UKBouldering.com

something for the holiday sir? (Read 147729 times)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#450 Re: something for the holiday sir?
April 25, 2017, 12:19:49 pm
I was all excited by the look and spec of the X-10 until I handled one.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#451 Re: something for the holiday sir?
April 25, 2017, 12:35:13 pm
That's easy, LX7. I lost my LX5 a couple of years back and the 7 was a worthwhile upgrade from that. I don't notice it on my harness, leading up to E5 on sea cliffs and mountain routes.
Has this been replaced by the TZ70?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#452 Re: something for the holiday sir?
April 25, 2017, 12:36:10 pm
That's easy, LX7

Is that the Lumix? Don't seem to be many around online, what's the list price?

dave

#453 Re: something for the holiday sir?
April 25, 2017, 12:39:14 pm
Other thing worth looking at is the Sony RX100 - father-in-law has one and rates it.

https://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/pd/Sony-Cyber-Shot-RX100-Black-Digital-Camera_DSCRX100

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#454 Re: something for the holiday sir?
April 25, 2017, 12:51:19 pm
That's easy, LX7

Is that the Lumix? Don't seem to be many around online, what's the list price?

Plenty on Ebay.

That's easy, LX7. I lost my LX5 a couple of years back and the 7 was a worthwhile upgrade from that. I don't notice it on my harness, leading up to E5 on sea cliffs and mountain routes.
Has this been replaced by the TZ70?

LX10/15 is the latest model, but new might stretch the budget. TZ70 has a super-zoom.

I was put off the RX100 by the high price (tho cheaper now) and the lack of 24mm wideangle.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#455 Re: something for the holiday sir?
April 26, 2017, 08:36:53 am
Thanks all. A choice between the RX100 and the LX7 I think. Fujis are a little too big for me and the LX10 doesn't offer a viewfinder of any kind. The later model RX100s have a 24mm equivalent lens as well as the big sensor (but a big price - definitely over budget for a climbing camera). Time to have a play.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#456 Re: something for the holiday sir?
April 26, 2017, 09:29:56 am
the LX10 doesn't offer a viewfinder of any kind.

Neither does the LX7. It's the LX100 that has a viewfinder but it's probably too big and pricey.

Paul B

• forum hero
#457 Re: something for the holiday sir?
April 26, 2017, 10:20:30 am
Invest the extra cash into a phone upgrade?

Nat dropped our S95 on a particularly spikey bit of granite smashing the screen which means it's hardly used these days. However, I thought it was great and much smaller than my LX5. That said, i always thought the quality of output from the iPhone 5C was equally as good as the Canon.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#458 Re: something for the holiday sir?
August 10, 2017, 11:15:34 am
https://www.parkcameras.com/p/6012680R/waterproof-cameras/ricoh/ricoh-wg-50-waterproof-camera-in-orange

As far as rugged / waterproof cameras go, is there anything similar to this that's a better option. Or is a  "Go Pro /  action camera" preferable?

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#459 Re: something for the holiday sir?
August 10, 2017, 11:24:21 am
It depends what you want to do with it exactly- a GoPro isn't very handleable.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#460 Re: something for the holiday sir?
August 10, 2017, 11:28:51 am
Well that's part of it. Was doing a bit of snorkelling with old go pro on holiday, and results generally OK, but it's getting a bit old, and one of mounts is snapped, so was thinking of upgrading it, and was seeing what else was out there.

General use when I can;t be bothered carrying DSLR, messing about on beach or in lakes with kids on SUP and canoes, rock climbing, skiing, occasional winter route, snorkelling, maybe surfing.

dave

#461 Re: something for the holiday sir?
August 11, 2017, 12:10:27 am
I think Olympus do some good waterproof ones, TG-4, TG-5 etc.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#462 Re: something for the holiday sir?
August 11, 2017, 09:31:29 am
I'd get a Gopro.

tomtom

• forum hero
#463 Re: something for the holiday sir?
August 11, 2017, 10:08:02 am
I've one of those go-pro clones (£40-60 on Amazon) and it seems decent. Not used the waterproof housing yet - hoping to later at the beach this month - but the video seems decent enough...

SamT

• forum hero
#464 Re: something for the holiday sir?
August 15, 2017, 06:41:26 am
Just bought a tg-4 for holibobz and it's been great. Many of the caving mob really rate them with tales of survival being dropped down pitches and generally putting up with mud grime water abuse etc. 

Perfect for snorkelling/canyoning/via ferrata without the fear of trashing/losing my phone and the hassle that would ensue. Wi-Fi too so good for simply transferring photos to your phone. RAW format if you wish.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

SA Chris

• forum hero
#465 Re: something for the holiday sir?
August 15, 2017, 10:34:28 am
Will have a look. What "Proper" Go Pro do you think is best value at the moment JB?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#466 Re: something for the holiday sir?
August 15, 2017, 11:11:45 am
No idea, soz. I've only used other people's.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#467 Re: something for the holiday sir?
August 15, 2017, 11:14:39 am
I got a "Hero 5 Black" a few weeks ago. The "Session" version has a fixed battery and no screen which was enough to persuade me that I needed the bigger one.

It's quite usable via the touchscreen and you can set almost everything manually with the smartphone app (although you can't stop it down and there are no NDs so I had to leave the shutter on auto when it was sunny...), it has a linear mode which corrects the fisheye in camera too. Also inbuilt stabilisation which I guess works by digital cropping- I haven't used it. I can't really believe it works underwater without any other housing, let alone that the mic works underwater!

It eats batteries and the colour goes to shit in 4k mode. I've only used it for video so no idea what the photos are like- ergonomically it's worse than a phone for that. For waving at your family it's mega, particularly if you have mounts from your old one. I filmed my sister's kids scrambling at Black Rocks with it on a monopod and it came out really well.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#468 Re: something for the holiday sir?
August 15, 2017, 11:20:29 am
Sounds great, but not sure I'm prepared to drop over £300 on something that I could lose at any time.

Hero 4 session looks good value, but gets bad reviews. Still probably better than my present one though.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#469 Re: something for the holiday sir?
August 15, 2017, 12:31:41 pm

jshaw

• addict
#470 Re: something for the holiday sir?
August 15, 2017, 12:45:13 pm
Have a look at the Hero 3+ silver/black. Does pretty much everything the 4 does and is a lot cheaper (on ebay).

El Mocho

• forum abuser
#471 Re: something for the holiday sir?
November 06, 2017, 04:45:16 pm
Keen to get back into photography... In my uni days (sharing a house with Johnny B) I had an Olympus OM SLR and really enjoyed going out using it. Since the advent of digital I've only had compacts and haven't really enjoyed it as much.

I'm keen to get something with knobs and dials for me to fiddle with and to begin with I'd want to use the lenses I have from the Olympus (think I have a 17mm (wide and cheap!) a 28 and a 50) so I guess I would need a converter for other brands/mirrorless.

Want to take photos of:
Climbing
Landscape
General life stuff
Dogs prancing round

Don't want to take photos of:
Fast moving sport
Close up flowers and shit
Stuff miles away with a big long lens

I'll not be carrying it on climbs although I'd be keen for something relatively light and small and also reasonably robust. I'll also likely use it for video but stills would be a priority over this.

Gonna buy secondhand, budget would be £500 max for the body and converter, ideally less but don't want something which will be shit. Also future lens price being reasonable as it would be nice to get proper lenses.

Should I go mirrorless? Full frame or 4/3rds?

Mirrorless I've had a quick google of:
Sony Alpha A7 or A6...   Look nice, maybe out of price range/at top of price range
Olympus OM-D EM-10   Kinda like staying with Olympus for no real reason! Bit cheaper, still sounds good (not full frame, only 16MP (will this matter?)) maybe be able to afford compatible lens?
Fujifilm X-T20

What to people suggest? Have spoken with JB about it but I can't remember all the numbers and letters he told me + I know he is the law when it comes to gritstone and photogroshizzle but keen to hear other opinions as well.

dave

#472 Re: something for the holiday sir?
November 06, 2017, 08:05:02 pm
If you're wanting to use your OM lenses then the best solution is to just use the OM, pay for developing and scanning. That is probably the lightest, cheapest (up front) and most robust option, with the best user experience.

Using OM lenses on M4/3 is doable but ultimately, for me, not worth the hassle, as there are lighter sharper native lenses available for not much dollar, and they all come with AF. Although there is focus peaking of magnified views available on most mirrorless systems, some better than others, but none are as nice and quick and easy as using the MF lenses on their native SLR body. Basically m4/3rds is a great system but I couldn't buy one specifically for using legacy glass unless - I've done it and none of the legacy glass is anywhere near as sharp or usable as the cheapest m4/3rds 45mm or 25/20mm lenses. I suspect the same is gonna be true of the Fuji bodies too.

If I was buying for legacy OM glass and hell bent on not shooting film then at your budget a used Sony A7 is probably your best solution, although I don't know how usable whatever their focus assist system is for day to day use.

Final option - convert all the OM glass to Nikon mount and shoot it on whatever the smallest/cheapest Nikon FX body avaialble second hand is with a custom ground glass screen for focusssing - D700 or D600? Still way over budget though.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#473 Re: something for the holiday sir?
November 06, 2017, 09:46:23 pm

Using OM lenses on M4/3 is doable but ultimately, for me, not worth the hassle, as there are lighter sharper native lenses available for not much dollar, and they all come with AF. Although there is focus peaking of magnified views available on most mirrorless systems, some better than others, but none are as nice and quick and easy as using the MF lenses on their native SLR body.

:agree: The problem with adapting any lenses to M43 is that they all come out so much longer- you need to get a native lens if you want anything like wide angle.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#474 Re: something for the holiday sir?
November 07, 2017, 08:11:07 am
I'll keep an eye out for a used A7 word. £500 ish. The adaptors are about a tenner on eBay. You can use pretty much any glass. AF lenses are pricey, as are adaptors for modern lenses. I could lend you a 90 to round out the kit.

The best 4/3rds option would be an OM-D EM-5. £200-250 used, leaving a decent amount for lenses. You'd need to buy dedicated modern lenses though. Last time I looked wide options were limited.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal