UKBouldering.com

Help! Sheffield restaurant recommendations needed - now please! (Read 203897 times)

dave

The other restaurant in the same program continued to struggle because the thick owner wouldn't change his ways.

it always amazes me these people agree to be on that type of programme and then outright refuse to take any of the advice given. Its like those greedy clowns you see on property ladder, they declare they're in it to make some serious fast wedge, they wheel in that big titted bird to give them some sound advice, they alway ignore it any then when they end up making £500 profit for 9 months hardgraft, and that was only cos the market went up, because they ignored every single piece of advice given they say "well we weren't really in it for the money". fucking idiots. you can tell this is my first day back at work can't you.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Did you watch the program?

Er, no, I'm not a UK resident.  Excuse me, just trolling, Ramsay makes my blood boil.  I concede, he knows a lot a about making money and getting the best (and worse) out of people.

But your posts over recent months suggest you have been working here of late so it was possible (albeit unlikely given your opinion) that you might have watched them.

The other restaurant in the same program continued to struggle because the thick owner wouldn't change his ways.

it always amazes me these people agree to be on that type of programme and then outright refuse to take any of the advice given.

I'm not that amazed myself, I'd imagine they believe that there is no such thing as bad publicity and by simply having their place on a show with a celebrity chef they will gain the exposure they need to save their ailing business.  Unfortunately they're often too short-sighted to see past the end of their nose and realise that its they who are the problem.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Did you watch the program? The quality of food rocketed. I think Ramsay is a tool but he knows his business that's for sure.

Yeah the Sheffield owner was completely clueless and was running the restaurant into the ground with a combination of shit food and a totally confused venue. There's only so much that the publicity that the programme affords can do for a place. If they hadn't completely changed according to Ramsey's direction then they would have had a couple of weeks of busy nights and then everyone would have fucked off somewhere else again when they realised it was shit. As has happened at plenty of the other places he's been to.

You're right dave. It's these cunts who wont listen who are the tools. Ramsey can be a wanker but he knows his shit.

The US version of his show is fucking hilarious.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee

You're right dave. It's these cunts who wont listen who are the tools. Ramsey can be a wanker but he knows his shit.

...but it wouldn't be great TV for this great modern age if there wasn't any conflict in it!

Can you imagine if the people involved actually listened to the 'experts'? I'd be a pretty short programme...

OPENING MONTAGE (incl. Gordon stripping off for no apparent reason)

Lots of eye-rolling from La Ramsay about how shit the place is, then cut to:

Gordon: For fuck's sake you useless cunts, you need to simplify you menu / use local produce / get the running of the place organised. Now show me your balls, show me you've got some balls and get hold of your balls and do it...

Restauranteur: Oh, good point Gordon, I'll get right on it.

LE FIN

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

...but it wouldn't be great TV for this great modern age if there wasn't any conflict in it!

Can you imagine if the people involved actually listened to the 'experts'? I'd be a pretty short programme...

Lots of eye-rolling from La Ramsay about how shit the place is, then cut to:

Gordon: For fuck's sake you useless cunts, you need to simplify you menu / use local produce / get the running of the place organised. Now show me your balls, show me you've got some balls and get hold of your balls and do it...

Restauranteur: Oh, good point Gordon, I'll get right on it.

LE FIN

Sounds good to me, then it can all be over in five minutes freeing up air time for something half-decent (a la Red Riding, which I recorded but didn't watch last night) :P

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
There's a reason.  8)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
Jeepers Maggers, make up your mind...

I thought you were into squeezing boho hippy climbing wads, or have you forsaken Sir Chris of Sharma after your recent experiences?

I don't think you'll get far stalking chunky jock chefs who can't keep their shirts on and like talking about other mens' balls a bit too much, though from what I've seen in the red tops... :whistle:

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
It doesn't pay to have a set , that only limits you ;)

But yes, Chris and I are finished, I don't think we can ever go back to how things were.  :'(   :thumbsdown:

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
I went to one of Ramsay's restaruants in London just before Christmas and it really sucked. Terrible service & mediocre food... Judging by the reports in the financial press I'm not the only one to have noticed and maybe Gordon should've been concentrating on keeping his own house in order rather than swanning around on the world on C4/ITV's expense and hectoring other people on their own shortcomings (and knobbing women who he's not married to).  I've no doubt that he knows his onions but I wouldn't be surprised to see bankruptcy and a humiliating 'I overstretched myself' series in the tabloids come this time next year..

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
He may fold some of the restaurants but I can't see him being daft enough to end up bankrupt. Mind you, his father in law is in charge of a lot of his financial empire so you never know................

Paul B

• forum hero
Got taken out by my ladyfriend (:thumbsup:) to Cubana on Trippet Lane over the weekend - very tasty tapas-y stuff, and very agreeable Chilean Cab Sauv that wasn't too expensive as well!

Was very impressed with the service - we rocked up on spec on Saturday night at about half seven, they initially said they hadn't got a table but managed to squeeze us in.

We went to Cubana last night and had totally the opposite experience. Thinking of this post I rang up fairly late on and they said they had a table for 2 at 9.30, which we booked. When we arrived the waitress looked confused and basically suggested that we hadn't booked at all and was fairly rude. We were then herded to the bar before being squeezed on the end of someone elses table. Not really what we had in mind but by then it was late and I was hungry!

The alcohol seemed reasonably priced but each tapas dish was pretty expensive IMO for what you actually got, in fact comparing it to other tapas restaurants I've eaten in the food was definitely poor.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Funnily enough I was at Cubana last Monday (for someone's birthday meal at their Mellow Monday's - quite tolerable live jazz). Not as bad as Paul's experience but not as good as it was in the past - it was pretty good but the tapas was slightly hit and miss e.g. smoked swordfish was amazing, but chorizo was fairly mediocre. The prices do tend to add up for a few dishes...

Wig And Pen is a good alternative for tapas these days...

Paul B

• forum hero
We finished the evening by getting horribly drunk on Cocktails and then heading home, 1st stop our tequila bottle.  :alky:
I didn't make it to the tor this morning...  :thumbsdown:

hairich

• obsessive maniac
just done nats hair.she said you were drunk.

you out tommorrow?

Paul B

• forum hero
Not quite as drunk as a few weekends ago when I acted out the scene from the full monty job center in the middle of thyme cafe (due to the music of course).
I'm hoping so... but the current rain is slightly worrying?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Ms Bubbs has been to Cubana and said the food was terrible.

Plattsy

• forum hero
I'd like to have seen that Paul.  :lol:

Just booked a table at Fischers in Baslow for the gf's 30th. Has anyone been or heard anything about this place?

Looking for a place to have a fantastic meal and so far this is the best place I've come up with.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
Crikey - either I'm Sheffield's worst restaurant critic or we just caught Cubana on a good night, hope it's the latter. Apologies if your choice of venue was based on my post Paul - I'll keep my culinary experiences to myself in the future!

Did anyone else see the review for Moran's in last week's Guardian? They gave it 9/10, and I know they're usually very hard to please. Anyone been?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Went to Moran's (a while ago though) for Ms Bubbs' birthday - it was excellent.

Just booked a table at Fischers in Baslow for the gf's 30th. Has anyone been or heard anything about this place?
I've been a couple of times, though not very recently.

Food is fantastic but I found the atmosphere very stuffy. Very formal, almost a bit uncomfortable - everyone was speaking in whispers. Service was also a bit overbearing - I like to be able to pour my own wine, not have it stored at the side of the room and then have a waiter hover over you constantly to watch for when you need a refill.

Found the Old Vicarage similar - beautiful food but stuffy atmosphere.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 04:18:54 pm by Bubba »

Paul B

• forum hero
Apologies if your choice of venue was based on my post Paul - I'll keep my culinary experiences to myself in the future!

it was but I wouldn't worry about it, as you pointed out they DID have a table available at late notice!

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
RE Moran's

Service was also a bit overbearing - I like to be able to pour my own wine, not have it stored at the side of the room and then have a waiter hover over you constantly to watch for when you need a refill.

Aw man, what if you had a crusty bogey you wanted to shift?  Could you clap your hands and have Maitre D' send over gloved servant to pick it for you?

tommytwotone

• forum hero
Apologies if your choice of venue was based on my post Paul - I'll keep my culinary experiences to myself in the future!

it was but I wouldn't worry about it, as you pointed out they DID have a table available at late notice!

Sorry man - we may well have got lucky.

Based on this situation, I would advise that you avoid Silversmith's for dinner - whatever you do don't go there for a celebratory meal, make sure you don't have their cocktails and whatever you do you should steer well clear of the very reasonably priced Rioja on their wine list...

;)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Aw man, what if you had a crusty bogey you wanted to shift? 
There's no way you'd get into Fischers with a crusy bogey ;)

I had that Rioja too TTT :)

Plattsy

• forum hero
I've been a couple of times, though not very recently.

Food is fantastic but I found the atmosphere very stuffy. Very formal, almost a bit uncomfortable - everyone was speaking in whispers. Service was also a bit overbearing - I like to be able to pour my own wine, not have it stored at the side of the room and then have a waiter hover over you constantly to watch for when you need a refill.

Found the Old Vicarage similar - beautiful food but stuffy atmosphere.

Thanks Bubba. I suppose posh nosh places may suffer from the above issues of atmosphere/service. Looked at the Old Vicarage on t'web and it looked really old fashioned (not in a good way) in comparison to Fischers.

I'll report back.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal