UKBouldering.com

Peak Pubs - booze & grub (Read 77124 times)

dave

Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 26, 2008, 01:45:52 pm
Alright you rimlickers

It just struck me that there's never been a real hub on here for recomendations and discussion of the relative merits of various peak (and peripheral) pubs vis a vis the standard of eating experience you can expect. This came to me after recently having either firsthand or secondhand tales of previsouly good pubs getting shit and vice versa.

So heads up, and everyone chip in with some knowledge. I'll start the ball rolling with:

The Millstone, Hathersage: I was always used to like this place, but lately it seems to have gone off the boil, like they've given up putting any effort in. The specials board never changes for a start. Famous for its sausage&mash mix&match combos, but the last one I had was shit. 2 tiny hard venison sausages (looked pre-cooked then quicky reheated, I'm sure they used to be bigger and better), a pile of what was described on the menu as "bubble & squeak" but was really just mash mixed with some bits of veg, not fried at all, bearing all the hallmarks of just having had 2 mins in the microwave, all sat in a large "yorkshire pudding" of the horrible brittle frozen type. And not cheap. And theres no slouchable seating. (That said, the ale is good with some peak locals.)

The Little John, Hathersage: Not the finest food going but decent, unashamedly massive portions and fairly cheap = very cheerful. Plus a good range of ales. Comfy seating.

The Dore Moor, Sheffield: last time we waited over 2 hours for shit food and left without paying. Avoid.

Any more for any more?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 08:50:15 am by dave »

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#1 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 26, 2008, 01:53:01 pm
the grouse near froggat

do good simple pub stodge, real fire (greati n winter)

also do a cheaper small portion if you don't want phelps/feltz size portions

nice deuchars IPA

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#2 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 26, 2008, 01:55:55 pm
Think The Millstone's changed hands or something. I know the guys who ran the Terrace restaurant when we had our wedding meal there two years ago aren't there anymore. This could explain the downturn in standards.

The Red Lion in Litton - only been for food once on a Sunday quite a while ago. It was cheap and very good in an Old Skool sunday roast style. I can't imagine it's altered much as Litton is in some sort of 1930s time warp.

The Fox House is fucking shit now. Used to be a great pub.

The Chequers is expensive (for a pub) but the last time I went it was still well worth it. I've never had a bad meal there.

ChrisC

• menacing presence
#3 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 26, 2008, 01:57:28 pm
Anglers Rest, Millers Dale - Good food - Pie night especially on a Thursday eve, finishes a bit early if your at the Tor though.

Red Lion, Litton - Top pub, top food, friendlt staff.

Three Stags Head, Wardlow Mires - A Shit pub in all respects.  Unless you like the Countryside Alliance, grumpy service, beer that tastes like it was made from mud and an air that smells like the Yorvik Viking Center.

Re The Grouse, it's what the Fox House should be (or was...) Totally aggree with the above - Its a toss up between the Red Lion and The Grouse for the best pub in the Peak for me.

dave

#4 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 26, 2008, 02:03:16 pm
I think scouse told me the Fox House was shite recently.

Chequers was always good when I've been (i.e. when parents were paying...).

Eyre Arms, Hassop: Not been recently but was always very good food, a bit expensive but worth it on occaision. Very cosy setup.

Angler's Rest, Miller's Dale: Again I've not been super recently but have always found it friendly, nice oldschool food and good beer previousy - hope its still the same. Got a walker's room for those in mucky boots. (just seen punter's post, great minds etc).

Was gonna ask if anyone had food at the 3slags heads? I always thought it was OK, might not be to everyone's tastes but at least its different, and I have never been able to fault the beer.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 26, 2008, 02:08:12 pm
The Monsal Head Hotel - Used to be quite good but the last couple of times it's been pants. Last time I went there I ordered some sort of Spanish salad but all i got was a lot of tired, limp lettuce and greens, some flavourless tinned artichokes and a few measly bits of not very good chorizo. Very unsatisfying.

The Chequers Inn - Always been good.

The Moon - Not bad but nothing great.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#6 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 26, 2008, 02:15:37 pm
The Little John, utterly shit how they managed to get into the good beer guide amazes me.
Red Lion and The three Stags heads are from memory top pubs.
The Grouse, fine beer but never eaten there,
The Scotsman's pack is shit.
The Robin Hood below Birchens has been taken over and the beer is now drinkable, don't know about the food.
Norfolk Arms, I haven't been in since the makeover but I reckon it will be bust in the new year.
The Fox House, it's a plastic pub so you know what to expect.
The Miners Standard, still a good country boozer

ChrisC

• menacing presence
#7 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 26, 2008, 02:24:20 pm
Ok, maybe a bit harsh on the Three Stags - but when you phone rings as you walk into a pub and someone demands a quid for "Charity" without so much as an explanation, and then says that "Charity" is the Countryside Alliance they can fuck off.   Its hardly cancer research.  I believe a similar incident happened to Irish Si and some friends a few years ago where he locked them in the pub until they agreed to pay for their beer?

The Bulls Head, Ashford in the Water  - Never eaten, but supposed to be good, nice atmosphere and nice beer.

The Moon - I think it changed hands recently, supposed to do a good curry night now (Tuesdays?).

Re The Little John, I've never forgiven them for serving partially frozen lasange, taking it away for 15mins, and then bringing it back nuclear hot with cold chips.

I ate at the Robin Hood last weekend - Reasonable food at resonable prices.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#8 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 26, 2008, 02:34:53 pm
Three Stags Head, Wardlow Mires - A Shit pub in all respects.  Unless you like the Countryside Alliance, grumpy service, beer that tastes like it was made from mud and an air that smells like the Yorvik Viking Center.

So wrong. Best pub in the peak. Best if you camp there for a night, then you can stay long enough to enjoy the music, and whatever else happens to happen. Impromptu folk dancing lessons (including a traditional arse kicking dance) made for one of my favourite nights there.

I was stung by the quid for phone tax once. I argued but then paid. Countryside Alliance is probably something they made up to wind you up. It's worth a quid just because it's such a brilliantly obnoxious country rule.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 02:46:36 pm by r-man »

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#9 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 26, 2008, 02:43:01 pm
I must admit I can see why you'd be put off. No amount of folk dancing would compensate for someone trying to force me to donate money to the Countryside Alliance, joke or not.

cofe

• forum hero
#10 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 26, 2008, 02:46:03 pm
i don't remember the fox house ever being any good. same chain as dore moor, no? the latter is v shit.

red lion litton good - went the other week. beware they don't welcome people with babies or kids under 6 - weird.

i like the grouse nr froggatt. simple and honest and a good fire going when it's cold.

travellers rest nr buxton/roaches is good. not eaten there for a couple of yrs though innit.

used to like millstone for sausages and mona lisa smoking reefer in toilet but got ill from eating there last time so haven't been back. that must be over a yr ago etc.

dave

#11 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 26, 2008, 02:54:09 pm
beware they don't welcome people with babies or kids under 6

Shirley all babies are under 6 by deffinition?

I must admit I've always found the food in the Grouse to be "good" rather than amazing, but the whole ambiance of the place is alluring, and the location is a winner, you can pop out and solo tegness pinnacle while waiting for your main course. I just wish their range of beers was just a bit wider than just Banks and Deuchars IPA. Beware I think theres one day of the week they don't do food (if you're just turning up on spec), I think its mondays.

Another good one almost in the peak is The Sportsman at Lodge Moor. Good food, homely vibe. Popular too, so worth booking for a meal, especially on weekends.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#12 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 26, 2008, 02:54:26 pm
Sir William in Gridleford has always satisfied me. Good food, good service, nice views, tables outside for when its not raining. I think they are due to do some refurbishment work soon?

grimer

• forum hero
#13 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 26, 2008, 02:58:16 pm
The Strines is a nice pub for drinking in, nice atmosphere, although not thought the food was great.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#14 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 26, 2008, 03:00:26 pm
Perhaps delineation with regards to beer quality and food quality is required....

PubBeer QualityFood QualityOther Comments
Fox HousePassable, varying selection of real alesOver-priced and genericUseful car-park for Burbage South
Millstone InnGood & varied selection of real alesOnly eaten once a month or so ago and the meal was enjoyed by allClosest pub to Millstone
Little JohnBeer selection isn't great, but its okMassive portions of what generally appears to be freshly prepared mealsGood value for those on a budget
Yorkshire Bridge InnCan't comment, haven't eaten thereFriendly Place, nearest pub to Bamford Edge
Ladybower InnNot much choice on alesFoods home-cooked, but nothing specialBetter off at the Yorkshire Bridge
Strines Moor InnFair selection of alesN/A (Haven't eaten there)Nearest pub to Dovestones/Back Tor
Bridge Inn, CurbarGood selection of beerN/A (Haven't eaten there)
The MoonGood selection of well kept beersN/A (Haven't eaten there)Very friendly, curry nights on Tuedays (till 21.00)
Three StagsOnly drank there once, and had shandy as I was driving, so can't commentN/A (Haven't eaten there)Quite small, but camping available outside.
Monsal Head HotelNot a very wide selection of ales, but mostly local brewsN/A (Haven't eaten there)Very slow service
Rising SunExcellent varied selection of well kept beersN/A (doesn't really serve food)Good alternative when returning from Burbage/Stanage if you don't mind cutting through Fulwood
Chequers InndDon't remember selection of beersExcellent foodClosest pub to Froggat (depending on where you park), food is pricey though.
Grouse InnPassable selection of beers, generally well servedN/A (Haven't eaten there)Also close to Froggat (depending on where you live), seems to have strange opening hours (i.e. closed when I tried calling in once!)
Robin Hood InnGood well kept beers (now0Haven't eaten there for a while, but used to be good and a sensible selection of sandwichesClosest pub to Birchen, sells nice honey behind the bar. No longer has the naval theme.
Peacock InnSmall selection of beers, generally well served.Very nice food, but quite priceyOn the way home from Gardoms/Baslow/Birchen/Curbar.  Entertainment on Saturdays/Sundays watching boy-racers pull whellies on their motorbikes.

Here's a sample table for others to use, simply quote this post then copy and paste the following and fill in the relevant sections (if you can be bothered)...

PubBeer QualityFood QualityOther Comments
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 03:13:44 pm by Bubba, Reason: froggart »

dave

#15 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 26, 2008, 03:14:46 pm
The rising sun does do food, not that I've ever had it. Superb pub.

The Ladybower used to do brilliant food - had a few very good meals there, and early last December I went with the shortie and we had the xmas menu, it was amazing. however recently I've had reports of it being totally shit. Was residing squarely in mediocreville last time i went early this summer.

Yorkshire Bridge food is good, not amazing but pretty consistent, and will give you a free basket of bread if you ask (always pays to read the menu fineprint....). Specials board regularly changes. Very good Copper Dragon ales - currently Golden Pippin and 1816, plus Old Peculiar and another one (bombadier?). Written (and illustrated) letter on the wall from Rolf Harris who ate there in 1998 praising the food, and was evidently so satiated he was unable to spell the name of the establishment correctly. Can you tell what it is yet?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 03:25:08 pm by dave »

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#16 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 26, 2008, 03:19:32 pm
My mistake, only saw sandwich menu at lunch time the other day and didn't think it was worth mentioning.  Its now the nearest pub to where I'm working and will no doubt become a regular  :thumbsup:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#17 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 26, 2008, 03:44:31 pm
i don't remember the fox house ever being any good. same chain as dore moor, no?

Last time I went in there was 1997. Had great food, loads of beer, and pitched the tent out the back. It all went south not long after, never been back.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 04:10:40 pm by SA Chris »

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#18 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 26, 2008, 03:59:43 pm

Yeah, the Fox House used to be a real pub a long time ago.

cofe

• forum hero
#19 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 26, 2008, 04:20:44 pm
i used to walk past it en route to burb sth after getting off the bus from sheff back in '97. can't remember going in. it says a lot for a pub when its best feature is its car park.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#20 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 26, 2008, 04:55:31 pm
Food-wise, The Plough @ Hathersage, Derwentwater something or other @ Calver and The Barrel @ well wherever it is, the big ridge above Grindleford, piss all over most of those, except the Chequers but they don't count as they're a bunch of snotty cunts in there.

In the South East Peak and slightly more upmarket, Le Mistral in Wirksworth is excellent.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#21 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 26, 2008, 05:10:49 pm
I've never been able to tally this "The Chequers is run by snotty cunts" attitude with the actual experience of eating / drinking there. I've been going for years and have only ever had good service and excellent food.

I guess others must have had bad experiences as it's an oft touted line. Maybe I've just been lucky.  :-\

cofe

• forum hero
#22 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 26, 2008, 05:13:41 pm
the old bowling green in winster. remember it having good food and beer. plus they sell our books behind the bar. good stuff.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#23 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 26, 2008, 08:10:39 pm
We've eaten at the Strines quite a bit, always rated it. Not amazing but good home made pub grub. Their chips are rather special. Fox house is pretty souless nowdays but the food is alright.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#24 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 26, 2008, 08:43:14 pm
I'll throw in a vote for The Plough in Grindleford.
The Gate in Brassington used to be amazing, but it's a few years since I last went.
The Devonshire Arms in Beeley - top food, excellent beer, roaring fire and on the way back from Cratcliffe. What could be better for post bouldering visit?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal