UKBouldering.com

Help! Sheffield restaurant recommendations needed - now please! (Read 204955 times)

Plattsy

• forum hero
 :agree: Been to Arusuvai a few times and it's the best Indian I've tasted for a while.

My only gripe is the chapati's are expensive at £2.50 for two. Which I know is fuck all but still these should be 1/5 of a fuck all each.

Gonna try the other curry houses mentioned in this thread to see how they compare.

deacon

• addict
Was persuaded to try SMOKE, outside the winter gardens and was pleasantly suprised. From the outside it looks pretty trendy and expensive, but once you're in it becomes apparent that it's more of a canteen affair.
We went for a BBQ sharing platter which was ridiculously big.
Whole ham hock
Two posh sausages
Rack of ribs
Chicken thighs
Pulled pork
Chips
Macaroni cheese
Coleslaw.
There where two of us and we managed about half of it.
They have a pretty cool open plan kitchen that the kids really enjoyed watching the cooking.

Regular mains were cheap, with burger and chips for a tenner. They looked good but I didn't try them.
Lightning fast service too (although it was a Sunday afternoon).
Pop was served in jamjars which is just stupid.

All in all a really nice place, with good food at a good price. A rarity in the centre of Sheffield.

Dolly

• forum hero
Went to Arusuvai for a take away on Saturday.
Thought it was poor on a number of fronts.
Too expensive
Portions too small
Too salty
Too bitter
Dishes too samey
Some were definitely tinned

Not going there again

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
On the Indian tip, Maazi in Hathersage has had a 100% track record for me from the slackline-pleasing scientific sample of two visits. Last December we had a great meal there, this December we had a great meal there (no El Mocho this visit though). Tasty, distinctive dishes with succulent meats.

Paul B

• forum hero
All in all a really nice place, with good food at a good price. A rarity in the centre of Sheffield.

But simply don't go when it's busy (chances are if you haven't booked it you couldn't anyway).

Poor service, food suffers, most of the clientele are warming up for a big night out and are thus rowdy, even the drinks suffered. Also, it's still a distant second to Texas BBQ restaurants I've tried (in the USA, but not in Texas).

Paul B

• forum hero
Nat and I ventured down to Craft and Dough last night (this is right near the Fat Cat and is owned by the Milestone/Wig+Pen/Fancie Bakery people), not so much because we wanted to try it, more because we were feeling too lazy to cook.

It's a bit 'hipster' in there with the chipboard skirting boards and general feel but (thankfully) I wasn't served my liquids in a jamjar.

That said, liquids were the biggest issue for me as it took longer to get a drink than to get a pizza. Also, with such good pubs nearby I'm not sure of the pricing at £4.50 for a can of Sierra Nevada Pale (and prices only go upwards from there!).

The pizza was 'OK', it's a bit depressing that various men in vans around France can provide better quality pizza's than restuarants but it seems like that's a fact. The pizzas seem reasonably prices to me at £8.

We'll probably go again (due to location) but if it was (or you are) on the other side of town then simply put, I wouldn't make the journey (or if I did I'd go to the Fat Cat instead)!

Wood FT

• forum hero
Nat and I ventured down to Craft and Dough last night (this is right near the Fat Cat and is owned by the Milestone/Wig+Pen/Fancie Bakery people), not so much because we wanted to try it, more because we were feeling too lazy to cook.

It's a bit 'hipster' in there with the chipboard skirting boards and general feel but (thankfully) I wasn't served my liquids in a jamjar.

That said, liquids were the biggest issue for me as it took longer to get a drink than to get a pizza. Also, with such good pubs nearby I'm not sure of the pricing at £4.50 for a can of Sierra Nevada Pale (and prices only go upwards from there!).

The pizza was 'OK', it's a bit depressing that various men in vans around France can provide better quality pizza's than restuarants but it seems like that's a fact. The pizzas seem reasonably prices to me at £8.

We'll probably go again (due to location) but if it was (or you are) on the other side of town then simply put, I wouldn't make the journey (or if I did I'd go to the Fat Cat instead)!

I had wondered about this place as I thought it was a late opening cafe, think i'll take the pork pie and squirt of mustard at the Fat Cat.

Ta for the review.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Went to the new Gionis italian place on Oakbrook road last week. Nice place, but Pizzas were very average. I'll give them another chance and order a proper meal, otherwise its back to La Terazza.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
On the Indian tip, Maazi in Hathersage has had a 100% track record for me from the slackline-pleasing scientific sample of two visits. Last December we had a great meal there, this December we had a great meal there (no El Mocho this visit though). Tasty, distinctive dishes with succulent meats.
I live a well aimed bhaji throw from Maazi and I've eaten in there at least once a month since it opened and not had a bad meal yet. Can't praise it high enough though the fact that I can throw another bhaji in the opposite direction and hit Sangams leads me to believe that a village of this size can't sustain two curry shops for ever.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
otherwise its back to La Terazza.

not been there for about 10 years

how is it?

T_B

• forum hero

Or the Urban 1/4? Most of my office are going there this p.m. Or are you veggie?

Simon W

• menacing presence
Another new South Indian place in Sheffield, Sai Nivas at the bottom of the moor. Had a good veg thali last week, tasty massive portion and friendly service. Probably had a mention at some point on this thread already but if you're in town and want healthy fast food then Fanoush does great falafel wraps. One in Broomhill, top of moor and London road.

Paul B

• forum hero
Or the Urban 1/4? Most of my office are going there this p.m. Or are you veggie?

This place always looks deserted. No I'm not veggie!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
otherwise its back to La Terazza.

not been there for about 10 years

how is it?

It's my favourite restaurant in sheffield I think. It's not steak pie at the grouse, but it'll do.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
it was my regular before kids (2000 ad)

sounds like it's not changed

thanks

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Anyone checked out the new one at the bottom of Brocco bank yet?

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Had breakfast in Fancie on Ecclesall road on Saturday- what a joke.

Nice enough coffee - in very small cups. £2 for a sausage - each. Won't be getting a second visit from me. Not very fancy either, though staff nice.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
JFC how much for a full fry up £15?

T_B

• forum hero
Went to Smoke for late lunch today as wife's birthday. She was psyched for ribs. Went for the £30 platter as recommended above (shared between us and our small children). Easily enough food (not bothered having an evening meal as still stuffed!) She got a free desert as it was her birthday ('Awesome...something or other ?') which lived up to its name (like a cookie cake, with marshmallow and chocolate sauce!) and kids portion of ice cream was doubled for no extra charge by waiter. I thought it was pretty cool and the missus loved it - recommended if you love your protein and fancy going somewhere a bit different.. good place to take kids in the daytime. 70p an hour parking in the 'charity car park' under the old Grosvenor Hotel.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Anyone checked out the new one at the bottom of Brocco bank yet?

Yes. The Brocco (formerly Peace Guesthouse). Went on Sunday. They've spent a fortune doing the building up and the exterior looks great compared to the dive it was before. Hope it works. Interior is all stylish tasteful muted greys - not my cup of tea. The menu was limited and is more very up market cafe than full blown restaurant with a couple of oddities ie the cheesecake was better described as a chocolate torte. I wasnt drawn to any of the mains so had two starters. We enjoyed what we had and seemed reasonably priced. Good friendly service. Would go again. Nice to combine with a walk around Endcliffe Park.   

psychomansam

• forum hero
Don't know if it's ever been mentioned, so just throwing this out there. The Rude Shipyard. It's the haunt of many a climber, so I expect some of you use it. Does Shauna still have a coach? because if so I'm gonna shop her for the (very good) fry-up I saw her eating.

Anyway, I haunt the place extremely regularly as I go there for work as well as pleasure. Great staff and atmosphere, awesome cake (Try the chocolate guiness). They also do some very tasty, interesting lunches. In a fancier place you'd pay 2-3 times as much for some of the food they serve. I do opine them to be slightly small, but this is fixed with the aforementioned cake.

They're also a (mainly) second-hand bookshop so you can peruse and read while eating if you're alone or bored of your company.

It's up for sale, so hopefully new owners will keep it running the same way.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Went to Little Hanoi on London Road last night.

I'm no connoisseur of Vietnamese cuisine but the food was delicious.

5 people,  £30 p/head including tip and 4 bottles of wine.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
Kashmiri aroma meal last weekend.

Way better than recent experiences. Back up there.

Superb

No negative points at all.

Wood FT

• forum hero
Kashmiri aroma meal last weekend.

Way better than recent experiences. Back up there.

Superb

No negative points at all.

My only gripe is is that they feel a bit hassly when you go up for your 7th plate on a monday night

Wood FT

• forum hero
I'm not sure if it's been covered but the Baji Shop on Chesterfield Road was very nice imo. Small place which does good food in a good atmosphere with pleasant staff. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal