UKBouldering.com

Denham Quarry (Read 11126 times)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Denham Quarry
July 12, 2008, 11:16:56 pm
Ah, esoterica at its best.  Home of one of Lancasire's hardest problems, plus mental motorcyclists and doggers.
New guide, again there has been little info so this is cobbled together from what little knowledge there is around.  Thanks mostly to Nik at work.
As usual, let me know if there are any changes needed- new problems, grade opinions etc etc.

Right click and Save As....
Denham Quarry Bouldering

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#1 Re: Denham Quarry
September 27, 2008, 01:08:02 pm
I've added the topo to the UKBouldering Vimeo Group's files page, which I hope will be a more permanent home.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#2 Re: Denham Quarry
February 06, 2009, 08:10:53 pm
Uploaded an updated version to the Vimeo Page, as above.

New video here too:

dave k

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: Denham Quarry Topo
September 27, 2011, 11:31:20 am
I am planning on visiting the quarry tomorrow PM. I saved the PDF, but could not access the topo. I tried on Vimeo, but as yet have not been able to access the PDF. Does anyone have a copy they could send me, or an explanation of how to access the PDF`s on vimeo.

Thanks

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#4 Re: Denham Quarry
September 27, 2011, 12:00:49 pm
Try this link, if it doesn't work PM me your e-mail address.

http://vimeo.com/groups/ukbouldering/file:2144

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#5 Re: Denham Quarry
September 27, 2011, 12:04:20 pm
I would mention that due to hold breakage SD is more like 7a+ nowadays.

Other vids:

dave k

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: Denham Quarry
September 27, 2011, 12:37:42 pm
Cheers that link worked

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#7 Re: Denham Quarry
September 27, 2011, 01:01:01 pm
Was up for a walk round denham the other week after a quick pint down the road. Notices that a peg was in that E5 6c, forgot the name, the really nice line up the slabby wall midway dwon the quarry, and a peg had been put in bull worker. I know the 5 had a peg in originally, but i never remember it in, so it must be years back and its had numerous ascents without... got to ask why its gone in. And bullworkers never had a peg in, and its in right next to total bomber gear?.. again no need? Anyone shed any light, gcw?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#8 Re: Denham Quarry
September 27, 2011, 01:05:11 pm
Do you mean Fujari?  Last time I was there at the start of the year it only had a crap old peg after all the hard climbing.

Didn't notice Bullworker though, sorry.  I can't see why new pegs are going in, if that's the case.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#9 Re: Denham Quarry
September 27, 2011, 01:15:14 pm
Fujari thats it. Yeah strange, the peg i saw looked pretty good, stuck in the little overlap, just as you hit the crux. Hmm, i can understand why one could go in Fujari, but bullworker is daft.  Yeh cant see why someone should start knocking pegs in.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#10 Re: Denham Quarry
November 23, 2011, 12:24:52 pm
Just been up to see the fire damage first hand.  Really disappointing.  More details on the Blog.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#11 Re: Denham Quarry
May 07, 2012, 02:06:30 pm
Checked out Denham for the first time. Nice place on a sunny evening. Birds singing and yoofs making a fire (away from the rock this time). Here's a vid, might be useful for beta.

Is this how you did it, Nik? 

nik at work

• forum hero
#12 Re: Denham Quarry
May 07, 2012, 06:21:36 pm
Pretty much. I think I kept my left in the undercut and went all the way to the finish with the right rather than bringing the left out. But it was probably 10+ years ago so who knows :shrug:
I remember hitting the undercut was hard, then getting up into it was even harder, then it was alright.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#13 Re: Denham Quarry
May 07, 2012, 07:14:56 pm
Snap Derision has certainly got a lot easier since holds broke.  Good effort for getting there though, nice venue!

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#14 Re: Denham Quarry
May 07, 2012, 08:04:07 pm
Pretty much. I think I kept my left in the undercut and went all the way to the finish with the right rather than bringing the left out. But it was probably 10+ years ago so who knows :shrug:
I remember hitting the undercut was hard, then getting up into it was even harder, then it was alright.

Thought I might have missed something as I felt pretty stretched, and I think I'm taller than you. Apparently not, I'm just inflexible!  :lol:

Anyway, good problem. I was expecting it to be rubbish because of the dull name!

Snap Derision has certainly got a lot easier since holds broke.  Good effort for getting there though, nice venue!

Yeah, shame about that. I think holding the drill hole higher is also slightly easier than the method you used, though maybe this wasn't possible before the break.

It is a nice venue - makes a change, bouldering in the sun. Slightly spoiled by the litter. Have there been attempts at a cleanup before? I imagine the chavs would soon undo any good work.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal