the shizzle > diet, training and injuries
Freestanding Folding portable pull up bar/dip station AKA HOTGYM
<< < (2/3) > >>
JamesD:
Yeah, real problem is though, is the house I live in (which is rented), is built about as sturdily as a cardboard box, so none of the doorways seem strong enough to cope with my weight, about 16 stone 10lbs at the moment (fat bastard I know).
So my two options are, drill something into the brickwork outside, or find/build something freestanding I can use inside.
Norton Sharley:
They would have to be really shit door frames not to hold your weight.  The supports on the Powerbar sit well to the side of the door so virtually all the load is straight down onto the jambs (vertical part of the frame).  In other words it aint like pulling straight down in the middle of the lintel.  That's my 2p of help, I'll leave you to sort yourself out now, good luck.
Dr T:
You could drill through on the "feet" and bolt to the floor...
but otherwise I'd agree looks very likely to wobble leading to ouchies
Tim Broughtonshaw:
You could stablise the base with some barbell plates if you have them. Remember the commerical gym i used to go to did this even though its freestanding pullup bars were very sturdy looking.

Cheers
tim
lagerstarfish:
My suggestion - get one of those pull up bars from Argos

screw the holding discs into the door frame as normal, unscrew the bar to fit as normal, but stop when the door frame starts to bend out. Then use two vertical lengths of wood to support the ends of the bar (floor to bar length) - take the wood and bar away when you don't need them.

the door frame will keep it all stable while the wood props take a lot of the weight.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page

Go to full version