farmer is, I believe there are at least 2. The guy at Middleton Bank Top (the farm at the N End) definitely has beasts on the land north of the stone wall you park at, and I've seen someone different shepherding on the field south of the pond - I think he's from East Shaftoe Hall.  Assuming the wall is the dividing line, then if you're heading south of there I'd guess East Shaftoe Hall would be the place to tell. However, he may rather not know you're there. Some people will just say "no" if asked for a decision, which is fair enough.

At that time of night it's probably best if you miss out the pond. Park as normal and walk in along beside the wall,  through the gate onto the moor and then down the path that goes over the escarpment. You stay on rights of way, and I don't think it's any further. A bit boggy in places though.

I'll mention it to the Acess bod in any cae. Thanks for the info.

jdal

• regular
#8 Re: Parking probs at Shaftoe
February 25, 2011, 01:31:11 pm
I've just had a check on the OS map and it's EXACTLY the same distance from Middleton Bank Top to the Cob as it is from the usual spot by the wall. 0.87 miles. So go past the Shaftoe road end for a mile and a half and park by the side of the road opposite the farm, at the fingerpost. No problems :thumbsup:

It has the added advantage of being even closer for Font/Turtle Rock/The Neb and you also go past all the N End stuff. I think this should be the recommended route, except being boulderers you'd all probably get lost and spend the night wandering around the moor. ;)

And the clincher - IT'S CLOSER TO THE PUB.  :beer2: :great:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal