UKBouldering.com

Help! Sheffield restaurant recommendations needed - now please! (Read 203879 times)

dave

Pretty sure I took the Mrs there a couple of years back. Don't remember much detail but it was probably good.

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
Any recommendations to treat my rather picky wife? Preferably veggie friendly..

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
After ending up spending the day in Sheffield yesterday we decided to head to The Forum and (contrary to my last few meals there) it was remarkably sub-par.

Fiona ordered a burger, which arrived and was absolutely bone dry. They must have been cooking the thing for about half an hour.

Guy came over, asked if everything was OK...Fiona told him it wasn't up to scratch / edible and his response was to ummm and errr, and eventually say "I'll let the kitchen know". And scarper. No offer of a replacement, something else, taking it off the bill etc. He never came back.

A different member of staff came over to clear up the plates when I and Una had finished (Fiona's burger still untouched bar one mouthful), and Fiona asked them to confirm they weren't charging us for it. Cue the same guy from before coming over again (I'm assuming he was a supervisor of some sort) and asking "were you not happy with it?". He got Fiona's "teacher look" and a more comprehensive reminder of the previous conversation. He took it off the bill.

Pretty shabby, and a shame as I've had some nice lunches there the last few times I've been.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
So, popping down to Peak with Una Mon/Tues. Was hoping to pick up a pizza from the van at Stanage (we're staying at North Lees) but they don't go there any more.

Any top tips for a decent pizza, preferably Peak side of Sheffield, and open at about 5/6pm ish so we can have an early tea?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
i was pleasantly surprised by papa johns on eccy road

tommytwotone

• forum hero
A callout/delivery to North Lees had crossed my mind!

Google seems to say Proove or Porter Pizza Co. Think the former is edging it in menu alone.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
I like both but think Porter are more interesting toppings. Also it's owned and run by local climbers

tommytwotone

• forum hero
Nice one, pretty much swings it for me, will report back! 

SamT

• forum hero
Another shout for porter pizza. On a more practical note, its much easier to park for PP.. 15 min free parking on sharrow vale road, and if your lucky, bang opposite.  Unlike broomhill which is a ball ache to park for.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

tomtom

• forum hero
We have a 'Prove' just up the road here in Didsbury. It's good - food good - we'll run - good service - baby pram friendly.

remus

• forum hero
Another shout for porter pizza. They do decent gluten free bases which is ace if you're a coeliac.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Proove in Broomhill is a good carbfest.

SamT

• forum hero
sounds like we need a Prove/Porter bake off with Nether Edge Pizza Co judging..

[chant] fight fight fight fight [/chant]
 :boxing:

tomtom

• forum hero
We have a 'Prove' just up the road here in Didsbury. It's good - food good - well run - good service - baby pram friendly.

I was being slightly damning with faint praise. Its good. But I've not had my socks blown off by my pizza experience there.

Quite whether any pizza experience would blow my socks off is another question :)

andy_e

• forum hero
Depends on the amount of chillis they stick on top.

tomtom

• forum hero

andy_e

• forum hero
Scoville/m2 could just reflect a dense application of low-Scoville chillis or a few localised high-Scoville chillis  :P

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Another top notch anniversary meal at Joro last night. 'Only' 10 plates this time which ends up being around 14 once you include starting snacks and two plate 'plates'.  :thumbsup:

Hard to fault, quality wine not silly prices, excellent informative waiting, opportunity to talk/watch the chefs at work. Out of ten for each dish nothing below a 6, most 7-8 and two or three stand out dishes of 9-10, interestingly many of the highlights were vegetarian. If you haven't been book soon, go for the 8 or 10 plate menu (which down south would be 2 or 3 times the price). On the weekend you need to book a while in advance but mid week you may be lucky, there were tables free last night.

They are small plates but after 10+ courses I was about as full as I'd be after a three course 'normal' meal. Don't order three plates and expect to be full (like some numpties on Tripadvisor  :slap:)

SamT

• forum hero

Been wanting to go to Joro for a while now - must get it sorted.

Bit of a shout out for Cafe Ceres Bistro too - went there last night for a low key meal.  2 mains and carafe of wine for £25 on Tues/Weds eve. 

Very nice little Duck a l'orange with scrummy dauphinoise potatoes. My other halfs roast chicken breast was equally as tasty.  Not super posh nosh, but very tasty for a reasonable price in a relaxed venue.

T_B

• forum hero
Shout out for Hungry Buddha traditional Nepalese Thali at Moor Market (lunch served Mon - Sat).

Dev will also do outside catering. Delicious curry/dhal/roti. Really fresh and healthy.

http://hungrybuddha.co.uk/

andy popp

• forum hero
Has anyone eaten at Make No Bones, vegan place on Chesterfield Rd? Thanks.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
Just got in from an 8 plate menu at Joro in Sheffield. Simply fantastic. Every plate was nicely varied from the last and as Obi-wan said, vegetarian dishes as good as the meat ones. Desserts were excellent too, though we opted for the cheese course at the end which was probably too much and only a simple place of brie and sourdough. Wine was excellent and good value, got a glass of fizzy wine for nothing to start too.

All in all I couldn't recommend it highly enough. Service was very good too, not pushy or sniffy, just attentive, helpful and at the right pace of serving dishes. Took two hours to do the 8 plates and starter and never felt like they were coming thick and fast, or long pauses between each. Can't wait to go back again at some point, not too often but certainly will return.

Stabbsy

• junky
Went to Joro last night for my other half's birthday. Probably had fairly high expectations after the reports on here, but it definitely lived up to them. The 8 plate menu was about right for us - almost 3 hours from arriving to paying the bill, so a very relaxed experience (maybe the advantage of a Wednesday night?). Good wine, good service. Just looking for excuses to go back again.

SamT

• forum hero

Off there on Saturday night for my B'day.   :great:

Lad at work had a bit of poor lunch time experience, so good to hear its lived up to others expectations. (Sounds like he's just a bit fussy about his food and didn't like half the dishes, plus he was very hung over from the night before... nob).

AlistairB

• addict
Has anyone eaten at Make No Bones, vegan place on Chesterfield Rd? Thanks.

Sorry for the slow reply, just saw this. We've been a couple of times as we have a few vegan friends, it's very good. Menu tends to be 3 starters, 3 mains and 2 deserts but these are all changed out fairly frequently. Portions are large and as is often the case with vegan food, it's quite carb-heavy so leave plenty of room.

They're very good at vegan versions of non-vegan dishes, I've previously had "fried chicken" made from broccoli and jackfruit and my other half had "fish and chips" which involved battered seaweed-wrapped tofu. They're very creative and the range of flavours they can achieve within the limitations of veganism is very eye-opening for none-vegans like me. I'd certainly recommend it.

For vegan food in Sheff there's also BurgerLolz on Abbeydale Road, they do properly "loaded" vegan burgers and milkshakes, had a couple of good meals with veggie/vegan friends there too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal