UKBouldering.com

The most enjoyable Font trip ever (Read 12105 times)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
The most enjoyable Font trip ever
June 04, 2008, 09:44:29 pm
I am off to font for a week at the end of June. I want to get the most fun out what I can eat/drink/climb (no sex - I am very well sorted in that field). I hereby ask for all your recommendations. I am interested in everything from a favourite circuit to a best boulangerie to an interesting market stall to a supermarket bargin or even a best place to poo in the woods!

is pooing going too far?

Any way...

climbing-wise  I have done a few 7b problems and am well pleased if I on-sight 6a in the forest. I supose I am after yellow to blue and maybe red circuits and want to include the red at gorge aux chats (already done, but need to do again).

Eating-wise, I'll eat owt that tastes good. The Frenchier the better as far as I'm concerned.

drink-wise, I need to enjoy it and be able to drive and climb the next day.

I will have the yellow monster with me and will be able to take advantage of after-dark conditions.

You are all invited to join me at any point in the execusion of this plan.

I thank you in advance for your help

Lagers

« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 10:02:10 pm by lagerstarfish »

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1 Re: The most enjoyable Font trip ever
June 04, 2008, 10:05:56 pm
As stated before, Malesherbes Wednesday morning ie: before 10/11 AM is wicked.  I was whacked by the quality of the produce.  The cheese stalls were crackers, as was the fish.

And visit Buthiers and do Big Lady Clique-Clack (7-ish) open-handed fridge hugging, spicy.  Top landing.

Pooing is recommended daily, AM ablutions preferable.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#2 Re: The most enjoyable Font trip ever
June 05, 2008, 08:52:19 am
I am off to font for a week at the end of June.

La la la not listening la la la. Bastard.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#3 Re: The most enjoyable Font trip ever
June 05, 2008, 09:12:45 am
from the main square (the one with the rounded joust and the bikers) walk down roue de la paroisse and take one of the small paved alleys on the right, sorry can't remember which one, where cars can't go. at the end of one of these there's a small small creperie, you basically eat in this old couple's house.
tres bon, i hope it's still there, it's been a while.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: The most enjoyable Font trip ever
June 05, 2008, 09:41:52 am
Can highly recommend the Gavotine crêperie by the crossroads just outside of the old town part of Moret-sur-Loing.  Its marked as number 1 on .

A view from the mezzanine where we sat...

If you've not been there before, Moret-sur-Loing is a lovely little town, walk through the old part and over the river, turn around and you'll see The Old House on the River (no linking to that pic  :( ).  Its a really nice old monastry/fortified town.  Not sure what day markets are on I'm afraid.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: The most enjoyable Font trip ever
June 05, 2008, 09:48:08 am
Go and check out the Cyclops, near Milly, it's pretty cool.

Nicest spot we went to on the last trip, that I haven't been to before, was Bois Rond. Lovely spot, quiet, nice probs and not too high.

I also recommend getting one of those string hammocks that roll up into a small ball. Nothing nice for chilling out in during the midday heat.

nik at work

• forum hero
#6 Re: The most enjoyable Font trip ever
June 05, 2008, 10:59:46 am
We always go to Chez Guy, the pizza place that is on the same road as the cinema in Font.
It's pizza so not haute cuisine or 'owt but Guy is tres entertaining and has a propensity for slapping peoples heads (especially if the're bald). And that's always entertaining isn't it?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#7 Re: The most enjoyable Font trip ever
June 05, 2008, 11:35:08 am
Go there lagers.

SA Chris

• forum hero

dave

#9 Re: The most enjoyable Font trip ever
June 05, 2008, 11:48:23 am
The Dame Jouanne Restaurant is fantastic, its at Dame Jouanne funnily enough.

Also, if you know where Champion and the Etap are in font, walk back towards the town centre and after a few minutes on your left is a shady looking Turkish kebab place - this is really good for a cheap quick eat. really nice lamb kebabs etc, much better that your standard british shit.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#10 Re: The most enjoyable Font trip ever
June 05, 2008, 01:06:35 pm
Pfft!     Kebabs!

Get on the naughty step the now, Dave!  You can get kebabs in any country, why not enjoy the things that are hard to find in Blighty?

Listen to Slackers:  Moret sur Loing is divine as is Montigny (sp?).  The riverside spots around here are great (especially for alfresco action) ;)

dave

#11 Re: The most enjoyable Font trip ever
June 05, 2008, 01:19:21 pm
Pfft!     Kebabs!

Get on the naughty step the now, Dave!  You can get kebabs in any country, why not enjoy the things that are hard to find in Blighty?

whatever. you've clearly not been to the place in question. thus your opinion of my suggestion is irrelevent.

nik at work

• forum hero
#12 Re: The most enjoyable Font trip ever
June 05, 2008, 02:08:13 pm
Not wanting to piss on your chips Houd but there are villages in blighty and rivers, some of which you can probably have al fresco sex besides (or a picnic if thats your bag).

Or maybe you are suggesting that the villages and rivers you propose are in some way better than the ones in blighty.

Which I suppose was Daves point also....

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#13 Re: The most enjoyable Font trip ever
June 05, 2008, 02:14:40 pm
If you take a full rest day and have a car go to Chablis for the day, for the obvious reason.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#14 Re: The most enjoyable Font trip ever
June 05, 2008, 02:32:37 pm
Wibble

Fuck kebabs.

I haven't been ass-raped down the Old Kent Rd for 15 quid either and I'm not keen to try.

Duma

• forum hero
#15 Re: The most enjoyable Font trip ever
June 05, 2008, 07:31:31 pm
Blue circuits are my favourite. The ones at Rocher de la Reine, and the one at Drei Zinnen are good. The ultimate circuit is the black at Cusineire, sadly Duel in june may be too much to ask.
I had the best steak I've ever eaten at a little resturant in Barbizon, can't remember the name but it had lots of weird stuffed animals on the walls.
I dig SA Chris' idea of the hammock, sounds great.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#16 Re: The most enjoyable Font trip ever
June 05, 2008, 11:53:29 pm
I have a hammock and bits of old rope to fix it to suitable trees - can't wait

I'm liking the recommendations so far, people  :thumbsup:

I am interested in the idea of videoing myself having my bald head slapped by Guy

Chablis - YES!  I did visit Font once with a lady friend with a liking for champagne - we flew to Reims on a dirt cheap Ryan Air flight and combined bouldering with champagne tasting and a few other activities - it worked for me.

Why has Stef not piped up to tell me of a b&b within walking distance of Elephant?  ;) only joking Stef

Jasper, you know that all you will be missing is climbing in less than perfect conditions and listening to me gush on about the many different styles of lampposts in the Fontainebleau area

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#17 Re: The most enjoyable Font trip ever
June 06, 2008, 06:58:51 am
This thread is dynamite. Was going to post something very like this as will possible be doing something similar this summer with little'un and missus in tow.
To add, Dame Joanne is not as good as it used to be, not last couple of times I've been anyway. The pizza takeaway in moret is also good, although the fat bloke that used to make them wasn't there last time we went but the pizza's were just as good. Au Bureau in font (or le pub as we call it) is very good for beers and food in the evening

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#18 Re: The most enjoyable Font trip ever
June 06, 2008, 08:14:37 am
summer with little'un

I took my little'un to the parc animalier at Souppes Sur Loing on a rainy day this summer - good fun for smaller kids - loads of interesting animals with a fine selection of domestic animals wandering around for the kids to chase pet. Was alsmost empty on a drizzly August day. They do pony rides in the afternoon.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#19 Re: The most enjoyable Font trip ever
June 06, 2008, 08:28:40 am
I dig SA Chris' idea of the hammock, sounds great.
I got mine is SA ages ago, but they must be available everywhere, Decathlon, etc.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#20 Re: The most enjoyable Font trip ever
June 06, 2008, 08:33:17 am
lagers - whatever you say I just read it like.........

Jasper, you know that all you will be missing is climbing in less than perfect conditions and listening to me gush on about the many different styles of lampposts in the Fontainebleau area

;)

I took my little'un to the parc animalier at Souppes Sur Loing on a rainy day this summer

:o
Have you discovered time travel because if so then I might be able to come with you? I could do the week in Font and then go back and do the week at work that I can't take off.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#21 Re: The most enjoyable Font trip ever
June 06, 2008, 05:41:14 pm
Have you discovered time travel

No, I am living in the past.

I am going to take my fly rod with me this time. Last time I fished Le Grand Canal du Palais (the really big bit of water down in front of the palace grounds) the baliff was telling me that fly fishing can be good fun there as there is plenty of space to cast.
I was catching bream and carp on bread, but the some guys caught perch, trout and zander on worm and live fish - the general ethic seems to be to eat what you catch exept for carp - I don't fancy eating bream or tench either - supposed to be pike there as well. I remember it being pretty cheap (10 euros for the week I think?).
At least when I'm mixed in with the anglers, I look relatively slim.

i.munro

• junky
#22 Re: The most enjoyable Font trip ever
June 06, 2008, 05:59:35 pm
Apparently the patisserie/salon de the on the pedestrianised st that runs parallel to the main rd (sorry can't remember the name) wins awards. There's a take-away only branch on the way from the Chateau to the station.

I really like the food in the bar Franklin Roosevelt. Having a taste for the bits of animals that the English throw away helps though.

If you've got a day Provins (2- hours ish) is the most spectacularly well preserved walled town (if a bit touristy. I enjoyed the jousting there but I'm just a big kid.

On a hot day the outdoor pool by the station is Brilliant. We found that if you go around lunch(12-3.0 ??)
you get the place to yourself.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#23 Re: The most enjoyable Font trip ever
June 06, 2008, 06:06:36 pm
Apparently the patisserie/salon de the on the pedestrianised st that runs parallel to the main rd (sorry can't remember the name) wins awards. There's a take-away only branch on the way from the Chateau to the station.

The Betty's of Font? Good enough beta for me to find it

I really like the food in the bar Franklin Roosevelt.

I enjoyed their food about 10 years ago - awesome beef burgers

We found that if you go around lunch(12-3.0 ??) you get the place to yourself.

:lol:

i.munro

• junky
#24 Re: The most enjoyable Font trip ever
June 06, 2008, 06:14:13 pm
Oh, rose-water coffee & oriental patisseries in the Caravanserai bar in the pedestrianised bit & for a bonkers experience the wine shop opposite does food (prepared at the till) along with wine by the glass. I had no idea what was happening but the amuse-bouches & wine were both brilliant .

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal