UKBouldering.com

Peak Pubs - booze & grub (Read 77044 times)

fatkid2000

• junky
#25 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 26, 2008, 09:39:12 pm
I've always been disappointed by the Peaks Pubs, either the food is rubbish or the beer or more often than not both. I think the problem is that most of them don't really have to try very hard to get custom due to all the day tripping type visitors, look how busy the Fox House gets. The only place that's any good IMO on a regular basis has been Chequers and they've always been pleasant to me. The other place I've been taken to recently, by the MTB crowd Is 'The Crown' at Totley which does a nice pint & always seems busy on the food front but their pints are quite pricey, although its not really in the Peaks.

dave

#26 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 26, 2008, 09:40:21 pm
One place I must mention is Rowley's at Baslow. Not really a pub now in the classic sense of the word but they do food and have a bar (nice Thorbridge ales). This place is pretty expen$ive but for a special occaision its very very very good food, and the staff are very helpful, and a slick but not poncy modern decor. I highly recommend it for anyone taking their shortie out for a treat. I think they have a cheaper early evening menu too.  Run by the Fischer's peeps so you know its all gravy.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#27 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 26, 2008, 09:49:10 pm
Rowley's head Chef James Grant is a climber. Sound bloke and very passionate about his food. I haven't been since he took over but I'd imagine he'll be doing a good job.

Eddies

• forum hero
#28 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 26, 2008, 10:05:47 pm
Plenty of nice pubs on the west side.

The New Inn in Flash is a great little pub and serves a few great real ales and the tucker is bob-on... proper farmers meals and there as cheap as ewt.
The Travellers Rest in Quarnford also does good home cooked food and serves real ales, and the Quiet Woman (or Fictitious female to the locals) in Earl Sterndale has localy brewed ales, sells goose and duck eggs with shit still on em and the pool table is 40p. Game is still legal tender there and if the hairy folk musicians arent there to entertain then the local banter is just as amusing!

Come on down, but dont stray off the path!!

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#29 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 26, 2008, 10:25:27 pm
If some one else is paying or your expense account is on the healthy side I'd seriously recommend the Peacock in Rowsley (think £100 for lunch foir two with drinks a shade more for supper).

The Sir William is my local and a Hardy & Hansons so on the acceptable end of the plastic pub spectrum, albeit with a nice beer garden.

If you're on High Tor the only decent pub in Matlock Bath is the Temple Hotel, although 'the boat' in Cromford has re-opened after it went bust (and a deepl clean that was requried to say the laest) and is a top boozer and handy(ish) for Black Rocks.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#30 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 27, 2008, 09:17:02 am
I've always been disappointed by the Peaks Pubs, either the food is rubbish or the beer or more often than not both.

Possibly this thread will be useful to you then!!

Although I agree that having good food AND good beer is rarer than it should be.

andy popp

• forum hero
#31 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 27, 2008, 10:20:35 am
The only time I've been to the Quiet Woman in Earl Sterndale (pub sign: decapitated woman - nice!) they very obviously didn't want us in 'their' pub. This was a very long time ago though.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#32 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 27, 2008, 12:20:34 pm
One place I must mention is Rowley's at Baslow. Not really a pub now in the classic sense of the word but they do food and have a bar (nice Thorbridge ales). This place is pretty expen$ive but for a special occaision its very very very good food, and the staff are very helpful, and a slick but not poncy modern decor. I highly recommend it for anyone taking their shortie out for a treat. I think they have a cheaper early evening menu too.  Run by the Fischer's peeps so you know its all gravy.

Yeah, more of a proper restaurant than pub-grub but it is really good. Excellent food without the extreme prices and extreme stuffiness of somewhere like it's parent Fischers.

ChrisC

• menacing presence
#33 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 27, 2008, 10:19:15 pm
If you're on High Tor the only decent pub in Matlock Bath is the Temple Hotel, although 'the boat' in Cromford has re-opened after it went bust (and a deepl clean that was requried to say the laest) and is a top boozer and handy(ish) for Black Rocks.

Just over the top of High Tor is The White Lion, Starkholmes, which is an all round nice pub with friendly staff, good beer and good food.

Another vote for the Boat, it is better now its reopened and normal service resumed.  Though quiz night was always worth a laugh with the previous owner. 

While down this way The Bear, Alderwasley is worth a mention.  A bit of a gastro pub, but in a top location, top building and with top nosh too.  Cant remember the beer but I can't imagine it being shit.

Jug and Glass, Lea just changed hands so hopefully not gone down hill, but was very good before for all the right reasons.

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#34 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 28, 2008, 12:06:05 am
Although Earl Sterndale's Quiet Woman has received a heads up already, no one's yet mentioned their amazing pork pies. Undoubtedly its best feature (sign aside of course, but you can't eat that).

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#35 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 28, 2008, 08:30:38 am
Just over the top of High Tor is The White Lion, Starkholmes, which is an all round nice pub with friendly staff, good beer and good food.
And boules behind the bar for playing out front!

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds
#36 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 29, 2008, 09:21:02 pm
the main, old skool pub in youlgreave, what's it called - anyway can vouch for sunday's roast, more accurately the lamb, which was just that, a whole fucking locally rustled lamb, perched on top of a 'close encounters style' vegetable mountain - not sure about ale though

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#37 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
September 03, 2008, 05:31:23 pm
I'll put a vote in for The Chequers, not the cheapest but the food there has always been top notch then I've been.

Anyone been to The Bull at Foolow? Have heard a few reports that it's good, but never got round to trying it out.

underground

• forum hero
#38 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
September 03, 2008, 10:56:40 pm
Been to The Bull at Foolow a few times, and won't go again.. Previously it wasn't bad - nice dining experience ina cosy room by candlelight, decent enough food off a blackboard and loads of choice provided you were there early enough.

Last time though, we'd made a booking by email that was confirmed, only to arrive and be told 'sorry, we don't have your booking and hence no table'

'we booked a month ago by email'

'well, the landlady's rubbish with email - you can sit here'

Where 'here' is the smallest table known to man, shoehorned into a corner behind two barstools upon which the UK and European Cigarette smoking champions are stationed..

Then when I am about to turn around and leave, miraculously a table comes free in the dining room. So we order the beef wellington and sit down... The 'beef wellington' arrives, a fucking great bit of tough cow, in a fucking thick great chewy crust like a proper pasty company effort, and with some kind of vile liver pate inside in place of the expected mushroomy goodness - which is great news for my then pregnant, shouldn't be eating pate anyway, gyal dem sugar. And the 'red wine gravy' is more like an oxo diluted with saline, with extra salt for the extra saltiness.

But that's pubs in the peak - british food culture, plenty of people will keep going there week after week and not have a clue the shite they shovel into their mouths, much less care. I'll cook it myself rather than paying those lazy, smug, filthy useless cunts a penny. And do it a lot fucking better for a tenth of the 'cost'. And not have to listen to a bunch of facile 'locals' discussing their pointless existence. I can get Big Brother from the comfort of my lounge, ta.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#39 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
September 05, 2008, 05:30:11 pm
plenty of people will keep going there week after week and not have a clue the shite they shovel into their mouths, much less care.

Although at least UKBers are bucking the trend with this thread :).

Nice rant. As both a contrast and a tangent may I offer The Cavendish Arms in Embsay which is not in the Peak District but is well placed for a post Crookrise / Deer Gallows / Eastby meal and for that matter not far off-route for all of Bardon Moor / Fell and The Lime. Picked on a random whim a few months back and a nice find: simple pub, simple pub food, but done how it should be. This is proper pub grub not proper gastropub grub. What's nice is it's all obviously freshly cooked and does exactly what it says on the tin: Garlic bread with cheese was a flagship for pub garlic bread with cheese, juicy, piping hot and drenched with garlic and mature cheese. Pork fillet with Wensleydale had a well-cooked chunk of pork with a fine slab of Wensleydale and good vegetables. Scampi and chips was properly fishy with good, chunky chips. Service was good and friendly in a "local" sort of way. I'd recommend it.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#40 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
September 05, 2008, 07:11:06 pm
Sir William in Grindleford has always satisfied me. Good food, good service, nice views, tables outside for when its not raining. I think they are due to do some refurbishment work soon?

Inspired by this thread, I took Mrs Starfish to the Sir William last weekend. It was great. Best roast (pork shoulder) dinner I've had out in a long while - perfect roast spuds and parsnips, good gravy - I would have chosen a fattier cut of meat, but it was cooked just right - decent sized portions. Neither of us drank any booze, so can't comment on that side of things. They start their refurbishment next week and expect to be finished before the end of September.
They have already replaced the white plastic tables and chairs outside with nice, solid wooden ones.

dave

#41 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 21, 2008, 09:20:08 am
Have noticed the Sir Will'm is doing a 50% off ting at the moment:
http://www.sirwilliam.co.uk/opening-restaurant-offer-c30.html

dave

#42 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 21, 2008, 09:28:27 am
I'd also like to update on The Rising Sun, Fulwood. Have been in recently and had some very nice food, and the sunday carvery is good value and nice quality. obviously the beer is still well jackson.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#43 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 21, 2008, 10:21:11 am
and its 150yds away. boom.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#44 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 21, 2008, 10:59:27 am
Went there (Rising Sun) just the other night for the first time, very impressed, didn't know it was that good. Beer menu almost overwhelming.

Also noticed that the Lescar has come on a lot in the liquid refreshement stakes in the last few years. Started with a Franziskaner and thence onto a very nice and interesting Bonfire Toffee dark ale for mains.

Have noted SW for future reference.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#45 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 21, 2008, 11:12:20 am
I can't remember if I've posted this before but if anyone is in the Chapel/Chinley/Whaley area then the best pub for beer and food in these parts is.

The Old Hall in Whitehough/Chinley. http://www.old-hall-inn.co.uk/

Daniel has a great range of guest ales and for the lager drinkers he has Budvar & Staropramen (sp?) on draught which are both mighty during the Summer months. 

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#46 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 24, 2008, 09:16:43 am
... Started with a Franziskaner ...

Think their hefe and dunkel are a bit touch-&-go, but the kristal (light, filtered) is great (though it's not a winter tipple).

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#47 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 24, 2008, 05:40:56 pm
Ye Olde Rock Inn is utterly horrible. Bad food, bad beer and bad climbers/walkers area. Have never failed to be disappointed in there.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#48 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 24, 2008, 05:43:21 pm
Obviously, you all know The (S)Heights in Llanber' is Dead?  Finally.

The food was fucking dire so no loss anyway.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#49 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 24, 2008, 05:52:13 pm
Stopped at the pub in Hassops (name eludes my memory recall at the moment) on Saturday on the way home and had a nice pint.  Didn't try the food and there weren't masses of hand-pulled beers but a possible alternative to regular haunts for people passing nearby.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal