UKBouldering.com

Si O'Bollox reminiscence thread... (Read 16830 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Si O'Bollox reminiscence thread...
October 20, 2008, 03:43:34 pm
Occasionally one's mind wanders off ethics, grades, and trad-on-sighting angst and onto curious and ridiculous events in the climbing world. Some of the recent brouhaha about The Ace has re-ignited some (fond?) memories of Hebridean V15-climbing legend Si O'Bollox.

This is what I seem to recall...

- He was actually called Simon Connor, all subsequent names were complete nonsense.

- He did some climbing in The Lakes but was not really accepted as part of the Lakes scene (and left for that reason). Ergo I assume the Scottish persona was complete nonsense.

- Some of his claimed Scottish problems had been unable to be found at all by other climbers.

- Some of his claimed Scottish problems were repeated by climbers e.g. Dave Mac, and found to be many grades easier than what they were given.

- Dave Mac and Cubby? met up with Si O'Bollox but I can't remember them giving a verdict on him.

- Most if not all of his photos were photo-shopped - either to obscure the true nature of the problems or to completely fabricate them (e.g. photos that showed completely different rock scales).

- John Watson of Stone Country met up with Si and repeated one of his fabricated V14-ishs at a true grade of V4 - there's that video showing this and showing Si spotting. I can't remember John giving any verdict on this encounter but Si's problems had featured in Stone Country.

So.... The guy's almost certainly a complete liar, right?? Full of false claims and bullshit about grades. But a couple of things I don't get:

1. What was the point?? Was it supposed to be a big funny wind-up?? If so, why all the lurid ranting on his blog about internet sniping?? Did he really think that people would look back and think "ho ho chortle, wasn't Si a great guy, what a funny wind-up, how clever!"?? Or is he actually completely deranged??

2. What was John Watson's involvement?? Was he in on this "hilarious" prank?? And thus the problems in Stone Country and then the silly video segment without any highlighting Si's bollox?? Was he temporarily duped or was he part of it - seems at odds with a serious bouldering publication??

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#1 Re: Si O'Bollox reminiscence thread...
October 20, 2008, 03:53:43 pm
I quite liked some of his pictures, from a purely aesthetic point of view.  And didn't he have a cute dog?  That always wins points.

I might seek him out and see if he'll take me climbing, quite fancy cranking hard on some of his V8/V9 problems, it'll be more rewarding than falling off V3 for sure.  8)

I thought that he was outed as some kind of uber troll, that he did it all as a joke of sorts?  One of the great fiction suits of the interweb.  :shrug:

PS.  och aye  :whistle:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 04:26:02 pm by magpie »

dave

#2 Re: Si O'Bollox reminiscence thread...
October 20, 2008, 04:11:26 pm
Didn't Dave mac find one of his alleged things and most of the holds fell off, implying they'd never been pulled on?

I'd heard that he also wasn't even scottish, which seems to tie in with all his postings in the "och aye" style of someone overtly trying to sound scottish, a bit like how scots are protayed in childrens cartoons of the 1980s ala Family Ness. As far as I know real scots don't say "och aye" all the time in the internet.

I seem to remember him on here threatening to violently soddomise people who questioned his stuff. Greg, did he even make good on that threat?

He also tended to post on here (and apparently other forums) under his own name and then immediatley after under the name of a supposed aquintance who would back him up, albeit with exactly the same writing, phrasing and posting style, from the same IP address.

lets not also forget that didn't he write the OTE scottish area reports at one time? thats a depressing thought, especially for those who have to write the history section for scottish guides (the books, not the young girls organisation).

Unsubstantiated rumours dave heard:

- that he was actually mentally sub-par, and just after the height of some of his net-lunacy had checked himself into a psychiatric clinic for treatment. if he was genuinely troubled in that department then the whole thing is a bit of a sad tale, I hope he got the help he clearly needed and came through it all.

- also heard somewhere that he was once rescued off soloing a F5+ in some limestone quarry by gaskins and nadim siddiqui. question?

andy_e

• forum hero
#3 Re: Si O'Bollox reminiscence thread...
October 20, 2008, 04:15:45 pm
He did it all for free shoes...

More rumours (possibly true)
He lives on a council estate in Portree (pretty nice as council estates go actually, surely up there as one of the nicest council estates in Britain, I had a look around whilst bored in Portree one day)

Oli

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: Si O'Bollox reminiscence thread...
October 20, 2008, 04:20:25 pm
I'd heard from andi_e that he was mates with Si O'...  :whistle:

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#5 Re: Si O'Bollox reminiscence thread...
October 20, 2008, 04:32:22 pm
I don't think it was a prank. I think John gave Si every chance and was ultimately let down. Si at one stage claimed to be Irish. I believe Si back was 'out' when DaveMc and Cubby visited. I had many long and intense emails discussions with him which ultimately ended in him blocking my email address, I talked on the phone with him also. I talked to a good few people who knew Si as I wanted to write an article about him but felt it wasn't approriate to publish in the end unfortunantly

220bpm

• player
  • In my lungs, and sometimes up my nose...
    • My pictures
#6 Re: Si O'Bollox reminiscence thread...
October 20, 2008, 05:15:20 pm
If I may take the honour of re-posting this classic from Scottish Climbs  :lol:

You bump into Malcolm Smith and Andy Earl at the Ibrox wall. Andy tells you that Malc has finally sent the project they have both been working on. Malc gives you a comprehensive description of the moves, saying it was a bit tricky, and calls Andy 'a weak Geordie git'.

You are messing about on the Dumby boulders, and Dave MacLeod asks if you would mind spotting him for five minutes. After he sends the prob, a sweet 7c+, you ask what he's been up to, and he tells you about an XI, 11 route he has just done in the Northern Corries.

You read a post by Si O'Conor on a web forum. He reports that he has just done Britain's first E17 on a previously unknown crag on the Isle of Skye. The route is 110 metres long with multiple V13 cruxes, and a V16 crux right at the top. Si hadn't planned to solo onsight the first ascent of this new route, but was forced to, as he was being pursued by an elite squad from the Special Boat Service.

The SBS were pursuing him because Si had just been involved in a violent fight with a group of hill shepherds and tractor men in the Isles Bar. Unknown to Si, the shepherds and tractor drivers were actually undercover special services agents. Despite their extensive combat training, and martial arts skills, they were no match for Si who had put them all on the waiting list at the Portree Cottage Hospital A + E department.

The avenging SBS squad pursued Si out of Portree, heading northwards along the A855. He tried to confuse his pursuers by talking very loudly to himself in Swedish, and generally pretending to be from Sweden. Unfortunately this gambit only enraged his pursuers further, and they were gaining on him at every step.

Fortunately for Si, Scott Muir was driving past in his pretendy 4x4 and offered Si a potentially life saving lift. Unluckily for Si, and luckily for Scott, Si refused the lift in a fit of pique and went bounding off across the Bealach Mor. The SBS, sensing their quarry was proving too fast and furious for them, called in air support in the form of a Royal Marines Sea King, a pair of Sea Harriers and a passing Nimrod.

Si knew the odds of him escaping were lengthening now, and had the genius idea of putting his beloved 5.10 Moccasyms on to the back paws of his equally beloved collie, and commanding it to head off across the moor, walking on its hind legs. The SBS pursuit squad followed what they thought were Si’s footprints, and were surprised and dismayed to apprehend a collie wearing rock slippers, a flat cap and smoking a roll up.

Opportunely for the SBS, one of the Sea Harriers, using its experimental infra red target acquisition pod had managed to acquire the fleeing and now barefooted Si. The Nimrod swooped low across the moor, and air dropped a selection of SAS specification trials bikes to his pursuers. The squad tore the parachutes from the motorbikes as they landed, and roared off after Si. The chase was on again!

Uncharacteristically, Si began to panic, as he realised that his only escape route was looming malevolently in front of him. It was a massive black cliff, incredibly overhanging, and unusually for a sizeable rock formation, it had no holds whatsoever.

Although the light was fading now, Si vaguely remembered the cliff, having ridden by it once on the pillion of Birkett's Africa Twin. Sadly, he had been temporarily blinded back then by the light reflecting off Gaskins head as he cycled past on a Raleigh Chopper, and so had no clear recollection of the crag topography.

Any ascent would have to be a first sight onsight solo. Just his style. The approaching cacophony of screaming two stroke engines and intermittent small arms fire brought his attention back into the present. There was nothing else for it; he would have to scale the cliff. He would have to do it barefoot though, having given his Moccasyms to his dog.

He would have to do it drunk as well, because he had consumed the entire case of Talisker that he had won in the air guitar competition that evening in the bar. That was why the fight had broken out with the bogus agricultural workers in the first place, when one of the fake tractor drivers had suggested that Angus Young looked stupid in a primary school uniform.

It got even nastier when an incognito Marine declared Brian Johnson was way better than Bon Scott. Si had stretched a few necks in the bar tonight. He craned his neck upwards and surveyed his route to freedom. It was a real death or glory job this one. It was going to be even harder than the sit down start to Ama Dablam that he had done last week.

He pulled himself, footless, on to the first matchstick slopers, and floated up the positive sharp crimps on a soaring arete. He then took a jolly out left across the main wall steeply to a course of gnarly slopers. Then a bit of balance ballet up the left arete to a mantel. He was getting into his rhythm now, using poor low holds on to an undercut and using dynamics to get onto the poor edges left, and then the large gripless sloping ledge into the centre of the face.

He used every dynamic trick he knew, dancing across tiny undercut slopers, deftly dodging the laser guided bombs from the Sea Harriers and the arcing tracers from the Sea King door gunner. He flashed across a line of toe smears and a small rail of two finger undercuts leading to a scalloped hold and made a huge lunge, locking off this to make a leap for some tiny quartz thimble pockets.

Pausing briefly to rescue a small girl wrapped in a duvet, he used a hard dyno to get into the rail of high undercut edges and set out along these to make an extremely hard drop down move catching the fingertip sidepulls and toe smears simultaneously to trend rightward along these where the holds ran out.

He spanned the void and gained the high shallow mono finger pockets at full stretch then followed the awesome desperate seam right to razor finishing pockets on the areted corner. As he leapt triumphantly on to the top of the cliff, the full moon slid out from behind a bank of cloud and illuminated the route of his unbelievable ascent.

The Sea King swooped towards his lofty perch, and Si, alert as ever, even after twelve bottles of Talisker, leapt cat-like into a convenient crevice. However, as he looked out from his lair, he could see that the door gunner had swapped his belt fed machine gun for a megaphone.

Si heard the words echo out across the coire 'We don't know who you are, but your incredible climbing skills have amazed us all. Sir, on the rock we salute you!' Si looked down into the coire. The SBS squad were saluting and cheering, and as he looked back up at the helicopter hovering in front of him, the Sea Harriers victory rolled around it, the pilots faces beaming with admiration. Even the Nimrod did a fly past, with everyone waving from the windows. At least it looked like they were waving.

Si felt a sudden twinge of disappointment. None of his regular documentary team had seen his greatest climb ever. His usual entourage of itinerant trawlermen, decorated war veterans, and bewildered girlfriends who routinely photographed and videoed his every move on the rock hadn't captured his most amazing ascent for posterity.

Aha! Si had a sudden thought. He shouted to the crewman in the Sea King doorway. 'Did you get any pictures?' The crewman replied through the megaphone. 'We recorded the entire episode in the utmost detail in both ultra high definition still and video photography across the electromagnetic spectrum from infra red to ultraviolet. We will of course archive all this material, but I'm afraid no member of the public will ever be allowed access to it. Official secrets, sir, I'm sure you'll understand. As far as we are concerned now, amazing though your climb was, officially it never happened.'

The Sea King wheeled away into the Hebridean night, the downwash from its rotor blades beating against the impossible steepness of the cliff. Si couldn't believe it. No one would believe him. It was beyond belief. Maybe he could knock something up in Photoshop.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#7 Re: Si O'Bollox reminiscence thread...
October 20, 2008, 05:22:31 pm
Who wrote that?  :lol:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#8 Re: Si O'Bollox reminiscence thread...
October 20, 2008, 08:05:15 pm
It is genius, especially since most of the actual climbing descriptions are taken verbatim from Si's route/problem descriptions...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#9 Re: Si O'Bollox reminiscence thread...
October 20, 2008, 08:15:32 pm
Who wrote that?  :lol:

It is genius, especially since most of the actual climbing descriptions are taken verbatim from Si's route/problem descriptions...

I was going to say Si himself :lol:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#10 Re: Si O'Bollox reminiscence thread...
October 20, 2008, 08:39:21 pm
I don't think it was a prank. I think John gave Si every chance and was ultimately let down. Si at one stage claimed to be Irish. I believe Si back was 'out' when DaveMc and Cubby visited. I had many long and intense emails discussions with him which ultimately ended in him blocking my email address, I talked on the phone with him also. I talked to a good few people who knew Si as I wanted to write an article about him but felt it wasn't approriate to publish in the end unfortunantly

Interesting. In that video clip (searchable on here), they're having a right jolly jaunt together. Is that post "let down" and rather than dissing Si, John's just given up and had a laugh with the nonense of it all??

Long and intense email discussions. Obviously the tasteful option would be to post them all, but I am suspecting that they would be typical Si O'Prose that is of no use to man nor beast.

P.S. Maggie, yes he had a cool-looking dog and that photo of the "intense ethical discussion" was a work of genius if nothing else was.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#11 Re: Si O'Bollox reminiscence thread...
October 20, 2008, 09:57:29 pm

I'd heard that he also wasn't even scottish, which seems to tie in with all his postings in the "och aye" style of someone overtly trying to sound scottish, a bit like how scots are protayed in childrens cartoons of the 1980s ala Family Ness. As far as I know real scots don't say "och aye" all the time in the internet.

On saturday I actually heard someone say "och aye" for the first time since moving up here over 4 years ago. It wa' an auld mannie wi' his dugs.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#12 Re: Si O'Bollox reminiscence thread...
October 20, 2008, 10:13:02 pm

On saturday I actually heard someone say "och aye" for the first time since moving up here over 4 years ago. It wa' an auld mannie wi' his dugs.

So people with dogs do use it - this Si bloke had a dog, therefore he might really be scottish. LOGICish

dave

#13 Re: Si O'Bollox reminiscence thread...
October 20, 2008, 10:21:56 pm
maybe this clip goes some way towards explaining si's "unique" take on life:

mark s

• junky
#14 Re: Si O'Bollox reminiscence thread...
October 21, 2008, 10:58:19 am
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: nice one

BD

• player
#15 Re: Si O'Bollox reminiscence thread...
October 21, 2008, 12:25:29 pm
if you analyse everything, the solution to all of this is simple. This Si is just another name for...

CHUCK NORRIS!!!
http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/

St Hubbins

• stalker
  • Where the magic happens...
#16 Re: Si O'Bollox reminiscence thread...
October 22, 2008, 05:33:03 pm

.........Cleaning his hands after beating Chuck Norris's Ass

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#18 Re: Si O'Bollox reminiscence thread...
October 23, 2008, 12:34:19 pm
The hallowed ticklists....

:bow: I'm impressed, you managed to find something you were actually looking for on 8a.nu  :P

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#19 Re: Si O'Bollox reminiscence thread...
October 23, 2008, 12:54:29 pm
The hallowed ticklists....
And a couple of classic descriptions there...

Quote from: a pathological liar
Hades By Twilight E7,7a [f8a+] 
Exposed & frightening. Climb the superbly thin edges up the areted wall then powerfuly onto the steepness above with a demon 2nd crux. There is no gear in the line whatsoever -maybe a dubious rp in the top-, adding to the exposure. A fall from any part of the line would most likely result in a severe bounce off the talussed ledge below into a full on screamer down the entire N.Western coire.f8a+ & top end E7.

and

Quote from: a delusional crackpot
Iniquity crux - Sron na Ciche - Cuillin mountains 

On the crux of Iniquity -v15- . This line climbs the original -ss- of  It's Over {v14} centre of photo then crosses low through the desperate void {v14} pictured into Paper Tiger {v13} foreground & up this to finish. It would be a v16 candidate abroad. I had originally planned to traverse the whole face from L-R but after 3 years of trying I have admitted defeat...for now. This problem & other hard Coire lines will feature in a dvd/film being compiled by John 'Stone Country' Watson about Scottish bouldering - due out in Autumn 2006. A work in progress with plenty of contributors & the best venues covered. You see, we have world class boulders in Scotland - you just have to walk a bit further to find them.

I think I'd vote for "completely demented".

Greg C - any comments??

webbo

• forum hero
#20 Re: Si O'Bollox reminiscence thread...
October 23, 2008, 01:59:29 pm
didn't he try and send viruses to folk who doubted him.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#21 Re: Si O'Bollox reminiscence thread...
October 23, 2008, 02:28:53 pm
Up that way they're more likely to put a hex on you.

webbo

• forum hero
#22 Re: Si O'Bollox reminiscence thread...
October 23, 2008, 02:52:52 pm
i think also he may have threatened to give greg c another arsehole on one occasion.wasn't blondie/fingers he who no longer graces us with his presence on here totally infactuated with to the extent he was going on a mission to meet him.he was going to get a lift from big edna? who turned out to be si's female persona.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#23 Re: Si O'Bollox reminiscence thread...
October 23, 2008, 02:56:14 pm
Genius.

andy_e

• forum hero
#24 Re: Si O'Bollox reminiscence thread...
October 23, 2008, 04:55:48 pm
All of his lines at Ghrunnda/Coire Lagan looked fucking hard but entirely possible.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal