UKBouldering.com

Mushrooms '08 (Read 53423 times)

simes

• stalker
    • http://www.simes303.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/index.htm
#25 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 05, 2008, 03:38:33 pm
Nice one cheers. How is it that you have such mushroom knowledge? Is it part of your job?

Si.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#26 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 07, 2008, 11:14:25 am
Okay, got my arse out to Padley Gorge and the Longshaw Estate yesterday and spent a good few hours wandering around eyeing up 'shrooms trying to work out what they were and whether they're worth picking.

Here are the fruits of my labour (apologies for the length) and my educated deductions (using Phillips and a pocket size Collins Gem guide) as to whether they're edible (I've shot some pics of the picked fruits with greater detail and will upload them in due course).  All pics are hyper-linked to their page on flickr where you can view larger versions (if you reeeaaaally want to).

Common Yellow Rusulla (Russula ochroleuca)

Lots of these about, seemed very popular with slugs, picked a few of the more complete ones.  Not sure about eating though, may be easily confused with Yellow Swamp Rusulla (R. claroflava) which aren't edible.

Common Earth Ball (Scleroderma citrinium)

Picked a couple of these as I remember reading most puffballs are edible, but upon checking these particular species are't so they've been ditched.

Tawny Grisette (Amanita fulva)

Pretty 'shroom, if I've got the ID correct its edible, but might give it a miss as Amanita species are often poisonous and I wouldn't want to make a mistkae.

Boletus (either Boletus pruinatus or Boletus granulatus)

Either species are edible, the former is rare, so I suspect its the later.  (Upon reviewing the picture at home I've learnt a valuable lesson about clearing the foreground when shooting 'shrooms  :P)

Lycoperdon perlatum

Should have picked some of these over the other puff-balls, as (if I've got the species correct) these are edible when young.

Red-cracked Boletus (Boletus chrysenteron)

Scarlett Hood (Hygrocybe coccinea)

Picked these on a whim as they're quite striking and turns out they're supposedly quite tasty.

Hygrophorus sp.

Picked quite a few of these, I think I've actually got two species, Blackening Wax Cap (<i>Hygrocybe nigrescens</i>) which are orange or scarlet and the Conical Wax Cap (<i>Hygrocybe conicus</i>) which are yellow-orange.  Both are edible, but the later isn't recommended.

Liverty Cap (Psilocybe semilanceata)

Don't think I need to say much about these ;)

Others I'm pretty sure aren't edible

Blusher (Amanita rubescens)

Edible when cooked apparently, but not one I'm going to test (although tempted to get some roasted Fly Agaric at some point, maybe).

Brick Caps (Hypholoma sublateritium)

???

No idea, but whatever it is its getting towards the end of its life (cap curling up with gills clearly showing round the edge).

Bolbitius vitellinus

Not too sure the species is correct, but seems to match the picture, and it was growing on a big pile of rotting wood.

Not sussed these ones yet, but there were lots of them...

I've some more pics, but will leave it there for now.  Photographing fungi is almost as much fun picking them  :thumbsup:

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#27 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 07, 2008, 05:08:04 pm
Good skills. All the IDs seem correct, except the first boletus looks like Bay boletus - Boletus badius to me, but couldn't say for sure without looking at the pores and staining.
That mystery orange one is another Hygrophorus species (Waxcap) of some sort. In the top field opposite the hall you get Pink Waxcaps which are pretty rare and quite unusual looking.

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#28 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 07, 2008, 08:40:57 pm
Apparently this wet shite apology for weather has had the (not inconsiderable) consolation of providing a bumper year for truffles in this country all I need now is an english truffle hound...
bugger.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#29 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 07, 2008, 09:05:33 pm
 8) Thanks for the confirmation on ID's Bonjoy, very much appreciated.

Checked out the description of Boletus badius and compared it to the harvested one, and your almost definitely correct.  Bonus is that Philips indicates that its tasty.  Fortunately the mis-identification wouldn't have resulted in sickness.

All of a sudden I'm not too bothered if its drizzling at the weekend as I've something else to do now.  Time to dig out the maps and seek out potential foraging venues (or perhaps start with some  :google: ).

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#30 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 08, 2008, 02:47:26 pm

That mystery orange one is another Hygrophorus species (Waxcap) of some sort. In the top field opposite the hall you get Pink Waxcaps which are pretty rare and quite unusual looking.

Could it be Camarophyllus pratensis?

Nice pics Slack-line, and props for doing your ID before picking. Too many folk take the lazy option and pick everything and identify at home. Not only is this harder for ID, as you lose habitat context, its also bad for diversity. Some fields in The Peak have SSSI status partly based on the occurence of rare Waxcaps - try to resist the temptation to eat these!

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#31 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 08, 2008, 03:53:56 pm
It looks too small and too orange to be Meadow Waxcap - Camarophyllus/Hygrocybe pratensis . You do get lots of Meadow Waxcaps growing around there, but they are bigger and have a more peachy colour, tending to turn paler as they get old. They also have an unusually domed cap for a Waxcap which doesn't normally become extremely convexed like the pictured mushroom.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#32 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 08, 2008, 04:13:24 pm
Fair points, although

They also have an unusually domed cap for a Waxcap which doesn't normally become extremely convexed like the pictured mushroom.

isn't what my book or Rogers suggests

Cap 3–8cm across, convex then flattened with broad umbo, becoming distorted and often cracking with age, ochraceous or tawny-buff.

I've seen another picture which is almost certainly the same species which is also totally convexed. strangulata seems the most likely but is rather orange? Tricky group.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#33 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 08, 2008, 05:01:15 pm
Ooops I meant concave not convex. I have seen them flare up at the edges a bit, but not as much as that picture. Even old specimens tend to retain the umbo to some extent. Anything so old as to be that concave would be much paler. Strangulata seems more likely or reidii
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 05:53:28 pm by Bonjoy »

Idol eyes

• junky
#34 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 09, 2008, 11:07:39 pm
One which may intrest you VonJoy...
the recent imported eco soil, laid upon the bishopsgate tower, EC2, London,(80mtrs) has sprouted a magnificent hoard of shrooms and is not even finished construction?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#35 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 10, 2008, 11:32:43 pm
I was wrong in saying that I have Roger Phillips' Mushroom book, instead I actually have his...

...which is excellent in helping identify the things that you pick.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#36 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 11, 2008, 07:51:10 am
Just stumbled on Rogers Mushrooms which is based on the book below.  Pretty handy (but not as nice as the book).

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#37 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 11, 2008, 09:34:20 am
That is just the old edition of the current book and is pretty much just as good as the new one. The new one has a few extra species (not loads), some new pics and updated taxonomy

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#38 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 11, 2008, 09:36:15 am
 :oops: I was confused by the change in title.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#39 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 15, 2008, 11:01:19 am
Nice pics Slack-line, and props for doing your ID before picking. Too many folk take the lazy option and pick everything and identify at home. Not only is this harder for ID, as you lose habitat context, its also bad for diversity. Some fields in The Peak have SSSI status partly based on the occurence of rare Waxcaps - try to resist the temptation to eat these!

Cheers JB, had a go at identifying most things before picking, those I wasn't sure of I only took one or two samples of to identify at home for future reference (but took pictures in-situ to further aid identification).

Found a couple of ceps in Chatsworth Gardens yesterday, mmm tasty.

Lots of Russula species out there too, most in better nick than the ones I found around Padley Gorge.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#40 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 15, 2008, 11:15:07 am
Nice Buns sir!

Anyone checked that Chanterelle patch in the Churnet yet?

Plattsy

• forum hero
#41 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 15, 2008, 11:50:35 am
What are my chances of finding ceps in Wharncliffe/Grenoside woods? (There are some Pine right.)

Are they as easy to identify as my research suggests?

Am I a dumb ass for thinking I can do this without a book?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 12:05:47 pm by Plattsy, Reason: Typo and not all the trees are Pine.... »

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#42 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 15, 2008, 12:01:10 pm
Most of the woods I've seen around Wharncliffe have been Oak, but it's a big wood with lots of different areas. Look out for areas of Beech and look along the edge of the wood. I'm sure there must be Ceps in there somewhere.
They are pretty easy to ID, esspecially if you use rogersmushrooms.com to help.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#43 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 15, 2008, 12:20:53 pm
Beech huh. Just found on the good old internet there is apparently a beech wood just off Woodhead Road with an open field on its right. Could be cep central. I'll report back.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#44 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 15, 2008, 01:51:13 pm
A quick heads-up, I was at Rivelin yesterday and the birch woods seemed well stocked with mushrooms.  I'm too ignorant to i.d. them but there was quite a variety: puffbally ones, fly-algaric looking fellas, yellow ones with concave caps etc.  Unfortunately some appeared to be rotting away but it might be worth a look if you are a passing enthusiast. 

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#45 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 15, 2008, 08:47:19 pm
Just watching something on BBC 2 about mushrooms - for the funghi finders amongst you it might be worth checking on the iplayer shizz if you missed it...

They're looking for British truffles in a "secret location" in the Peak District - don't know if any of you recognise it!

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#46 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 16, 2008, 08:27:23 am
In the peak?! Shit the bed, I've never heard of truffles in the peak. Can't believe I missed that!

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#47 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 16, 2008, 10:16:29 am
I was coming to tell you about the BBC2 programme but I'm late.  Looked like they found lots of good stuff.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#48 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 16, 2008, 10:17:24 am
I'll be friends for life with anyone who tells me where the spot was they found, but doesn't tell Bonjoy ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#49 Re: Mushrooms '08
September 16, 2008, 10:44:33 am
Do you have a trained pig at the ready?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal