UKBouldering.com

heedphones (Read 14369 times)

Munkii

• stalker
heedphones
October 12, 2008, 05:46:51 pm
i'm do long routes at the bouldering wall atm and music they play is truely awfull as the radio i knackered. i would really like to listen to my own music while training but my current headphones fall out of my ears when i climb.

so i was wondering if you knew of/own any earphones that you would reccomend that stay in your ears and are fairly durable, cheap etc.?

i'm not bothered about the sound quality being superb(but it has to be decent) if its a cheap pair, but if i'm going to be splashing out a fair bit of cash then i want the sound quality to be good.

thanks

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Re: heedphones
October 12, 2008, 06:27:59 pm

Shure isolating earphones sound excellent and you can wedge them pretty firmly in your luggers, and being isolating they have the advantage of cutting out external noise. Unfortunately they're not cheap.

The sports earphones from Sennheiser look like they would be a winner - they lock into your ears and are sweat proof. The MX 70's are designed for joggers and are only £17.

Munkii

• stalker
#2 Re: headphones
October 12, 2008, 06:51:39 pm
ok thanks.

Jovial Geordie

#3 Re: heedphones
October 12, 2008, 07:45:09 pm
I use the Sennheiser PMX 70 and the sound quality is reasonable for the price,and can recommend them. They also stand up well to my extremely acidic ear sweat.

Munkii

• stalker
#4 Re: heedphones
October 12, 2008, 07:56:31 pm
the pmx 70 look like they will definitley stay on my head. bonus

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Re: heedphones
October 12, 2008, 08:16:18 pm
The earbud style ones should stay on too so don't write them off....read the blurb on the Sennheiser site...

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#6 Re: heedphones
October 12, 2008, 08:55:06 pm
I've been wearing AKG 26's for the last year and highly recommend them as good value noise-isolating "proper" headphones. 

If, like me, you don't get on with the ear-bud sort these work really well (admittedly Ragnarok probably wouldn't filter through high volume Wu-Tang).  A further recommendation - the noise isolation has resulted in several near-misses with traffic!

A decent source of reviews is this website (the precise link is for the latest incarnation of my AKG 26s):

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-application/our-10-best-headphones/akg-k-414-p.php

Munkii

• stalker
#7 Re: heedphones
October 13, 2008, 07:41:38 am
arent the akg 26's a bit haevy and clumsy for climbing in?

The earbud style ones should stay on too so don't write them off....read the blurb on the Sennheiser site...

i have read the description, but my current haedephones are a similair style and are supposed to stay in my ears but constantly fall out when climbing. i think it's coz i've got ikkle ears :(.

what about the type of headphones that clip onto yoor ears?
such as these http://www.haggul.com/ProdImage/142%5C1770320.jpg or these http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/images/products/prod_100731.jpg
has anyone had any experince with those?

andy popp

• forum hero
#8 Re: heedphones
October 13, 2008, 08:29:55 am
I like the idea of some 'phones that will help me to take heed. Will they relay a constant stream of advice and warnings? 'Ohh, watch out there's a tricky bit coming up etc. etc.'

Paul B

• forum hero
#9 Re: heedphones
October 13, 2008, 12:59:49 pm

I can see the attraction if you're sat under the campus board for hours on end or doing something repetitive but for general bouldering isn't this a daft idea? You won't notice that twat who aimlessly wanders underneath you feeling a hold or even more importantly the people shouting beta at you because you're missing out half the problem?
It does seem increasingly common mind you, but then again there was some bloke about a month ago wearing cycling gloves and making sure everyone knew how clever he thought he was because of it, "look, they don't hurt your hands anymore"  :wank:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#10 Re: heedphones
October 13, 2008, 01:29:09 pm
Diet?  No.
Training?  No.
Injuries?  Yes, if you don't stop filling the training forum w/ wank.

Munkii

• stalker
#11 Re: heedphones
October 13, 2008, 05:52:05 pm
Diet?  No.
Training?  Yes
Injuries?  Yes, if you don't stop filling the training forum w/ wank.

Durbs

• forum hero
#12 Re: heedphones
October 21, 2008, 12:46:41 pm
Personally, speaking from zero bouldering-related experience, i'd avoid in-ear headphones, purely in terms of a bad fall onto the side of your head being really painful and potentially damaging.

I was looking for a pair which wouldn't fall off, wouldn't break the bank, sound awesome and wouldn't hurt my ears if twatted - these ones fit the bill really nicely:
http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/icm.nsf/root/500498

But i'd equally be wary of using them at a bouldering wall for safety reasons.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#13 Re: heedphones
October 21, 2008, 12:50:31 pm

i have read the description, but my current haedephones are a similair style and are supposed to stay in my ears but constantly fall out when climbing. i think it's coz i've got ikkle ears :(.

gaffer tape mate ...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#14 Re: heedphones
October 21, 2008, 01:03:05 pm

gaffer tape mate ...

Or the McEnroe option..

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#15 Re: heedphones
October 21, 2008, 01:06:57 pm
The Nesbitt option is cheaper

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#16 Re: heedphones
October 22, 2008, 10:17:43 am
I have a pair of the sony ones with the ear hooks gathering dust (they hurt my delicate oversize lugholes too much). The sound isn't great, but would be willing to give them to a poor youth if they were happy to pay postage. Can't remember the model, but they are the blue ones.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#17 Re: heedphones
October 24, 2008, 08:58:01 am
Today's Guardian has a feature on "six of the best" headphones...thought you might find this useful:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/gallery/2008/oct/23/best-earphones?picture=338921448

Rik

#18 Re: heedphones
October 26, 2008, 08:51:22 am

what about the type of headphones that clip onto yoor ears?
such as these http://www.haggul.com/ProdImage/142%5C1770320.jpg or these http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/images/products/prod_100731.jpg
has anyone had any experince with those?

personally i use philips shs8000/00.  they are not too money busting, very good sound, and i have never had them fall off/out. and they come with 3 different sized ear plugs which might solve you "ickle ear" problem. argos. £20

Munkii

• stalker
#19 Re: heedphones
October 26, 2008, 02:18:54 pm
I have a pair of the sony ones with the ear hooks gathering dust (they hurt my delicate oversize lugholes too much). The sound isn't great, but would be willing to give them to a poor youth if they were happy to pay postage. Can't remember the model, but they are the blue ones.

any piccys?

how much would postage be?

:bounce:

Dolly

• forum hero
#20 Re: heedphones
October 26, 2008, 11:09:00 pm
I ran with the Sennheiser model for the first time this week. They were really very good, didn't move and are very light.
Apart from the green colour I'd say they were pretty much perfect

Paul B

• forum hero
#21 Re: heedphones
October 26, 2008, 11:32:14 pm
beware, mine have fallen apart in under a year.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#22 Re: heedphones
October 27, 2008, 08:43:22 am

any piccys?

or similar

Couple of quid. Don't get too excited yet, will have to find them first.

Munkii

• stalker
#23 Re: heedphones
October 27, 2008, 04:46:47 pm

any piccys?

or similar

Couple of quid. Don't get too excited yet, will have to find them first.

how will i pay you?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#24 Re: heedphones
October 27, 2008, 09:20:45 pm
Blood. and the soul of your firstborn.

Let me find them first.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal