UKBouldering.com

Peak Pubs - booze & grub (Read 76643 times)

dave

#150 Peak Pubs - booze & grub
October 12, 2013, 05:14:32 pm
One from last weekend: The Stag on psalter lane, sheff. Thornbridge run place now, good beer, we went for sunday lunch with 2 kids. Place was busy but not too bad. Food was very good and reasonably priced. However, the service was glacially slow, basically the kitchen is about half the size it needs to be for that size of pub. So go there for food but not when its busy or if you're in a rush.

horn

• regular
#151 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
October 26, 2013, 11:50:30 pm
Glad I've discovered this thread, gonna be checking back through eagerly. I've just moved up here and I was under the impression that there were no decent pubs in the whole of the Peak District. Turns out there are, but the good ones aren't necessarily in the best locations for crags. One thing I have noticed (and this is a very broad generalisation) is that Peak District bar staff are a bit more reluctant to top up a foamy pint than I'm used to.

Until I've had a proper read back and explore, here's some brief opinions:

Little John aka "LJ's" - utter shite

Millstone - mediocre food, acceptable pint. don't get the dog snacks they sell in little bags on the bar mistaken for Jerky.

Scotsman's Pack - nice pint from mainstream breweries. not eaten there yet. It's alright.

Norfolk arms - nice pint shit food.

Fox house - another one of Vintage Inns depressing faux country pubs. yawn.

Broady - good beer, good whisky, really nice pork pie accompaniments (but no jelly round the pie..wtf?) Disgraceful food.

Cricket Inn -  really really well kept ale, good food (seems pricey for a pub, but the portions are decent). Serious chips. Does seem a bit pretentious.

Barrel Inn - Uninspiring and brief selection of ales, but what they had was well kept. Food is really tasty and generous portions, but oddly presented (my venison with mashed parsnip came garnished with a sprig of parsley, a rosemary stalk and some artfully trimmed pieces of tomato, reminiscent of a thai restaurant trying to be fancy. Otherwise, I really like it!

The Moon - absolutely the worst pub I have ever visited in my entire life. Dreadful in every way you can think of.

I guess peoples opinions of what makes a good pub vary wildly. Mine does too. There's a lot of variables interacting intangibly. Obviously quality of booze is the most important factor, decor and ambiance comes into it a bit, food less so (but not to be discounted). Can't explain why I liked the Barrel so much, it just 'felt' right.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#152 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
October 27, 2013, 07:41:59 am
can someone let horn know that dense is using his login

fried

• forum hero
#153 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
October 27, 2013, 07:53:37 am
Can't be, there's grammar, punctuation and everything. The words r even spelt out in full.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#154 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
October 27, 2013, 07:54:36 am
The moon has been shit for years, met the new landlord last night in the local shop who claimed it was greatly improved. Will have a wander down later

a dense loner

• forum hero
#155 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
October 27, 2013, 09:04:00 am
Fuckers.
Talking about dog food in pubs? Dogs shouldn't be allowed in pubs.

tomtom

• forum hero
#156 Peak Pubs - booze & grub
October 27, 2013, 09:27:58 am
Could some one tell Dense that his account has been taken over by Horn - theres punctuation and even CAPs... ;)

a dense loner

• forum hero
#157 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
October 27, 2013, 12:39:21 pm
 That's weird. It's the new OS on the iPad, you nearly had me.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#158 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
March 23, 2014, 07:37:20 pm
Tasty food in the Barrel today. Worth booking on a weekend as gets very busy with the OAP crowd. Amazing position on a clear day. Friendly staff, made us feel welcome despite not booking and having lively kids. Decent sized pudding portions, almost big enough to share and justify the £5 price.

SamT

• forum hero
#159 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
March 31, 2014, 10:30:03 pm

Been meaning to give the Anglers Rest in Bamford a shout out.

http://anglers.bamford.coop/

It was successfully snatched from under the noses of developers who'd actually bought it from the brewers by the local community who've been busy reviving.  They've split it so its half pub (on the left) half cafe on the right, and the local postoffice has moved to the middle.

I've not eaten in the pub side yet, but have stopped for a butty/soup in the cafe half and its very pleasant - kind of longlands esque.  They've got plans to develop the rest of it too including the possibility of a bunkhouse which is in existence, tucked away at the left hand end but not used.

One important thing to note is that there is loads of parking round the back, which is important because I think many folks (including  myself) just whizz by on the main road and your past it before you've thought about it.

I'd be interested to eat in the pub side.  Anyone been ??

tomtom

• forum hero
#160 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
April 01, 2014, 04:24:12 am
Good knowledge Sam.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#161 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
February 23, 2015, 08:18:53 pm
Any tips for a good pub pub i.e. non gastro, non chain in the peak? Am in and around Grindleford. Don't mind a bit of a drive.
Is the Anglers worth the trip?
Ta

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#162 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
February 23, 2015, 08:24:30 pm
Derwentwater Arms in Calver

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#163 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
February 23, 2015, 08:34:28 pm
If that's the one by the cross roads then agree

dave

#164 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
February 23, 2015, 11:17:47 pm

Any tips for a good pub pub i.e. non gastro, non chain in the peak? Am in and around Grindleford. Don't mind a bit of a drive.
Is the Anglers worth the trip?
Ta

Anglers in Millers Dale always been good when I've been in. Otherwise, head to the Grouse.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#165 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
February 24, 2015, 10:27:29 am
Plus the Druid in Birchover, and the Royal Oak in Hurdlow, both worth the extra drive.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#166 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
February 24, 2015, 11:00:09 am
Thanks all, will report back later.

SamT

• forum hero
#167 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
February 24, 2015, 03:27:08 pm
red lion in litton shirley ought to be high on the list.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#168 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
February 25, 2015, 01:49:59 pm
derwentwater arms not bad but not the best. really lovely friendly staff but only bass and doom bar and no food on. it was a no chip end to the day....

seankenny

• forum hero
#169 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
April 04, 2015, 01:49:58 pm
Has anyone been to the Yorkshire Bridge Inn, Bamford? Staying in Bamford for my mum's 70th birthday and looking for somewhere that does good food and isn't too far away. Not fussed about the beer.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#170 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
April 04, 2015, 07:19:44 pm
Not been in for years but ok the last time I went. There is the Ladybower Inn too which again last time I went in was decent enough standard pub food. Presume it's to take your mum out for food too? I'd also recommend Maazi in Hathersage though it's a curry house and I know the old folk aren't always keen on curry. They do a free minibus shuttle service from at least as far as Bamford though so need need to drive. Nicely done out inside too if you want to get in the good books

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#171 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 25, 2015, 11:12:09 am
Not really Peak but found this really friendly place at the weekend (part of a trend of converting shops into real ale joints) and its well worth a visit and only a minutes walk from Cheadle Hulme railway station.

http://www.thechivertontap.co.uk

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#172 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 25, 2015, 09:28:41 pm
Pointing Dog in Bakewell. Good food and service, child friendly. Cheaper than it's sister restaurant in Stockport too.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#173 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
September 04, 2015, 11:56:43 am
Any recommendations in / near Matlock?

dave

#174 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
September 04, 2015, 12:42:12 pm
Is The Druid at Birchover close enough to Matlock?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal