UKBouldering.com

for people who arnt good with their satnav! (Read 20735 times)

philo

• forum hero
apart from telling people to google things,
can we have small explinations on how to do things, basic things.

when i downloaded the POI's and put them on my satnav i was unsure which folder each part of the file went into.
i know there is a brief explanation in the POI FAQ but its still a little vague for useless people like me
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 12:41:21 am by philo »

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Well, the problem is that different SatNavs from different manufacturers differ in where they store and organise things.  You've not told us what make/model you have, so its a little tricky to give advice on where you stick the files.  We'd need someone with one of every possible one on the market to check out where things go to write a comprehensive HowTo.

Some advice though....

Connect your SatNav to the computer, then have a browse round the directories that exist and find where the existing POI's and files (which will carry the same file extensions as Jim's bouldering POI's) are currently located.  Stick the bouldering POI's in there.

Note also that its highly unlikely to actually damage the SatNav by placing them in the wrong place, all you'll find is that you can't use the POI's if you put them in the wrong place.  Don't be afraid to play around and experiment.

If in doubt  :rtfm: for the SatNav you have, it will (well it should) tell you where to place them.  If it doesn't see if you can find a forum for the SatNav you have and ask (whilst specifying the make and model of your SatNav, naturally) where they should be placed (or provide the same information here).

slack

Jim

• forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
Having breifly re-read the faq's, they are as simple as they can be TBH. They could probably do with updating (ie map versions).
If you want specific help then I am more than happy to give it to you (or anyone else) but you will have to post up with what type of sat nav system you are using

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
Jim i did end up getting the new nokia N95. Is it possible to stick tomtom on it and ditch the shit it has pre installed, i need to know before i mess around with it

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Neil, i've tried both Garmin Mobile XT and Tomtom Navigator 6 on my N95. I wouldn't bother with Nokia maps at all.

Tomtom needs some workarounds in order to get it to use the N95s internal gps, whereas Garmin works out of the box. Apparantly the next version of Tomtom should fix this problem.

I think i'm leaning towards Tomtom over Garmin as the interface is nicer, and route calculation is faster, though Garmin does some advantages of it's own.

If you want to evaluate before you buy, or just be a dirty feef, both are available for free online.

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
cheers budda, one problem i may have is that i am now on a french contract, I have set the phone up in english but cant seem to get the satnav to work in english, can you see any problems here if i stick a new system on it

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

No, it shouldn't matter - the gps reciever works independently to your mobile service......well it can do anyway.... On my N95, the gps was set to "assisted gps" as standard. This means that the gps reciever also uses the mobile network to establish your initial postion, thus incurring data charges. If you set the "assisted" off then the gps receiver just works on it's own. It takes longer to get the intial signal (usually about 5 minutes) but it's completely free.

So if you install a new satnav program and turn off a-gps then the whole thing works outside of your network/contract.

I wouldn't even fire up the "nokia maps" app - when i did this I got a whole load of data charges as it tried to download the maps to the phone!

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
cheers for the info, Lets see if i can do it without messing it up

Jim

• forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
Just trying out sygic or McGuider as its now known on the wifes N82. Its supposed to be much better than garmin and also works with the internal gps.
Looks pretty good

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

There's a version of tomtom that has been cracked to work with the nokia internal gps. It's what i'm using now.

Jim

• forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
Yeah but you have to set it up everytime you use it and it kept crashing the phone so I've ditched it

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Aye, that is a slight pain, but I think it's better than the garmin. Not crashed for me yet. I think everyone is eagerly awaiting tomtom v7 which apparantly is going to work with internal gps.

What's your verdict on the Sygic compared to Tomtom?

Jim

• forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
Not used it yet properly, looks ok tho.
I don't recon tomtom v7 will ever be released for pda's, smartphones etc... too much piracy, opinion is they will just stick to hardware based products only

account_inactive

• forum hero
Just put these on my Garmin Nuvi.  All you need to do is convert the files (with the software that Jim mentioned) and the get the Garmin Poi software here:
http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/

Plug in with a USB cable and bobs your uncle

Thanks Jim  :great:

Dr T

• forum hero
Just been playing with my new Garmin
Tried the software Jim recommended much earlier on another thread but no joy - cue  :wall:
Seems to now be a POI manager not a convertor  >:(

Happily a quick  :google: lead me to this page
I just converted and saved each file then the poi uploader Dylan was talking about in the previous post did the rest  ;D

On a side note as a new Garmin user it did take me a while to find the damned things on the device as they're not in POI but in EXTRAS  :shrug:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Clearly they're Extra POIs  :P

Dr T

• forum hero

ben

• obsessive maniac
has anyone had any joy converting the bouldering POI's (or any TomTom format .ov2 POI's) into the Sygic GPS format (.rupi) ?

I've bought Sygic for my Android and wanted to stick the Font POI's on there before Easter.  I ran the font ov2 file through this convertor:
http://tomtom.gps-data-team.com/poi/ov2-to-csv.php
which gave me a comma seperated file.

I then run this through the Sygic convertor:
http://www.sygic.com/en/poi

but don't get a .rupi file out..

Anyone been down this route?

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Haven't used rupi but there's quite a bit of info here http://www.poi-factory.com/node/34103

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal