UKBouldering.com

Help! Sheffield restaurant recommendations needed - now please! (Read 204926 times)

Bowie

• addict
city centre locations (all 2 mins from my office so regular haunts):
wig and pen - excellent re-vamp, great menu, good quality and wine list (go for the faggots starter..)
popolos (leopold sq) - good value iti style and great cocktails (the popolos mojito with iti extras is excellent)
platillos - best tapas in sheffield, good atmosphere and wine list and good for unexpected late nights

pasta bar sharrowvale road - always good value and reasonable food/wine

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Went to a new place last night.  Tokyou in Castle Square.  Across the road from TJ Hughes and next door to Help the Aged.

Very impressed, excellent food with a good selection of Malaysian, Vietnamese, Chinese and Thai dishes, the squid starter was perfectly cooked, the portions were large and it was all very reasonably priced (starters £2.50-5.00; Mains £4.80-6.50ish; Tsingtao £1.60 a bottle).  Service was pretty good too.

Get there before the end of September and theres 20% of your meal (including beers if last night was anything to go by).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
How was the Ivory Jasper?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Very good. Really nice place, great staff and lovely food. Not too pricey either, I recommend it 100%.

Cheers slackers!  :thumbsup:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Excellent, glad to hear you enjoyed it.  :)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Got some US relatives over next weekend and have booked the Ivory for Sat night.

On a related note, had noodles from the Vietnamese place on London road this week for the first time in ages, REALLY disappointed. Has it changed hands or something? Different menu and has lost what made it different, now it seems to be standard Chinese take away fare.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Got some US relatives over next weekend and have booked the Ivory for Sat night.

On a related note, had noodles from the Vietnamese place on London road this week for the first time in ages, REALLY disappointed. Has it changed hands or something? Different menu and has lost what made it different, now it seems to be standard Chinese take away fare.

Yes. Go accross the road to Pho, it's much better and the staff are nicer.

Vietnamese Noodle Bar seems to be staffed by chinese people now. The new staff seem a bit uninterested crap now - they don't know the menu very well.
The crispy sea bream with tamarind sauce is actually better than it used to be.
Lagers Jr is a dedicated fan of their Hot And Sour Soup; the new version is not spicy enough in her opinion.
The Crispy Roast Belly Pork is now presented in bigger chunks, but is less tastey and the portion is a bit smaller.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Quick heads up on a decent offer.

Was out last night for a meal at Cafe Guru and was pleasently surprised when the bill came to find out starters and mains were 2 for 1 :thumbsup:.

Offer is running till the end of November on Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays (apparently the Sheffield restaurant isn't doing too well these days and they're trying to get more bums on seats).

Went to a new place last night.  Tokyou in Castle Square.  Across the road from TJ Hughes and next door to Help the Aged.

Very impressed, excellent food with a good selection of Malaysian, Vietnamese, Chinese and Thai dishes, the squid starter was perfectly cooked, the portions were large and it was all very reasonably priced (starters £2.50-5.00; Mains £4.80-6.50ish; Tsingtao £1.60 a bottle).  Service was pretty good too.

Get there before the end of September and theres 20% of your meal (including beers if last night was anything to go by).

Also not sure about the current state of this, but went to Tokyou before going to the OnSight Premier in mid-October and we received the 20% discount then too.  Have been past (or in) recently to see if its still available.

fatkid2000

• junky
Along the same lines - Artisan in Crosspool are doing some offers at the moment (recession meals?) We went a couple of week ago, and if I remember correctly they do a 3 course menu  of the day for about £10 - think you have to be there before 7 pm and its Monday - Thursday. The food was up to their usual standards so I though it was good value. Catch are also doing a deal at the same time for £13/14.

All you have to do then is buy a few drinks.

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
Artisan is really good.

And Milanos are still doing their 2 courses for £15 Tues-Fri. Choice of about 5 starters and 5 mains. Very good value, and operates all evening.

Well worth repeated visits.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
When we went to Loch Fyne for lagers' wedding do I noticed that they're still doing that bargain £11 deal mentioned earlier in the thread. I can recommend the place. It's nice that something that seems to work has finally been done with that building (ex Hanrahan's) and they've done it out very nicely.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
(recession meals?)

Funny you should mention that, but thats basically what our waitress was saying.  They wouldn't normally have done this at Cafe Guru, but people are already eating out less, so some places have started doing offers and they had to tow the line or loose out on business.

fatkid2000

• junky
Went to Milano's lastnight and took advantage of their set menu. £23 for 3 courses - total bill £65 with pre-dinner drinks and wine. The food was their usual high standard and great service. My pasta starter was as good as I had during my recent honeymoon in Naples and Amalfi. The set menu runs Tuesday to Friday & is available all evening.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Maybe not among the highest quality establishments around but some cheap meals can be had using some of these deals...
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/cheap-restaurant-deals

Currently including 2 for 1 at Zizzis, Strada, Pizza Express and La Tasca. All of which do a reasonable feed.

Last week me and a mate had free burgers at Walkabout bar. Bonus!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

After watching an episode of Gordon Ramsay's "Kitchen Nightmares" in which Silversmiths was featured, we went down tonight to try out their Tuesday "Pie Night".

Gorgeous rich but not stodgy venison pie & mash with some mini Yorkshire Puds to start. They do a veggie pie option as well. Well recommended.

Paul B

• forum hero
Ah, we were wondering about that. Thanks for the tip Bubb's!

For Nat's birthday we went to Artisan. TBH given the hype I was a bit disappointed, nice setting, really well presented food but a bit lacking in substance. I'd pick Thyme Cafe every time instead.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Got taken out by my ladyfriend (:thumbsup:) to Cubana on Trippet Lane over the weekend - very tasty tapas-y stuff, and very agreeable Chilean Cab Sauv that wasn't too expensive as well!

Was very impressed with the service - we rocked up on spec on Saturday night at about half seven, they initially said they hadn't got a table but managed to squeeze us in.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Just to add about Pie Night at Silversmiths - book in advance. They are very busy after the Ramsay program and could only squeeze us in after Selina turned on her professional pursuasion tactics.

hairich

• obsessive maniac
the guys who own silversmiths took some of thier pies into the mrs office for all to taste. i tried the venison it was fantastic

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Ramsey saved their ass. They were seriously up bankruptcy creek before he turned up. Must try those pies.......

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Ramsay's a slag of all modern media.  He could turn up w/ TV crew at Shazz's mobile greasyspoon [A14 southbound] and her takings would quadruple w/ no change to either the quality of produce, cleanliness of her squalid caravan (come-trucker knocking shop) or the viciousness of the shit-gurgling gut-aches her double egg and deepfried jumbo sausage baps are known to induce across swathes of the S. East, thanks no doubt to the inability of the UK TV viewing publics' inability to distinguish one dirty cunt from another...

Ramsay!  Pffft.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Did you watch the program? The quality of food rocketed. I think Ramsay is a tool but he knows his business that's for sure.

The other restaurant in the same program continued to struggle because the thick owner wouldn't change his ways.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Did you watch the program?

Er, no, I'm not a UK resident.  Excuse me, just trolling, Ramsay makes my blood boil.  I concede, he knows a lot a about making money and getting the best (and worst) out of people.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 04:00:31 pm by Houdini, Reason: edit spelling »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal