UKBouldering.com

Help! Sheffield restaurant recommendations needed - now please! (Read 205355 times)

underground

• forum hero
Anyone tried Kitos on chesterfield road?
Sounds pretty good
Cheers

Standard byo Italian, more variable than previous owners in terms of quality. Small, good atmos, worth it if u are local, not worth travelling accross the city for IMO
Must have changed since we went JC.
Utter and utter dogshit. Entire place stinks of burning oil from the kitchen, 'waiter' literally doesn't give a fuck, food = dogshit. Admittedly it was nice in the late 90's but now a total shithole. Avoid.

underground

• forum hero
Had lunch at 'Smoke BBQ' this week. Verdict = alright if you want lunch that's cooked. Expensive. Not a place to go for a meal/date (like a warehouse - we sat on a cable drum). Or a pint, unless you're happy at £5 for a bottle of already overpriced Thornbridge. (Not getting into that whole scandal) but even Pespi drinkers beware at £2.50.

Anyway... I had the lunch menu beef brisket sarnie, my colleagues took either 'pulled pork' or beef burgers. Apart from 'ribs' this seemed to be the whole of the menu anyway. Rubbish for a vegetarian.

I enjoyed the food. The chips were of good quality and the meat was very tender. I felt short changed as the brisket is sliced, vs 'pulled' which seemed to mean loads more meat, but no fucker let me try their pork, they liked it (but the men I work with might like anything, I don't trust their views on grub)

If you take the brisket, you don't get ketchup for your chips. You get a very finely shredded red cabbage pickle. It was nice, but I doubt they made it. And they cannot hear you asking for ketchup. And the 'bun' was a brioche one. Which should never appear beyond petit dejeuner or proper breakfast.
The burgers looked ace, btw.

Oh and, in spite of arriving at 1200, with the place being deaders, took ages for the grub to arrive.

Verdict: 6/10 - good food but it shouldn't be hard to do it. In the middle of town though, lots of filthy pigs will eat anything. I've since seen this which makes me question their morals even more: http://smokebbq.co.uk/manvsfood/

tomtom

• forum hero
I'm disappointed by your reviews Underground. There I was opening up UKB for a browse over breakfast and I see a 2am Underground post - on the restaurant reviews thread and I thought bad-a-bing: this has rant written all over it.

But no.. there were hints of a classic rant starting to brew when illuminating the non-pulled brisket - and it backed down from the overpriced drinks tirade potential...

So near and yet so far.

2.5 stars (out of 5).

Wood FT

• forum hero
I'm not Henry the VIII but I left Smoke BBQ hungry, small portions and slimming on the wallet. No thanks.

I don't like the chemical warfare style marketing they use either - pumping out bbq smell into the square outside. Bastards. 

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
Went to the Pasta Bar on Sharrow Vale Road (opposite Two Steps) last night as part of my carb loading festival in advance of a race on Sunday (that and I couldn't be bothered to cook as had been in London all day).

Wasn't overly busy but the service was very good, the garlic bread starter was a decent size and not one out of a freezer either. Decided on the ragu for the main, again, very well cooked, good size portion and pasta cooked properly too. Worked out at just over £20 a head with starter, main and a bottle of house white between two of us, so pretty good value for money too.

Only two small downsides; the wine wasn't properly cold to start with, and there were out of prawns even though they featured heavily on the menu. Other than that, I can't really fault it. Will go again.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk

Went to Kashmiri aroma this evening, the earlier rumours about the food going downhill I'm pleased to say were unfounded. The chicken passanda was excellent

We went last night. It was superb.

Thanks, must have been a bad day

SamT

• forum hero
Went to the Pasta Bar on Sharrow Vale Road (opposite Two Steps) last night as part of my carb loading festival in advance of a race on Sunday (that and I couldn't be bothered to cook as had been in London all day).

Wasn't overly busy but the service was very good, the garlic bread starter was a decent size and not one out of a freezer either. Decided on the ragu for the main, again, very well cooked, good size portion and pasta cooked properly too. Worked out at just over £20 a head with starter, main and a bottle of house white between two of us, so pretty good value for money too.

Only two small downsides; the wine wasn't properly cold to start with, and there were out of prawns even though they featured heavily on the menu. Other than that, I can't really fault it. Will go again.

+1  - very much the same experience - even down to the white wine not being chilled enough (we asked for more ice to put in the bucket).  Enjoyed it though.

tomtom

• forum hero
+1  - very much the same experience - even down to the white wine not being chilled enough (we asked for more ice to put in the bucket).  Enjoyed it though.

RE: White wine & temperature.
I often pop a couple of ice cubes in a glass of white wine... (esp if its just house/bar) though people do sometimes look at me like I'm an alien...
I saw loads of people doing it in SA, but not in many other places I've travelled.. *shrugs*

Wood FT

• forum hero
I often pop a couple of ice cubes in a glass of white wine... (esp if its just house/bar) though people do sometimes look at me like I'm an alien...

:alien: FREAK

tomtom

• forum hero

:alien: FREAK

They may well be doing that for other reasons of course... (multiple causality and all that)

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Went to Otto's with the family last night, as others have said earlier, its brilliant, great food, really friendly and you can BYO for £2 corkage - bargain. The lamb tagine was particularly rated. Tunisian red, if you buy in, is pretty decent, and goes very well with the  often spiced food.

horn

• regular
Got a new favourite Indian in Sheffield - Maveli on Glossop Road

Seriously fucking delicious food, South Indian in style. The first time I've had a fish curry where the fish has been properly (ie. barely) cooked. And a total bargain if you like vegetables (vege mains are around a fiver).

Order some starters and be patient if it's busy, it's totally worth the wait.

http://www.maveli.co.uk/

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
Update in food emporiums in woodseats over  the last few months.

Kashmiri aroma.... Went with Indian work colleagues, we've been before.. Many times. Go go as a goup about 4 times a year. Again too salty, not just me.  We agreed.  It's lost it's place in my heart now.

Swanky Franks, burger restaurant... For what it is it works, I don't go in for these sort of places as a rule. But my family of six love the place, the big burger of the house ( forgot name) is a great big tasty feed. £125 for six, mains, sides and desserts. And 5 peronis.

Shimuls in norton roundabout.. For delivery.. 30 mins. The naga and shobuz masala and madras being personal favs.. I rate the food above KA. Not as clever, but balance of heat, spice and salt is better, I think they have a new chef, they have a new menu.

a dense loner

• forum hero
Agree with swanky franks, good for what it is. The only bugbear I have with the place is the waitress who's really good with kids thinks everyone's a kid and talks very very slowly and deliberately. Think James Pearson but 45 blonde and boobs.

I must like saltier food Jon;) I think KA's on top of it's game at mo.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
Fair play Lee...

Do me a favour and delivery a chicken Naga, chilli naan with okra bhaji and Sag bhaji side dish from the Shimul. I know you won't be disappointed.. But yeah - we all have different tastes and opinions... Hence the strength of the thread.

underground

• forum hero
The only bugbear I have with the place is the waitress who's really good with kids thinks everyone's a kid and talks very very slowly and deliberately. Think James Pearson but 45 blonde and boobs.
And sexier armpits than Cindy Beale! She can talk to me how she likes

a dense loner

• forum hero
My god Jon I can't eat naga's anymore! Will try shimul at some point tho. That said I don't have curries at home, more of a sit down to be waited on treat. Whereas I'll have Chinese takeout but won't go out for chinese. I think I'm fucking weird. I also hope this doesn't make it into the racism thread!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
For a Naga... It's OK ( hot madras) but the other spices make something... Well, sublime.

Takeaways vs. restaurant... I know what you mean... Like... Who goes out for a pizza
 :shrug:

tomtom

• forum hero
I went out for pizza last night... Very nice :) I'm with Dense on the curry restraunt / Chinese take out combo.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
I don't have curries at home, more of a sit down to be waited on treat. Whereas I'll have Chinese takeout but won't go out for chinese.

This makes perfect sense to me.

My biggest bugbear re Swanky Franks is the always-on TV.  Completely lose the kids soon as you walk in.

tomtom

• forum hero
Shirley that's a positive? ;)

Dolly

• forum hero
If we're talking about food in Woodseats then the thread has to include The Viraj IMO
The fish Jalfray is melt in the mouth sizzling spicy heaven.
Quite often get a free drink while you're waiting ton pick up a takeaway as well. 

Dolly

• forum hero
Went to that new takeaway Sultan's a couple of weeks ago. I'd go again but wasnt as good as the Bengal Kitchen used  to be

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
Cheers Dolly. Their new menu got posted through my door this week... Looks well interesting... Will takeaway in the next couple of weeks... Next treat night... I hear you on the fish at viraj. Mrs FD loves her curry fish - and rates it v high.

Woodseats gastro... Who would have thought 10 years ago!!!

:bounce:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Went to Arusuvai on Abbeydale rd on Friday p.m. South Indian restaurant that used to be Dhanistha's. Really impressed with the food, service a bit slow but super friendly. They've got a special fixed menu on next Sunday for Tamil New Year which I suspect will be superb.

I really like this place too. Agreed the service is slow but the food is delicious. It is still the same owners as Dhanistas, they just renamed the place. They did explain why but I can't remember now.

Great food!
We went here on Saturday evening. Completely agree with both of you.

It was really busy and the service wasn't the quickest but the staff were really friendly and helpful and the food was excellent. Dead cheap too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal