September 16, 2008, 10:48:24 am
I work with one of them.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#51 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 16, 2008, 10:56:20 am
How does this iplayer thing work? I have a video capable ipod and itunes on my PC, is there anything else I need? I must check this out, I'd be surprised if I couldn't figure out where their 'secret' location was.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#52 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 16, 2008, 10:59:54 am

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#53 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 16, 2008, 11:24:14 am
Man on a mission there.

I'd like a pet peg. Or a pet wild boar!!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#54 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 16, 2008, 11:29:43 am
I work with one of them.

We have several in our office.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#55 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 16, 2008, 11:41:21 am
Here's a stupid, but on topic, question. 

The types of mushrooms they had on the BBC programme last night, and wild mushrooms in general, do they taste very different to bog standard mushrooms?  I don't like regular mushrooms but I feel like I'm missing out not eating any at all, would fancy mushrooms taste very different?

I think I need that man to come round and cook me lasagne, and no, that's not a euphemism.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#56 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 16, 2008, 11:43:57 am
I'm not the world's biggest fan of mushrooms per se but I've found the fancier ones I do tend to like more.

I found a while ago that Oyster and Shittake mushrooms greatly improved how favourably I look upon mushrooms...

Plattsy

• forum hero
#57 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 16, 2008, 11:54:59 am
No Ceps found last night at the top of Wharncliffe woods. Did find some Laccaria amethystea and Russula mairei though. The woods are very dark up there and are made up of beech, oak, sycamore and silver birch. Lots of leaf litter and brambles below.

Gonna take better equipment tonight like a proper camera and a notepad so I can identify the others I found. Think I'll venture over to the Grenoside side.

Magpie, Have a look round your local supermarket. They might be stocking a few different types of mushroom at this time of the year.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#58 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 16, 2008, 11:56:55 am
Magpie, Have a look round your local supermarket. They might be stocking a few different types of mushroom at this time of the year.
I might have a go with different ones, as long as they don't all taste exactly the same as the normal ones.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#59 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 16, 2008, 12:06:48 pm
I find wild mushrooms do actually have a taste, rather than the tasteless button type things you get in the supermarket. And they all taste subtly different. Worth a try anyway.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#60 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 16, 2008, 12:08:24 pm
Some taste more different than others. The textures are often pretty different from standard mushroom which is a domesticated version of Agaricus bisporus.
Some that are quite a bit different to these are:

Chicken Of The Woods – Soft fibrous texture not unlike chicken breast, slightly sharp flavour. Great in stir fry or with bacon in creamy pasta sauce.
Jew’s Ear – Crisp gelatinous texture, very little flavour. The texture works really well in spring rolls and Chinese style noodle soups.
Parasol – Very chickeny flavour, turn a bit soft when cooked. Makes exceptional mushroom pate and fritters.
Blewits – Fragrant almost floral flavour, normal mushroomy texture. Good with pork and chicken, in pies and casseroles.
Saffron Milkcap – Maintains its firm slightly brittle/crumbly texture when cooked. Slightly sweet fragrant taste. Great fried simple with garlic and parsley on toast.
Morels – Superb rich almost smoky flavour, firm slightly brittle texture. Brilliant fine dining mushroom. I really like them stuffed with smoked polish sopoka ham, brie and wine, then baked; or reduced with cream and wine, on top of fillet steak.
Aniseed Clitocybe – Normal mushroom texture. Sweet aniseed aroma and taste. Have yet to cook these. Founds some last week and have dried to use as flavouring in place of Tarragon.
I could go on.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#61 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 16, 2008, 12:14:28 pm
Ever found/eaten a "beef steak" fungi Bonjoy? When I saw Mr Mears cooking one in butter on the telly it looked amazing and he seemed to enjoy it.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#62 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 16, 2008, 12:18:13 pm
To be fair he seems to enjoy everything, even if it's totally rank.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#63 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 16, 2008, 12:27:16 pm
True but this thing looked like steak when he cut it open. Mmmmm steak.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#64 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 16, 2008, 12:40:04 pm
...lots of good mushroom stuff...

Brilliant, thank you, half the time it's a texture thing with mushrooms as well as the taste I'm not keen on so some of them sound very appealing, I'll have a look at what I can get hold of. 

I just need to find someone clever enough to cook them for me now  :-\

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#65 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 16, 2008, 12:49:05 pm
Ever found/eaten a "beef steak" fungi Bonjoy? When I saw Mr Mears cooking one in butter on the telly it looked amazing and he seemed to enjoy it.
Yes, they are fairly common in old oak woods. Chatsworth estate is a good place to look. I find they look better than they taste. They have a slightly tart flavour. I enjoyed eating them, but it wasn't amazing. It may well be that I've just not found the best way to deal with them in the kitchen yet

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#66 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 16, 2008, 08:44:07 pm
I just need to find someone clever enough to cook them for me now 

Mr Sharma could be trained....
if he stays off the weed and we can find a fungi cooking expert with A LOT of patience

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#67 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 16, 2008, 10:25:20 pm
Just watched What to Eat Now on iplayer. Hmmmm, looks like cut n paste, no integrity, anything to make 'the scene', usual TV bollocks. Despite claiming they were searching limestone areas, everywhere they went (and they went to at least four different places) looked to be acidic grit woodland. I recognised two of the places they went. One was my best area in the peak so I won't say where it is, the other was Longshaw. The strange thing about the Longshaw scene was that they went to a favourite Cep spot and did a scene with them finding Ceps, but what the camera showed them picking appeared very unusual for Ceps! First was a close up shot of him picking what looked like Leccinum scabrum. Then he was shown handling one which looked wrong, far too shiny and dark brown; and with the wrong coloured stipe, a bit like Leccinum roseofractum, but could have been a painted mushroom made of wood. No wonder the mushroom expert guy looked rather uncomfortable throughout. My guess is they cobbled a bogus scene together for the camera using disparate locations and fungi  :-\ .Frauds I tell you. Does this look like Cep to you?

A pic of a real peak cep for comparison

« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 08:17:03 am by Bonjoy »

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#68 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 17, 2008, 08:32:32 am
Aha. Did a bit of googling and found the truffle expert guy discussing the day on another website. Sounds like it was Leccinum

Stewy wrote:
Where was the "penny bun" Truffle? I watched and matey was on about ceps/penny buns and seemed to have a Brown birch bolete or something similar on his hands? 

Exactly! we waxed on about how these are often included in 'cep' or 'porcini' dry mixes (they are nearly always a mix of boletus) which was lost in the editing (i wanted it on the voice over too) and we did find some small edulis, but not the ones on the close-up. I've learnt before that your at the mercy of editors, no great problem in this case i think. I've had worse which was edited so that it sounded like I grew truffles in petri dishes with nothing to do with trees  .Got some wonderful edulis a week after, hoping for some more this weekend...
Truffle

edit- we collect a lot of leccinum around here- the specimen shown in the close-up being held is from a tree that produces the most amazing mushies- firm, nutty and taste just like a cep. most of the brown birch boletes (leccinum) round here are soft, watery and poorly flavored.- good for drying though.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#69 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 17, 2008, 09:45:43 am
I had a somewhat lengthy dream last night that I'd found a fairly sizable haul of some sort of Boletus and was fretting because I didn't know how to cook them.

I blame Bonjoy for this.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#70 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 17, 2008, 10:21:54 am
You should have had the smallest firmest ones as raw cep carpacio with parmesan, olive oil, lemon juice and pepper. The rest you should have dried and used for making Risotto.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#71 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 17, 2008, 11:34:09 am
ref mushrooms and dreams:

t'other night, ate some rather tasty hedgehog fungus (hydnum repandum?) with fresh pasta, garlic, butter and hints of rosemary and lemon

rather bizarrely awoke at 4am mid-dream having just re-arranged a magentic letter board into the words

Anal Refreshment

...my parter was nonplussed

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#72 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 17, 2008, 11:40:19 am
rather bizarrely awoke at 4am mid-dream having just re-arranged a magentic letter board into the words

Anal Refreshment

...my parter was nonplussed

You keep a magnetic letter board next to the bed or were you sleeping in the fridge?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#73 Re: Mushrooms '08
October 09, 2008, 01:08:56 pm
Seems its more than Bonjoy's car-park that has some unusual/foreign 'shrooms turning up.

More truffles have been found in Clumber Park (although they may have been there all along).

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#74 Re: Mushrooms '08
October 09, 2008, 01:12:30 pm
Quote from: insightful reporter struggling to find anything worth saying
Mushrooms are a popular addition to many kinds of dishes

the caption under the photo in that article  :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal