UKBouldering.com

Isle of Man (Read 4803 times)

stonemonkey

• regular
Isle of Man
June 18, 2009, 10:26:20 am
Im off out to the isle of man over the summer for a bit to visit my gf, anyone know what the state of bouldering is like out there? I know theres plenty of beaches etc. but wanted to know if it was worth taking a mat on the plane  :-\

dave

#1 Re: Isle of Man
June 18, 2009, 10:30:55 am

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2 Re: Isle of Man
June 18, 2009, 10:31:08 am
Might be worth PM'ing nik at work as there's a recent blog entry on the Isle of Man.

aly

• addict
#3 Re: Isle of Man
June 18, 2009, 10:33:05 am
The bouldering I've done was pretty cool (if a little esoteric) but you'll need some insider info to find the best of it I'd think.  Nik from on here had done a load out there I think??  I'll point this thread out to another local I know who may be of help as well.  I'd have though it would be worth throwing your harness in as well (if you're into that kind of stuff) as some of the crags are pretty mega.

stonemonkey

• regular
#4 Re: Isle of Man
June 18, 2009, 10:44:11 am
cheers, ill try get some form of guide and a local to enlighten me when i get there. Ill try teach my gf to belay so i can get out on some trad too

jkarran

#5 Re: Isle of Man
June 18, 2009, 11:05:40 am
That other (ex) local would be me.

I'm biased but I think the bouldering is excellent. It's poorly documented, a little fickle conditionswise and often tidal so finding a local to show you the areas is the best bet. Failing that, the areas worth checking out are:

Peel: Limited DWS 'bouldering' around the back of the castle - weird but fun on a nice calm evening http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=69468

Peel: Good, steep wave polished sandstone on the beach ~300m north of the skatepark on the promenade. There's good areas in the cave and on the beach but the pebbles rise and fall with storms, usually this time of year it's good. This is my favorite area. http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=71524

Laxey: ~300m South of the promenade there's a nice cluster of boulders, Nik has documented these and there's a topo available somewhere on this site (not sure where, I don't use the site much).

Douglas, Marine Drive: There's a dead end road heading south down the coast from Douglas. On the beach below it (you'll have to park up and walk where the road is closed) is a wrecked boat, on the beach ~300m north of the wreck is some good bouldering. It's tidal but dries ok in a breeze. Approach carefully down the steep scree.

Chasms beach: This one is a little hard to find. From Cregneash, walk down toward the old chasms cafe then turn right and follow the coastal path about 500m until it opens out into a patch of bracken on the left. Battle through that then pick your way carefully down the slabs to the sea. Theres a couple of isolated boulders and a huge wave of steep slate http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=86593

Santon: Park at Port Grenaugh on the east coast (between Douglas and the airport) and follow the coastal path ~1km until you get to a small bridge over a stream, there's a grassy rake on your right leading down to an isolated boulder and a wrecked marine engine. There's also a hidden gully full of short routes with bouldery starts just a few meters to the south. Tidal and fickle but worth a look if you fancy a walk.

Bradda: There's a good area on the beach behind Bradda (Port Erin) but it requires seasonal cleaning and I've no idea if it's been done this year. There's also a load of possibilities for further development lurking in the caves below this headland but the approaches are complex and frightening.

Scarlett: A little limestone wall near Castletown, maybe not worth a visit purely for bouldering but a nice place for a wander. The wall is directly below the visitor's center http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=86591

You'll want a pad at all the venues listed and I'd say it's worth taking one with you. I'll PM the phone no of a local who's always enthusiastic, if he's about I'm sure he'd love to show the place off. If you're into trad too then I'd definitely get in touch with Doug, some of the routes are cool but they're as yet undocumented.

stonemonkey

• regular
#6 Re: Isle of Man
June 18, 2009, 11:19:55 am
thats loads of help thanks, im sure ill be able to find some of these spots, if not i can drag the mrs along to help. I think i will be taking a mat with me now  ;D

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#7 Re: Isle of Man
June 18, 2009, 12:01:49 pm
Nik's done a Laxey guide on our Vimeo page.

stonemonkey

• regular
#8 Re: Isle of Man
June 18, 2009, 12:25:16 pm
excellent, cheers

nik at work

• forum hero
#9 Re: Isle of Man
June 18, 2009, 02:09:06 pm
I'll be over there from next thursday for a week and a half. If that coincides with your visit let me know and we can meet up and I'll give you a tour of what I know.
Brief summary:
Laxey Beach - nice but limited, as documented guide unsurprisingly.
Peel - a bit more here, can have weirdly fickle conditions but on a good day probably the vest bouldering spot (I've been to) on the island.
Santon - a pretty much impossible to find gully unless you're with a local, nice but not loads of problems.
Scarlett - like a shit version of minus ten if you can conceive such a thing (actually that's probably a bit unfair).

dave

#10 Re: Isle of Man
June 18, 2009, 02:10:35 pm
probably the vest bouldering spot

sounds like wifebeaters are mandatory.

stonemonkey

• regular
#11 Re: Isle of Man
June 18, 2009, 05:42:18 pm
unfortunately our visits dont match. im there the 13th to the 18th of july

GCW

• forum hero