UKBouldering.com

Wind Erosion (Read 15228 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Wind Erosion
February 26, 2009, 03:26:55 pm
Hello, might be a bit of a random question... but here goes.

Just been talking to a colleague about evidence for past wind erosion on gritstone outcrops in N.England. Some of the features, in particular free standing pinnacles, on Yorkshire's gritstone crags bear all the hall marks of the aeolian erosion seen on ventifacts found in arid areas.

I was wondering if the collective brain of UKB could tell me of where you think there are such features? Obviously some of the features at Brimham spring to mind... Piccies welcome if you have any...
Thanks,
Tom

PS - reason we're asking is whether a. they are from early holocene periglacial times or earlier and b. whether its possible to reconstruct palaeo wind directions from then via the orientation of the features...

e.g.

Rabies

• regular
#1 Re: Wind Erosion
February 26, 2009, 03:38:06 pm
Bridestones maybe, not sure that is strictly wind erosion though

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2 Re: Wind Erosion
February 26, 2009, 03:47:09 pm
I'd go with the Bridestone...

Gets pretty windy up there too (at least on the few occasions I've visited) and they did choose to stick a windfarm just down the road.

EDIT : Thinking about it though I think the base of the Bridestone is unstable due to freeze/thaw cycle though, it was certainly seeping/damp when I shot those pictures.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: Wind Erosion
February 26, 2009, 04:11:36 pm
Aren't all the gritstones sedimentary, not aeolian? Or can they be both? I thought you only got shapes like that in arid regions where dry sand carried by the wind actually does the eroding, I don't think it's the actual moving air that does it.

(i know dangerously little about geology though - last time I studied any was 1986. I'm sure that someone considerably more knowledgeable will now take great pleasure in telling me i am talking bollocks)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: Wind Erosion
February 26, 2009, 04:20:55 pm
Aren't all the gritstones sedimentary, not aeolian? Or can they be both? I thought you only got shapes like that in arid regions where dry sand carried by the wind actually does the eroding, I don't think it's the actual moving air that does it.

(i know dangerously little about geology though - last time I studied any was 1986. I'm sure that someone considerably more knowledgeable will now take great pleasure in telling me i am talking bollocks)

Sounds reasonable to me, but I've never studied Geology.

Where's andi_e when you need him  :shrug:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#5 Re: Wind Erosion
February 26, 2009, 04:38:18 pm
The deposition is sedimentary in a deltaic environment - ie visible cross-bedding is a result of sand-bar deposition not barchan type sand-dunes as are similar sandstones. That was way back in the Carboniferous.

Exposure and erosion into the features we have now happened far more recently. As far as I remember Brimham is thought to have been eroded principally by wind.

Shaping
Most of the rocks owe their bizarre shapes to erosion during and after the Devensian glaciation. For example, Idol Rock was most likely formed just after the last glaciation when the land lacked any plant cover. Here, sand-blasting at ground level wore away the softer layers of the rock producing a tiny plinth with a massive top. Freeze-thaw action on the joints and bedding planes have shaped many of the tors such as the Dancing Bear.

andy_e

• forum hero
#6 Re: Wind Erosion
February 26, 2009, 04:52:17 pm
JB's on the money. As for "palaeowinds" then I would hazard a guess that it's pretty much the same today - i.e prevailing sou'westerlies, palaeolatitude hasn't changed on a timescale relative to erosion and therefore I doubt weather systems would have changed much either.

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 Re: Wind Erosion
February 26, 2009, 05:03:27 pm
JB's on the money. As for "palaeowinds" then I would hazard a guess that it's pretty much the same today - i.e prevailing sou'westerlies, palaeolatitude hasn't changed on a timescale relative to erosion and therefore I doubt weather systems would have changed much either.

Interesting - you've touched on part of the contreversy, whether they were formed by freeze thaw action - or by aeolian abrasion. Wind can erode without sand (dust abrasion) in a surpisingly effective way (esp around the lee of obstacles)... The palaeowind thing is whether or not during the early Holocene/end of last glaciation atmospheric circulation patterns were different (which they may - or may not have been..).
Apparently the harder more westerly grits are largely deltaic, and the more easterly are predominantly dune deposits (e.g. Brimham) but thats what the sedimentologist in the office opposite said anyway! THeres a real dearth of this in the literatrue and many of the forms look distinctly aeoloian... Right, better finish teaching the 1st years....

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#8 Re: Wind Erosion
February 26, 2009, 06:19:24 pm
I think both the Bridestones in West Yorkshire and those in North Yorkshire will fit the bill.  The North Yorkshire ones are less well-known than those above Hebdon Bridge but they have the same top-heavy look:

http://www.climbonline.co.uk/bridestones.htm

AndyR

• forum hero
#9 Re: Wind Erosion
February 26, 2009, 06:36:05 pm

Interesting - you've touched on part of the contreversy, whether they were formed by freeze thaw action - or by aeolian abrasion. Wind can erode without sand (dust abrasion) in a surpisingly effective way (esp around the lee of obstacles)... The palaeowind thing is whether or not during the early Holocene/end of last glaciation atmospheric circulation patterns were different (which they may - or may not have been..).
Apparently the harder more westerly grits are largely deltaic, and the more easterly are predominantly dune deposits (e.g. Brimham) but thats what the sedimentologist in the office opposite said anyway! THeres a real dearth of this in the literatrue and many of the forms look distinctly aeoloian... Right, better finish teaching the 1st years....

Most grits in N yorks look too coarse grained and too poorly sorted to be aeolian - tough to explain those very common clasts of mudstone that weather out of breaks in most of the grits in north yorkshire without a fluvial origin.
re the weathering, my money would be on freeze thaw/spalling of the originally less well cemented beds close to ground surface aided by interaction with more acidic groundwater/surface water , then occasionally exacerbated by wind erosion - just my thoughts though.

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: Wind Erosion
February 26, 2009, 07:09:38 pm
Interesting info gents thanks again - the weathering argument is definately important - gritstone can behave as a kind of pseudokarst - with runnels, potholes as well as fractures that are probably exploited by weathering before and after exposure. My interest was triggered by having had to research (to teach) a chunk of Aeolian Geomorphology, during which I came across loads of features that really reminded me of some places I had climbed. Moose (thanks Moose for the reminder) mentioned the Bridestones in N.Yorks, that I'd been to and forgotten - they really fit the bill.. e.g. compare:

to something like this ventifact..

OK, the rock is different - the location is different which will change the form etc.. but theres a real similarity in the landform., and theres plenty of other examples. Greater erosion around the base due to the higher rates of abrasion in the saltation curtain... sand grains bouncing along the ground (saltating) rarely bounce more than a metre above the ground. I guess its not going to change the world, but its quite interesting to see something from a dry-aeolian envrionment in a present day temperate one. The freeze thaw/weathering theories I suspect are based upon present day climates/environments and weathering rates.. if they were formed by something earlier and have persisted for X thousand years thats interesting in its own right... I'm not suggesting this is a panacea for all Yorkshire Grit outcrop formation - just that in some locations it may have been an important if not a dominant process.
Anyway, thats enough academic waffle from me for now!

chillax

• forum abuser
#11 Re: Wind Erosion
February 26, 2009, 08:07:37 pm

Most grits in N yorks look too coarse grained and too poorly sorted to be aeolian - tough to explain those very common clasts of mudstone that weather out of breaks in most of the grits in north yorkshire without a fluvial origin.
re the weathering, my money would be on freeze thaw/spalling of the originally less well cemented beds close to ground surface aided by interaction with more acidic groundwater/surface water , then occasionally exacerbated by wind erosion - just my thoughts though.

Or God put them all there 9000 years ago...

...I'll get my coat

stom

• addict
    • Some Videos
#12 Re: Wind Erosion
February 26, 2009, 09:40:25 pm
How about the Woolpacks?

tomtom

• forum hero
#13 Re: Wind Erosion
February 26, 2009, 09:46:44 pm
How about the Woolpacks?
Ace, Where are they?

stom

• addict
    • Some Videos
#14 Re: Wind Erosion
February 26, 2009, 10:14:18 pm
up on Kinder Scout above the vale of Edale

Apparently the harder more westerly grits are largely deltaic, and the more easterly are predominantly dune deposits (e.g. Brimham) but thats what the sedimentologist in the office opposite said anyway! THeres a real dearth of this in the literatrue and many of the forms look distinctly aeoloian...

They're pretty far west and made of very soft grit! - dont know if this is of any help to you?

matthew

• menacing presence
#15 Re: Wind Erosion
February 26, 2009, 10:38:24 pm
How about the Woolpacks?
Ace, Where are they?

Dammit, I was going to post that!
Here be the grid reference though SK 090 869 GB Grid

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#16 Re: Wind Erosion
February 27, 2009, 12:56:39 am
How about the Woolpacks?

Gets pretty windy up there at times, good candidates for wind erosion  :shrug:

Anyone inspired to go up there should search the forums here for more info.

(P.S. - See the Wiki for info on how to backlink your flickr pictures ;) )

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#17 Re: Wind Erosion
February 27, 2009, 09:38:46 am

I'd agree with that. Principally chemical spalling and frost action, in places exacerbated by wind. Some of the forms at Brimham look very much to have a strong aeolian component in their erosion, but they aren't forms that are too common on grit generally.

As for the woolpacks I've been up there a few times. The exposed spot and perhaps softer rock has led to them being at a perhaps more advanced state along the classic tor formation progression - isolated blocks, very rounded, . There's very little evidence of increased weatehring near the ground though, in fact I'd say the opposite, so I'd rule out wind having much of a weathering effect here. See:

Interesting about the aeolian deposition theory. I had noticed a few crags in the east of the w. yorks region seemed distinctly different - Hetchell and Spofforth especially. More of a sandstone feel than elsewhere. However Almscliffe seems to have some of these qualities without the softness, so I'd be wary of pumpling for such a radically different origin. Incidentally if there's a candidate for wind erosion location-wise its almscliffe... not much in evidence though, perhaps the undercutting below syrett's? Not convincing though.

etjoset

• addict
  • Twiddle that knob
#18 Re: Wind Erosion
February 27, 2009, 10:10:03 am
Hi All,

Almost all the sedimentary rocks that make up the Millstone Grit successions across the Pennines were deposited by flowing water during the Serpukhovian (part of the Middle Carboniferous ~ 328-318 Ma). For the most part the gritstone that we know and love accumulated in a series of fluvial channels that flowed across a large delta plain whereby rivers drained southwards from the Caledonide Mountains to the margin of an enclosed sea that occupied much of the English Midlands at this time. Thus, these strata are principally fluvio-deltaic in origin. There are one or two exceptions to this, the most notable being Almscliff, which is considered (by some) to represent a submarine slide unit, whereby the leading edge of the delta failed and the entire unit moved down a marine slope.

The differences in texture between, say, the Bridestones and Brimham reflect differences in the type of diagenetic (post-depositional) cement. The principal cement types are siliceous and calcitic, though their degree of development is variable. It is the extent of cement development that dictates how soft the rock is - soft bands erode more readily.

None of the Carboniferous gritstone deposits of the Pennines are aeolian in origin (i.e. these sediments are not the deposits of windblown sand dunes in a desert). However, many outcrops have undergone considerable aeolain abrasion in relatively recent (Pleistocene-Holocene) times. Thus, the various pinnacles illustrated (e.g. the Bridestone) are relatively recent erosional aeolian landforms. The most prominent undercut bases arise where i) a bed of poorly cemented gritstone underlies a bed of better cemented gritstone and b/ where this occurs close to the ground where the effects of aeolian saltation (sand blasting) are most pronounced. Landforms such as the Bridestone and the Turban and Brimham would have likely developed most readily in early postglacial times at the end of the last ice age after the glaciers had retreated but before the sandy substrate had been stabilised by vegetation and peat development. This aeolian erosion is minimal in the current climate because loose sediment capable of aeolian abrasion is not available for transport via the wind.

tomtom

• forum hero
#19 Re: Wind Erosion
February 27, 2009, 10:16:29 am
Yup - one of my concerns was that the undercutting was structural rather than process driven. E.G. at the N.Yorks bridestones, on the crag part (set into hill) theres loads of undercutting to - which would suggest some sort of structural control. The best way to answer this is to log the faces and see if there are any structural differences.
Regarding weathering/frost/spalling action... its interesting... and this would seem logical for the features in your photo of the woolpacks.. but when you have weathering/frost etc.,. the sediment will drop to the floor and should form a pile at the base of the face. Even with weathering the sand grains should persist. To be undercut these grains need to be removed somehow - and I can only really see wind as doing this in many of the areas. Now wind may therefore be a mechanism for sediment removal at the base of a crag - but if its removing - then its probably also abrading to a degree. Quite how much is another question!
Just to re-iterate, I am by no means suggesting that wind erosion is a panacea for all grit outcrop formation - more that in certain areas and locations it may be a major factor and one that never seems to have been looked at with any scientific rigour. We've now managed to pursade/suggest/pressgang a student to do his dissertation on this so, see what happens.. He's a keen climber anyway, so it gives him a good excuse to visit some of these places  :)
But please - more debate and suggestions of locations welcome...
Tom

tomtom

• forum hero
#20 Re: Wind Erosion
February 27, 2009, 10:17:51 am
Hi All,

Almost all the sedimentary rocks that make up the Millstone Grit successions across the Pennines were deposited by flowing water during the Serpukhovian (part of the Middle Carboniferous ~ 328-318 Ma). For the most part the gritstone that we know and love accumulated in a series of fluvial channels that flowed across a large delta plain whereby rivers drained southwards from the Caledonide Mountains to the margin of an enclosed sea that occupied much of the English Midlands at this time. Thus, these strata are principally fluvio-deltaic in origin. There are one or two exceptions to this, the most notable being Almscliff, which is considered (by some) to represent a submarine slide unit, whereby the leading edge of the delta failed and the entire unit moved down a marine slope.

The differences in texture between, say, the Bridestones and Brimham reflect differences in the type of diagenetic (post-depositional) cement. The principal cement types are siliceous and calcitic, though their degree of development is variable. It is the extent of cement development that dictates how soft the rock is - soft bands erode more readily.

None of the Carboniferous gritstone deposits of the Pennines are aeolian in origin (i.e. these sediments are not the deposits of windblown sand dunes in a desert). However, many outcrops have undergone considerable aeolain abrasion in relatively recent (Pleistocene-Holocene) times. Thus, the various pinnacles illustrated (e.g. the Bridestone) are relatively recent erosional aeolian landforms. The most prominent undercut bases arise where i) a bed of poorly cemented gritstone underlies a bed of better cemented gritstone and b/ where this occurs close to the ground where the effects of aeolian saltation (sand blasting) are most pronounced. Landforms such as the Bridestone and the Turban and Brimham would have likely developed most readily in early postglacial times at the end of the last ice age after the glaciers had retreated but before the sandy substrate had been stabilised by vegetation and peat development. This aeolian erosion is minimal in the current climate because loose sediment capable of aeolian abrasion is not available for transport via the wind.

Thanks - thats great.. know of any references specifically for the aeolian erosion around these areas (bridestone/brimham)?
Tom

jern

• menacing presence
#21 Re: Wind Erosion
February 27, 2009, 10:21:40 am
 :agree:

I do, though, remember reading in the On The Edge 'Gritstone edition' (circa 1893) that the pinnacles at Brimham had been formed (ie eroded) during exposure on Permo-Triassic, when Britain was a essentially desert environment.

I was never too sure about how true this was but never got round to couldn't be arsed to check - looks like you did. Nice work.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#22 Re: Wind Erosion
February 27, 2009, 10:38:28 am
I can't imagine how such small erosional landforms from the triassic would have survived 200+ million years, let alone the quaternary glaciations. Sounds like confusion with the deposition.

jern

• menacing presence
#23 Re: Wind Erosion
February 27, 2009, 10:41:23 am
Yes that was one of my reservations. I think the article implied they had been re-buried and subsequently exhumed.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#24 Re: Wind Erosion
February 27, 2009, 10:46:34 am
Mmmm, Chinny reck-on.  :-\

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal