UKBouldering.com

Some like it hot (Read 106267 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#250 Re: Some like it hot
August 12, 2012, 03:57:13 pm
I've tried spraying and watering the plants with a dilute mix of washing up liquid for about a week now but it doesn't seem to be having any effect, time for something stronger perhaps?

I tried that several years in a row, never really worked and just ended up with shitty smeared windows.

Pyrethrin did work though (albeit not a wholly organic solution).

Paul B

• forum hero
#251 Re: Some like it hot
August 31, 2012, 05:57:57 pm
... yup that worked.

My 'generous' watering with washing up liquid doesn't seem to have been good for the Scotch Bonnet which now has about 2 leaves left!

However, it seems to be recovering and all of my Chilli's seem to be ripening. Should I just pick them and throw them in the freezer?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#252 Re: Some like it hot
August 31, 2012, 09:13:56 pm
To keep to eat, or for seed?

I'd go bonkers on chilli infused dishes for a few weeks.. If yr over stacked I could be so bold to say I would be delighted to have a few off u ;) very cheeky.. Sorry.

Paul B

• forum hero
#253 Re: Some like it hot
August 31, 2012, 09:32:49 pm
To eat...

I just remembered GCW talking of a freezer disaster so presumed he kept his this way?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#254 Re: Some like it hot
August 31, 2012, 10:11:55 pm
Glad the pyrethrin did the trick.

You can eat them and collect the seeds for next year too (inbreeding shouldn't be too big an issue after one generation) as the
heat doesn't come from the seeds but from the pith that holds the seeds to the flesh of the fruit.

When I had a glut of habanerros  I made a sauce (recipe is further back in this thread, but basically blend whatever you want, simmer for a few hours and then put in sterilised containers).

I went round the market out here in Peru the other week and purchased three different varieties of chillis from which I have extracted the seeds (cheaper and better than crappy trinket souveniers  :2thumbsup: )

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#255 Re: Some like it hot
September 01, 2012, 10:05:54 am
I kept some of the fleshier chillies in the freezer as they never dried well for me, and it was easy to add to sauces/ blend.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#256 Re: Some like it hot
December 27, 2013, 07:56:45 am
New claim for worlds hottest chilli

Friend managed to grow some Naga chillis this year, yet to try them though.

Never got round to germinating the Peruvian chilli seeds I collected, I think I'll start them mid-January.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#257 Re: Some like it hot
February 10, 2014, 06:24:30 pm
Quick questions about cooking with chillies:

1. I tend to start cooking them first in pan-based foods, to temper the heat a bit and start flavouring the oil / entire dish. How much cooking does it take to significantly reduce the heat?

2. Are there any obvious ingredients that will negate the heat? I've had someone tell me that some fatty foods do, but I haven't had consistent results.

3. Are brown seeds a sign the chilli is going off, and/or will lose it's heat?

4. Are supermarket Scotch Bonnets the real deal, as they don't seem as hot as I feared?

Ta,
Fiend x
(chilli noob, chilling out below 100,000 Scoville and happy with that, thanks)

fried

• forum hero
#258 Re: Some like it hot
February 10, 2014, 06:54:27 pm
1. I dont think cooking reduces the heat as much as dissipates it, remember chillis also have a flavour. Even in the same batch of chillis the heat can vary. You just need to practice, but it's always an approximation. Ive been cooking spicy food for 20 years and I still get nervous cooking for guests 'cos there's so much variance. Taste your chillis beforehand and get an idea of how this effects the final result.

2. No. some say yogurt but theyre fibbing.

3. After freezing?

4.Dunno. But theyre pretty variable in strength

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#259 Re: Some like it hot
February 10, 2014, 07:01:18 pm
3. No - just whenever I buy fresh ones, maybe 1 in 6 has brownish seeds?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#260 Re: Some like it hot
February 20, 2014, 03:02:44 pm
2. Are there any obvious ingredients that will negate the heat? I've had someone tell me that some fatty foods do, but I haven't had consistent results.

Citrus juice added whilst cooking can help temper the heat.

4. Are supermarket Scotch Bonnets the real deal, as they don't seem as hot as I feared?

There are a huge number of factors that affect the heat of chilli's, not just the variety name but the underlying genetics.  Genetics are the important thing though, but once thats done growing conditions can make a huge difference.  If they're picked when they're well watered it reduces the heat due to the water content, letting them dry a bit (but not completely desiccating them to dried flakes) helps increase the strength/heat of freshly picked chillis.

If you fancy a hot curry I tried this last year, despite the warnings to the contrary I added half of the bag of chillis to the dish (if I remember correctly it says a teaspoon or two until accustomed).  I'm fairly used to chilli's and have had various Naga/Bhut Jolokia/Moruga's/Red Savina's etc. in my time, but this was fucking hot

Insides weren't too happy either, but thankfully no "second wind" when it exited the body (how I've no idea).

Currently I'm enjoying livening my food up with Falmin Peppercorns which have been soaked then dried in Naga Chilli Oil, very nice it is too.

Planted out the following seeds yesterday, hopefully I'll get decent germination rates...

8 x Yellow Seven Pot/Pod

8 x Yellow Moruga

8 x Seeds taken from orange chilli's picked up in Peru in 2012

8 x Seeds taken from red chilli's picked up in Peru in 2012

4 x Bhut Jolokia

4 x Red savina (a hot habanero)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#261 Re: Some like it hot
February 20, 2014, 08:54:29 pm
Ta. I think they had fairly plump flesh which might be a sign of being well watered?? Also I probably did put some lemon juice in at some point. Useful knowledge.

Anyway will keep trying....

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#262 Re: Some like it hot
March 19, 2014, 09:56:56 pm
Okay I think I might have got a duff batch of Scotch Bonnets before. I got another pack from the supermarket and they were smaller and redder. Used two in a creamy curry the other night and it was fucking hot (and delicious). Used two bigger ones in tangy tomato curry tonight and it's taken me half and hour to eat the first 10 mouthfuls.....without chewing. Well done Fiend ::)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#263 Re: Some like it hot
March 19, 2014, 11:24:52 pm

fried

• forum hero
#264 Re: Some like it hot
March 20, 2014, 07:22:48 am
http://caribbeanpot.com/the-ultimate-curry-goat-recipe/

This is a good use of scotch bonnets. I'd go with 2 chillis instead of the half stated. I think the first ones you bought were what we  call 'red peppers' in the trade. ;)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#265 Re: Some like it hot
March 20, 2014, 09:53:09 am
I'd have noticed that....I hate bell peppers!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#266 Re: Some like it hot
March 20, 2014, 10:42:10 am
I'd have noticed that....I hate bell peppers!

They're all Capsicums though, its just the amount of capsaicin that they contain varys (considerably!).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#267 Re: Some like it hot
May 06, 2014, 07:39:56 am
Purchased myself half a kilo of dried Naga Bhut Jolokia chilli's the other day for making into flakes and for use in sauces....

The smell is fantastic.  A great saving over buying them as 25g batches, and even better value for money than the £1.50 for 3 a chilli stall on Fargate were selling them for in Sheffield over the weekend.

seankenny

• forum hero
#268 Re: Some like it hot
May 07, 2014, 11:39:47 am

Coconut milk will do the trick. Rice also tempers heat- the very hot cuisines of Sri Lanka, South India, Thailand and Aceh are all predominantly rice-based (unlike those softies up in northern India).

Incidentally, has anyone ever had deep fried chillies? I think you get them in packets in Tamil shops, they are pre-prepared with some kind of yoghurt. Deep fry them and eat them alongside your rice and curry, like a poppadom. Delicious!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#269 Re: Some like it hot
May 07, 2014, 11:53:46 am

Incidentally, has anyone ever had deep fried chillies? I think you get them in packets in Tamil shops, they are pre-prepared with some kind of yoghurt. Deep fry them and eat them alongside your rice and curry, like a poppadom. Delicious!

Yes, they're served in that style as a pakora (basically anything thats bite-size and been deep fried), they seemed to me to be coated in a light batter of some description.  Had them at both Butlers Balti House on Broad Lane and Downtown India - Akbars on West Street.  Really tasty.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#270 Re: Some like it hot
March 06, 2015, 07:37:59 pm
Making a hot curry for one tonight with Naga Viper (~1400000 SHU) question is one chilli or two?  Erring on one to start with, can always try two at a later date.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#271 Re: Some like it hot
March 06, 2015, 07:42:56 pm
Holy bleeding rectum batman

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#272 Re: Some like it hot
March 06, 2015, 08:48:59 pm
One chilli made for a lot of heat, but not unbearable.  Four left, might throw them all in next time.  :devil-smiley:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#273 Re: Some like it hot
September 05, 2016, 03:31:59 pm

andy_e

• forum hero
#274 Re: Some like it hot
September 08, 2016, 10:13:11 am
Anyone got any good recipes for chilli jam? I have a surplus of basket of fire chillis to use up...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal