UKBouldering.com

will power (Read 2994 times)

dave

will power
June 17, 2009, 11:00:13 am
this one goes out to all yo responsible muthafuckers with various dependants.

I've got a mate in prison who's realised it'd probably be a good idea for him and his also-incarcerated shortie to write some will/s so that when they go to the chair everything is gravy for the ankle-biter. you dig?

so, does anyone have any advice on this shit? like willheads in sheffside who're not wack, anyone to avoid, any pointers? It goes without saying that my aquaintance held at her majesties pleasure would like to ensure all the usual conventions are adhered to, like making sure any beneficaries have a mandatory overnight stay in a haunted gothic mansion with hilarious consequences etc etc.

so fire away.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#1 Re: will power
June 17, 2009, 11:14:42 am
If they have assets of under £250k then the law of intestacy determines that their estate passes to their spouse (assuming they're married) and then on to their dependents.  Given this they might not actually need a will.

The big issue when drawing a will is to consider who the executor / executrix is going to be.  Solicitors are known to charge on a time basis plus a percentage of the estate for doing, in many cases f--k all.

I would always avoid Irwin Mitchell.

dave

#2 Re: will power
June 17, 2009, 11:18:36 am
If they have assets of under £250k then the law of intestacy determines that their estate passes to their spouse (assuming they're married) and then on to their dependents.  Given this they might not actually need a will.

yeah I know this, but isn't it all a lot easier for everyone if there's a will anyway? isn't there also some shit about avoiding inheritance tax etc etc etc. plus don't forget the night in the haunted house.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3 Re: will power
June 17, 2009, 11:25:20 am
You can do em yourself unless it's a complicated situation too. Having said that we got em done for free as it was a perk of joining the union my Mrs is in. The solicitors were useless wankers though and I'd have been well pissed off if we'd had to pay them a penny. When I read the wills they'd prepared I realised that there was nothing in there that we couldn't have done ourselves with the pack you can buy from a stationers. This includes any special requests such as haunted houses.

IHT isn't a concern unless your estate is over £325k (or £650k for a married couple).

dave

#4 Re: will power
June 17, 2009, 11:30:59 am
Was your shortie's union Unison by any chance? if so i can get the same free shit.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#5 Re: will power
June 17, 2009, 11:34:09 am
No it was GMB unfortunately. She has since switched to Unison as it turned out there was no representative of GMB in her office (but only after we'd got the free will thing obviously).

EDIT:

Unison do it too.

http://www.thompsons.law.co.uk/unison/wills.htm

dave

#6 Re: will power
June 17, 2009, 11:38:50 am
is that the same place that were "useless wankers" then or was yours a different firm? my experience of solicitors is its largely dependent on whihc individual you get, some choads will work at reputable firms and vice versa.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#7 Re: will power
June 17, 2009, 11:52:10 am
Think it was them but yeah, it's just a case of who you get and we got a smug condescending prick. It was free however and despite it taking longer than it should have and having to fill out forms twice etc it did get done properly in the end.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#8 Re: will power
June 17, 2009, 11:54:54 am
Jasper don't encourage Fiend, he'll only start planning a new series of guide books with all the routes in grade order

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#9 Re: will power
June 17, 2009, 12:00:03 pm

This is assuming you don't have an existing will? I had to draw one up when I was in the forces, so had to get a new one drawn up when we bought house together (not married). Interestingly, if we both die at the same time, the solicitor reckoned it would all go to her family as she is younger than me and it is therefore presumed she would have outlived me? Bizarre.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#10 Re: will power
June 17, 2009, 12:06:50 pm
Interestingly, if we both die at the same time, the solicitor reckoned it would all go to her family as she is younger than me and it is therefore presumed she would have outlived me? Bizarre.

Statistically life expectancy is greater for females anyway, although how the executors can see into the future to confirm this would have been the case in a specific instance is indeed baffling.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#11 Re: will power
June 17, 2009, 12:09:52 pm
Although people in my family seem to hang about for a while, so that should be factored in; one grandparent currently at 95 and 2 great grandparents also made it to mid 90s.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#12 Re: will power
June 17, 2009, 12:12:14 pm
although how the executors can see into the future to confirm this would have been the case in a specific instance is indeed baffling.

?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#13 Re: will power
June 17, 2009, 12:15:25 pm
 :lol: Philip K. Dick is brilliant!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal