UKBouldering.com

Help! Sheffield restaurant recommendations needed - now please! (Read 204954 times)

Gritlad

• obsessive maniac
  • I'm not actually much of a lad.
Anyone tried Kitos on chesterfield road?
Sounds pretty good
Cheers

monkey boy

• forum hero
I went to Urban Choola and thought it was absolutely awful! Sorry Dave.

Unless we had completely different stuff you a got lucky? Or were drunk ;-)

I have been a few times and had different stuff each time, all were really good. Everyone I know who has been has really rated it too. Having said that I just saw Kashmir Aroma is your favourite curry place so not sure how much I trust your judgement ;)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
Anyone tried Kitos on chesterfield road?
Sounds pretty good
Cheers

Standard byo Italian, more variable than previous owners in terms of quality. Small, good atmos, worth it if u are local, not worth travelling accross the city for IMO

a dense loner

• forum hero
Clean living and the power of prayer Tommy  ;)
Unfortunately I won't be able to visit for at least a month, let's hope it's sorted for then ;D

Tommy

• junky
I went to Urban Choola and thought it was absolutely awful! Sorry Dave.

Unless we had completely different stuff you a got lucky? Or were drunk ;-)

I have been a few times and had different stuff each time, all were really good. Everyone I know who has been has really rated it too. Having said that I just saw Kashmir Aroma is your favourite curry place so not sure how much I trust your judgement ;)

You should probably never trust my judgement knowing my taste in climbing!

Dense, did you say power of prayer? This could be a new business model in line with Weight Watchers. I think you'd have to call it the "Weighting for God".

SamT

• forum hero

Very underwhelming meal in Nonna's last week.  Utterly over priced and all a bit pretentious.  Went a long time ago, and thought the same but Mrs T booked it as I couldn't get a table at our other option.

My crab/chilli risotto pretty bland barring the presence of sliced raw chilli that destroyed any hint of flavour that may have been hidden away.  Mrs T was not exceptionally impressed with her pasta dish either. 

We didn't fall for the old 'your tables not ready yet, do you want to wait by the bar next door and drink some incredibly overpriced lager' like last time (I recall it was £5 a pint and that was about a decade ago).

It'll definitely be more than a decade this time before I forget and book a table there again.

Humbug.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Nonna's has always had this rep which is why I've never been.

T_B

• forum hero
Went to Arusuvai on Abbeydale rd on Friday p.m. South Indian restaurant that used to be Dhanistha's. Really impressed with the food, service a bit slow but super friendly. They've got a special fixed menu on next Sunday for Tamil New Year which I suspect will be superb.

monkey boy

• forum hero
Went to Arusuvai on Abbeydale rd on Friday p.m. South Indian restaurant that used to be Dhanistha's. Really impressed with the food, service a bit slow but super friendly. They've got a special fixed menu on next Sunday for Tamil New Year which I suspect will be superb.

I really like this place too. Agreed the service is slow but the food is delicious. It is still the same owners as Dhanistas, they just renamed the place. They did explain why but I can't remember now.

Great food!

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
It is still the same owners as Dhanistas, they just renamed the place. They did explain why but I can't remember now.
I'm guessing it wasn't because it was easier to pronounce!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
If you're unsure.... where the fuck should I go to eat (not exclusive to Sheffield), from the guy who bought you where the fuck should I go for drinks.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Very good except "Epic" sounds more like a bar full of pastel shirted meatheads in Chapeltown or Grenoside or some other godforsaken backwater than a trendy cafe.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
Very good except "Epic" sounds more like a bar full of pastel shirted meatheads in Chapeltown or Grenoside or some other godforsaken backwater than a trendy cafe.
You might be confusing it with Escape in Chapeltown, which is indeed a bit of a hell hole in very much a godforsaken backwater. Easy mistake to make though.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
That's probably what it reminded me of yes.

a dense loner

• forum hero
Went to Kashmiri aroma this evening, the earlier rumours about the food going downhill I'm pleased to say were unfounded. The chicken passanda was excellent

Tommy

• junky

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
Thank God... not been for a month..sleepless nights will now be over. Cheers Dense.. :dance1:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
We went to Nandos this afternoon because Mrs S had been told by everyone at work how great it was so she wanted try it.

Don't get me wrong, I was expecting Burger King and I wasn't disappointed. Nothing wrong with the food or the service if you're expecting it to be shit (Sharpe Jr managed to fire his corn on the cob onto the floor after a few bites and they brought a new one straight away) but seriously.

I could have got a decent meal in a proper restaurant with proper food for the same money. How these places make money is beyond me. And the retards who my wife works with who recommended it....

Oh yeah, just answered my own question.

Paul B

• forum hero
The in-laws were staying in town last night and thus we ended up out for a meal. Now, having taken them to various places across the city with varying success they always moan about travelling away from where they're staying so this time we let them pick (i.e. essentially gave in) "the nice Italian in the center of town", by name Piccolinos.

Despite the person that greeted us being absolutely drop dead gorgeous, the meal was absolutely terrible. I wasn't expecting big things (having eaten here before) but the pasta was overcooked (to the point of burst ravioli) and they'd failed to drain it at all leading to a nice watery bowl, by far the worst meal I've had in a very long time.

The in-laws had the fish special which actually looked well cooked.

Nat had some kind of sea food medley (always an error when you can't see the sea), and boy was that a mistake. It looked very ropey and poorly (over) cooked but as we weren't paying we didn't like to say anything.

An hour or so later Nats face turned bright red and she developed a rash all over her back. This was followed by being 'quite' ill, being unable to walk across a room, uncontrollable shaking (with some added breathing issues thrown in) and difficulty forming coherent sentences.

I called 111 who promptly dispatched an Ambulance.

She was released around 3AM and we were told that it wasn't an anaphylactic reaction due to the delay (1h30?).

Wood FT

• forum hero
Fuckkk, hope she's recovering okay

tomtom

• forum hero
Piccolino's is a chain iirc. I've eaten in one - it was good once bad another time. :( hope Nats feeling better now.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
The in-laws were staying in town last night and thus we ended up out for a meal. Now, having taken them to various places across the city with varying success they always moan about travelling away from where they're staying so this time we let them pick (i.e. essentially gave in) "the nice Italian in the center of town", by name Piccolinos.

Despite the person that greeted us being absolutely drop dead gorgeous, the meal was absolutely terrible. I wasn't expecting big things (having eaten here before) but the pasta was overcooked (to the point of burst ravioli) and they'd failed to drain it at all leading to a nice watery bowl, by far the worst meal I've had in a very long time.

The in-laws had the fish special which actually looked well cooked.

Nat had some kind of sea food medley (always an error when you can't see the sea), and boy was that a mistake. It looked very ropey and poorly (over) cooked but as we weren't paying we didn't like to say anything.

An hour or so later Nats face turned bright red and she developed a rash all over her back. This was followed by being 'quite' ill, being unable to walk across a room, uncontrollable shaking (with some added breathing issues thrown in) and difficulty forming coherent sentences.

I called 111 who promptly dispatched an Ambulance.

She was released around 3AM and we were told that it wasn't an anaphylactic reaction due to the delay (1h30?).

Google type IV anaphyactiod reaction. Clear as from the above... I'd buy a couple of Epi pens off the net...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Went to Kashmiri aroma this evening, the earlier rumours about the food going downhill I'm pleased to say were unfounded. The chicken passanda was excellent

We went last night. It was superb.

galpinos

• forum hero
Piccolino's is a chain iirc.

Yep, http://www.individualrestaurants.com/piccolino/

Didsbury one is slightly overpriced for what you get but the food has always been good and service/ambience excellent. The food in the Lime Tree is loads better but the staff can be a bit hit and miss.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal