UKBouldering.com

New member saying hi... (Read 9201 times)

gremlin

• stalker
  • Ripped, but still shit!
    • Java shit
New member saying hi...
December 04, 2009, 08:46:45 pm
Hi,

just joined the forum and thought I would say hi.
I'm a novice boulderer @ 4 months and have been bouldering indoors at Manchester and Preston and outdoors at Brownstones.

Anyone got any tips for building good technique and stength? Also, how can I stop my hands from getting shredded to bits (they seem to take ages to heal and then they just crack).

Ta.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#1 Re: New member saying hi...
December 04, 2009, 09:12:16 pm
 :wave:

When you start out the best way to get better is to go climbing more! Honest, just make sure you're enjoying it and you'll get much better, especially if you're climbing with people a touch more experienced than you and if you're doing it lots.
Skin gets tougher the more you use it. I've heard that ClimbOn cream is good to use. Also been told that Vitamin E is good to rub into thinning skin to encourage growth.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#2 Re: New member saying hi...
December 04, 2009, 09:15:39 pm
Hello!

Will is right, climb lots, with people who are a bit better than you, watch how they do problems and get up stuff, and for your hands try Climb On or Lotil at night, it's really good for dry and sore skin.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3 Re: New member saying hi...
December 04, 2009, 09:21:53 pm
While I was writing this Will and Maggers have already said the same thing but it's worth repeating!........

Building good technique and strength? The simple answer is climb more. Four months in you're getting outside and you're training at two different venues. I'd say that's pretty good as a lot of people getting into the sport these days just climb indoors at one place for ages before considering diversifying and most importantly actually climbing on rock.

Try as many different types of problem as possible, climb with people better than you and above all enjoy it. You'll improve with time.

Help your skin to regenerate by moisturising. Any will help but for me The Don is Dream Cream from Lush. Use a little bit daily and you'll see a big difference. It's about 10 quid a tub but it'll last for months........ provided your Mrs doesn't nick it.

Oh and  :wave: welcome to the best forum on the www.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#4 Re: New member saying hi...
December 04, 2009, 09:26:25 pm
ciao! welcome!
i use a 99% pure aloe gel.
when you will start climbing more technically and precisely your hands will appreciate it!
you're lucky, the first times and years in the discipline are so fucking cool!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: New member saying hi...
December 04, 2009, 11:05:52 pm
stfu noob! (joking)

Wot t'others said. Get out on the rock. Mileage is the best way.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#6 Re: New member saying hi...
December 04, 2009, 11:15:01 pm
Work your way through this and you'll be fine.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#7 Re: New member saying hi...
December 05, 2009, 07:17:06 am
Also, how can I stop my hands from getting shredded to bits (they seem to take ages to heal and then they just crack).

Hi  :wave:

wash chalk off your hands as soon as you finish your session - especially the bits under/around your nails. This will prevent some drying.
Moisturise.
Don't let hard lumps develop on your skin - these can rip off and take weeks to heal. They might look like useful patches of extra tough skin, but filing them down and moisturising them will help prevent the dreaded "flapper".

gremlin

• stalker
    • Java shit
#8 Re: New member saying hi...
December 05, 2009, 09:36:18 am
Thanks for the warm welcome and advice, one and all, especially how to avoid the dreaded 'flapper' - which is what I currently have at the moment and can't climb now till it heals.

Definately hear what your saying about climbing with more experienced people, but unfortunately my climbing buddies are newbies too! However, have found one of the instructors at Preston really helpful in terms of advice on technique, so that's a plus.

I haven't done much climbing outdoors at Brownstones as I don't yet have a crash matt, so it's been mostly traversing around the pond. The pdf document looks great BTW, someones put a lot of work into that.

BFN.

P.S. Will be checking the hookups section to see if anyone is bouldering near me next weekend and doesn't mind a hanger on :)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#9 Re: New member saying hi...
December 05, 2009, 09:46:23 am
If the flapper isn't major you can just put a bit of finger tape over it when you climb.

gremlin

• stalker
    • Java shit
#10 Re: New member saying hi...
December 05, 2009, 09:54:26 am
If the flapper isn't major you can just put a bit of finger tape over it when you climb.

Yeah, I think I will. I haven't been climbing since Wednesday and I'm itching to get out and do some more.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#11 Re: New member saying hi...
December 05, 2009, 07:02:16 pm
Welcome  :wave:

You don't have to know the people at the wall to be able to watch them, or even learn from them.  Everyone's gone through the same learning curve, so if you see someone doing a problem you're struggling on and you can't work out what they're doing different by simply watching them don't be afraid to ask them, more often than not you'll get an enthusiastic and helpful response and you might even make a new friend :hug:

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#12 Re: New member saying hi...
December 05, 2009, 07:06:11 pm
Ignore the 'tards and start spraying about your latest font 8c and how you flashed the joker etc.

Now seriously, just remember that even the uber wads climbing big numbers are (in my experience) more than willing to spend time passing on a little benefit of their experience.

There's one thing I would say is you can never be too technical, ignore all the bollox about strength and get working on your technique.  If nothing else it means when you're old and weak you can still get up the odd problem.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#13 Re: New member saying hi...
December 05, 2009, 07:09:17 pm
If you're at West view and see a lankytwat with a beer gut, say hello  :wave:

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#14 Re: New member saying hi...
December 05, 2009, 07:11:48 pm
I never thought your description had the words 'beer gut' in it?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#15 Re: New member saying hi...
December 05, 2009, 07:43:03 pm
Didn't have enough characters to include that part.

clm

• forum hero
#16 Re: New member saying hi...
December 06, 2009, 06:12:29 pm
dont let a flapper stop you climbing. Surprising how the need to bear down overrides the discomfort of shit skin. Secondly, dont let not having a pad stop you going outside. Loads of other people will have them at most venues and will happily share plus loads of problems dont really need them. Plenty on here started before they were invented. Just take a rag to wipe your feet.

gremlin

• stalker
    • Java shit
#17 Re: New member saying hi...
December 06, 2009, 07:48:04 pm
Thanks CLM. I taped up the offending 'flapper' and went to Preston for a bit of top roping and bouldering and didin't even feel (much) pain.

Think I may have done my first V4, I'll have to check the grading when I go back but was chuffed to bits! I know the gradings can be a bit subjective.
If anyone's going to Preston it's the new overhanging yellow route, first one on the right as you look at the bouldering cave.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#18 Re: New member saying hi...
December 06, 2009, 09:33:29 pm
Yeah, flashed that this morning  8)
Pretty fair for V4 I guess.  Well done.

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#19 Re: New member saying hi...
January 05, 2010, 05:19:46 pm
Hey everybody, I thought rather than starting a new thread, i'd jump in on this one and just say Hi on behalf of me and my girlfriend.
She's been Bouldering indoors for a few months now, and i've just started going regularly for a few weeks and really enjoy it, not quite up on all the terminology just yet, but looking forward to learning more.
We're London Locals so sadly not many actual rocks down this way, but have been having a good time at our local indoor wall (Mile End climbing wall), and looking forward to trying out The Castle soon which has a great reputation from what I have heard, and lots more fun bouldering bits to play on  ;D
I got the girlfriend her first pair of shoes and chalk bag for xmas, and now i'm jealous enough to want my own too, so no doubt i'll be waxing lyrical about how much I love my first pair of shoes shortly after payday, if this irritates you I apologize in advance.
The one irritating yet slightly funny thing about bouldering I have discovered so far, is technique aside, it seems to require very specific strength in certain areas, I have a fairly active lifestyle:
Bmx'ed for 10 years (now the bmx is gone I hope to do the same thing on a 24 inch street mtb soon), snowboarded for 4 years, ride regularly on the roads, and did some amateur powerlifting comps for a year briefly, it all seems to count for Jack Shit when bouldering!
I have done quite a bit of grip work in the past, I can still close a COC 1 comfortably for 2-3 reps, (used to be able to just about do the 2 at my peak but depressingly I think i'll have to work back up to that), I thought yeah, good grip strength i'll be fine....but even after years of abusing my body in many ways, I still wake up the next morning after every indoor session, aching in ways I never knew I could ache :lol: and a big smile accompanying my aches, I think i've found a new addiction....anyways, Hi.

James & Conny

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#20 Re: New member saying hi...
January 06, 2010, 07:14:17 am
Hello :wave:

Sounds like your enjoying it, remember its about having fun not numbers or power (despite what others might lead you to believe).

Oh and get out on proper rock as soon as possible t'is great.

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#21 Re: New member saying hi...
January 06, 2010, 11:38:18 am
Yup, I think its absolutely great fun, I love the sheer simplicity of it, you, your hands...your feet, and thats it :)
I think I might sneak out on my lunch-break today and buy some shoes from snow and rock down the road, going for an indoor session tonight with the missus and I still have shoe envy.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#22 Re: New member saying hi...
January 06, 2010, 12:52:45 pm
Dont forget the chalk bag, chalk bucket, finger tape, toothbrush on a stick, toothbrush not on a stick, guidebook, bouldering mats, shoe cleaning rag, beanie collection. Did I miss anything?

Plattsy

• forum hero
#23 Re: New member saying hi...
January 06, 2010, 12:59:08 pm
Big bag of banter, encouragement  & syke.

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#24 Re: New member saying hi...
January 06, 2010, 02:24:10 pm
Dont forget the chalk bag, chalk bucket, finger tape, toothbrush on a stick, toothbrush not on a stick, guidebook, bouldering mats, shoe cleaning rag, beanie collection. Did I miss anything?

I currently nick chalk from the Missus's chalk bag, why would I want a bucket?!, don't need finger tape just yet thankfully, what the hell is that toothbrush thing about... its an indoor wall whats the point, saying that...could be useful for those
mid-descent breath checks before greeting the missus at the bottom, I guess the rest of the stuff is for those folk that are cool enough to climb real boulders, can't say i've joined the club just yet, but maybe when it gets a little warmer  ;)

She who must be obeyed said no shoes until payday, so that killed my lunch time plans, i'm eyeing up the Red Chilli Matadors at the moment, they look the shiznit, why does payday always feel too far away, especially after xmas!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal