UKBouldering.com

Help! Sheffield restaurant recommendations needed - now please! (Read 205393 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Where's good to eat in town and not to noisy on a Saturday night? - meeting some friends st the Station so combining with a visit to the Sheffield Tap

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Sorry Simon not relevant to your post but... Cafe Iberico in Crookes is lovely; great coffee, charcuterie and good simple daytime food

T_B

• forum hero
Where's good to eat in town and not to noisy on a Saturday night? - meeting some friends st the Station so combining with a visit to the Sheffield Tap

Silversmiths?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

Silversmiths?

That was our first thought but apparently it can be quite noisy. Will book there unless anyone suggests an alternative.

psychomansam

• forum hero

Silversmiths?

That was our first thought but apparently it can be quite noisy. Will book there unless anyone suggests an alternative.

Being quiet on a Saturday night while paying center-of-town rents would shut most businesses down.

dave

Went here tonight, evening bistro at spoon cafe in woodseats:

http://www.spoon-cafebistro.co.uk

Relaxed unfussy vibe, very very good food, 3 courses for £20 seems like an absolute bargain. Check it out yeah.

Simon W

• menacing presence
Can second Spoon, not been in the evening but had a few good breakfasts and lunches there. Couple of other newish places in Woodseats serving good food too, both nothing special from outside so easy to miss.

Daily bread deli - opposite big tree pub, just had great tapas lunch here today, stupidly cheap, healthy and tasty! They do a great full english for only £3.75, good quality too.

That place - opposite KFC, best scotch egg I've had, great stuff like brisket burgers and massive salads. Again well cheap.

Both worth a look, getting spoilt for choice in Woodseats, place seriously needs a decent pub!

dave

Got a new favourite Indian in Sheffield - Maveli on Glossop Road

Seriously fucking delicious food, South Indian in style. The first time I've had a fish curry where the fish has been properly (ie. barely) cooked. And a total bargain if you like vegetables (vege mains are around a fiver).

Order some starters and be patient if it's busy, it's totally worth the wait.

http://www.maveli.co.uk/

Update on this - took shortie these last night before a gig. Great food, curry, dosa, the lot. Not an enormous menu, which is a good sign. If you're a veggie it looks pisscheap. And addresses my main criticism of most run-of-the-mill british Indian restaurants in that they generally only have deserts as an afterthought, usually with a crap bought-in menu the same you get in benidorm or mallorca. This place does some proper indian and indian-inspired desserts, like the mango creme brulee etc. Deffo be going again.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Went here tonight, evening bistro at spoon cafe in woodseats:

http://www.spoon-cafebistro.co.uk

Relaxed unfussy vibe, very very good food, 3 courses for £20 seems like an absolute bargain. Check it out yeah.

Cheers for the recommendation, exactly what Dave says. Very enjoyable meal on Sat night, low key but nice place. Friendly chap who was front of house, possibly the owner. Enjoyed all our food and the Malbec was very nice and not bad at £15.

Wood FT

• forum hero
Anyone got the knowledge on where to go for a nice meal around Tideswell, Girlfriend's parents are up and I'm keen to not look daft(er)

Cheers
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 08:47:37 pm by Wood FT »

Sidehaas

• stalker
Bakewell too far? We went for lunch at the Manners pub the other week, food was good and  had an interesting menu, although service was slow.

Probably over budget unless it's a special occasion, but Fischer's in Baslow is great (we went for our anniversary a couple of years ago.)

Nigel

• forum hero
Red Lion?! ABS.

Tideswell chippy is the best chippy in the universe.

dave

The rule is you've got to bag a tick at the Tor to justify the reward of a Tideswell chippy visit. Hence my visits in recent years have been few and far between.

tomtom

• forum hero

Mthats good info....

Wood FT

• forum hero
Red Lion?! ABS.

They went last night on their own with strict instructions on which ale to get.

So... Chippy it is then!

Wood FT

• forum hero
Bakewell too far? We went for lunch at the Manners pub the other week, food was good and  had an interesting menu, although service was slow.

Probably over budget unless it's a special occasion, but Fischer's in Baslow is great (we went for our anniversary a couple of years ago.)

Ta will check them out

T_B

• forum hero
If you can get a table at the Packhorse Inn in Little Longstone, you will not fail to impress the inlaws.

Wood FT

• forum hero
Thanks TB, that looks like the one, I'll try and get a table today

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Oh Lordy lord, where to start. I'm not one to resort to hyperbole but it's going to difficult not to describing last nights meal. Headed to the Milestone for our anniversary dinner where Joro is running a tasting menu on limited nights prior to moving into their permanent home in the soon to be completed Krynkl building a few streets away.
A young team of guys with experience in the Milestone kitchen among others put together 11 courses some of which were among the finest we've ever tasted. I'd banked on them making an effort to build their reputation as a new venture and boy was I right. I won't try and describe every dish but the highlights were the finest vegetarian dish I've ever had including parsnip and truffle, another a taste sensation including duck meat and celeriac and two of the four puddings were truly outstanding including flavours that were familiar but I didn't know I knew! Thats not to say any of the dishes were poor, just not quite as incredible. Only one wasn't quite right according to our tastes, still well cooked just a little tepid with too strong flavours to accompany the fish, but our standards were pretty high by this stage. At £45 a head it worked out less than a fiver a dish which for cooking at this level is incredible. The only minor criticisms would be down to the venue which as it is temporary would be unfair to blame them for. Not sure if there are any tables left during the pop-up, snap one up if you can. Otherwise definitely one to check out when they are in their permanent home.

Tommy

• junky

Tommy

• junky
I'll take that as an "it was freaking good" then :-)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
I'll take that as an "it was freaking good" then :-)
Just referring to my previous (long) post.  ;)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Can we buy this fella a ticket to Sheffield to do a guest review of some local spots?

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Have any of the UKB collective been here: http://www.lokanta.co.uk

Looks decent but never heard much of it...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal