UKBouldering.com

Miserable people (Read 11051 times)

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Miserable people
April 17, 2008, 10:42:38 pm
Paid a trip to the Bowderstone this afternoon. All was nice and apart from getting my arse kicked by the mighty stone, I had no complaints. There was a fair few families with young kids about, but being a young (ish) dad myself I wasn't bothered. Anyhows, a dreadlocked chap turns up with full bouldering equipment and I bid him hello. I kinda got a grunt back, like I had insulted him by talking. He propmtly gets stretched out and does a few warm ups like the Crack etc. He then jumps on Picnic, and as he gets close to the top I gave a little friendly encouragement i.e "Go on, nice, etc etc" nothing out of the norm. He then scowls under his breath, packs up his stuff and buggers off after being there for 10 minutes.

Is there really any need to be so miserable? It was a beautiful day, ok there was a few kids running about but, friction was good and the conditions were on the whole great. It was the first time I've been out in months and it was slightly spoiled by a miserable git, only slightly mind.

Rant over.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#1 Re: Miserable people
April 17, 2008, 10:48:37 pm
Stop being so soft.

When I turn up at the crag and I find some punters there, I like to belch and fart simultaneously.  Then I wait for them to fail on something, and casually wander over and piss up it in good style, usually downclimbing it afterwards.
Then I sit behind them watching their efforts, tutting loudly with each move.

When I'm ready to leave, I sneer at them saying "see ya later, bumbly scum".

Golt lad, you should count yourself lucky.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#2 Re: Miserable people
April 17, 2008, 10:54:26 pm
Stop being so soft.

When I turn up at the crag and I find some punters there....

Watch who you calling punter fool!!  ;)

Seriously though, this guy had a Mc.Cain home fry on his shoulder of the highest calibre, knob.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#3 Re: Miserable people
April 17, 2008, 10:56:10 pm
I would smile to myself and keep irritating the bastard.
"Oooh, mate- you nearly had it that time".
Then wander over and show him who's the Daddy.

Dreadlocks?  So 90s.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#4 Re: Miserable people
April 17, 2008, 11:01:50 pm
He packed up and fucked off so quickly, I didn't have time to mock him!

Before he tried, and failed, on Picnic a young lad and his dad stopped to watch him. He knew they were watching so just sat down until they walked away. Its never easy when people are watching but he made it pretty obvious they had pissed him off by simply wanting to watch.

With a freshly shaved head making me look like an extra from Romper Stomper and a few beers on board, I'd quite like to remove this mans dreadlocks with force at the present moment.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#5 Re: Miserable people
April 17, 2008, 11:47:07 pm
i doubt that kind of guys are really happy even after doing their project

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#6 Re: Miserable people
April 17, 2008, 11:52:33 pm
there's this young guy at the gym recently, must be 17, and he's strong, but yesterday as i was warming up fondling some holds on a problem i flashed months ago, he told me loudly "that foothold is off". i wanted to be rude, but just said "don't worry, i'm just playing". i wasn't happy to discover we have another hyper conscious strong punter in the gym.

Paz

• junky
#7 Re: Miserable people
April 18, 2008, 12:20:52 am
He sounds more odd than miserable.  You don't know what was going on with him.  If anyone was psyched for a problem then found the crag covered in kids you might be lost for words.  Saying nowt, well there's just people like that out there who just say fuck all and if they take off in a strop then fuck 'em.  I lament the fact that climbing attracts its fair share of weirdos, but I think it can be cliquey enough as it is, before we do something about it like having a mate vouch for you before you're allowed a bouldering license.  I'm sorry I don't have a point, but you've as good as identified him to those who know him I expect, and it's just the way it is.

Or maybe it was just his first trip to the Bowderstone and he was dissappointed ;-).

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#8 Re: Miserable people
April 18, 2008, 12:36:49 am
So people are just jerks.

A guy I know was in Font and was headed over to Salle Gosse which he used to do as part of his warm up (he was a strong fellow). As he approached he saw another guy on it, flailing wildy and cursing loudly.  This guy was shirtless, very ripped and very aggro. Feverishly brushing the mono and whacking everything with his rag. My mate went and asked if he could jump on, to which the other guy (a Brit) said "Yeah, but don't get the fuckin' holds dirty". What a charmer.

Needless to say, my mate bounced up the problem and was off to other things leaving this guy muttering under his breath something about "cunts"  ::)

webbo

• forum hero
#9 Re: Miserable people
April 18, 2008, 08:42:08 am
i'm a miserable git,however i will talk to you if i see you at the crag but you'll wish i hadn't. :wall:

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#10 Re: Miserable people
April 18, 2008, 11:00:43 am
Maybe he was just shy Golt  ....

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#11 Re: Miserable people
April 18, 2008, 11:12:17 am
Fuck, you get them everywhere. People who think they they are just too cool to communicate. Quite sad, seems like a deeply inset delusion of grandeur.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#12 Re: Miserable people
April 18, 2008, 11:23:00 am
Or his wife/kids/dog might just have died. Give the guy a break, this thread could push him to seek out the roof of a BR building.

richdraws

• obsessive maniac
#13 Re: Miserable people
April 18, 2008, 11:39:36 am
The only place I have ever met miserable gits (that I can remember) is at the Bowderstone. People not replying to a simple hello etc. Despite the reputation for cliqueyness; since moving to the peak I've found local climbers easy going and quick to offer beta or problem recommendations.

... pull his dreads off Golt!

Doylo

• forum hero
#14 Re: Miserable people
April 18, 2008, 11:43:36 am
Or his wife/kids/dog might just have died.

so he went to the bowderstone...........

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#15 Re: Miserable people
April 18, 2008, 11:53:31 am
The family died falling off the Bowderstone, they didn't realise there was a ladder up it.
He just went to pay his respects and found some boy racer tearing up the problems.
He had every right to be grumpy.

I've always found people at the Stone fairly friendly.  Maybe 'cos they burned me off  ;)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#16 Re: Miserable people
April 18, 2008, 11:55:26 am

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#17 Re: Miserable people
April 18, 2008, 12:03:36 pm
Or his wife/kids/dog might just have died.

so he went to the bowderstone...........

........as you do.

There's no excuse for being a miserable get unless I suppose you are just really really shy. Was talking to someone recently about a well known strong bloke who he's seen many times at various crags / walls and who has basically blanked him every time. The worst example being when there were only the two of them at a really small training venue and despite my mate's attempts at conversation they ended up climbing in total silence. We put it down to the fact that either the guy is just a miserable cunt or he's terminally shy. As I don't know him I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt and say it's the latter but I'm sure I'll find out for myself sooner or later.

I personally don't like having encouragement shouted at me when I'm climbing but that's not an excuse to be a cunt.

:)

Are you blanking GCW slackers?

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#18 Re: Miserable people
April 18, 2008, 12:05:43 pm
Despite the reputation for cliqueyness; since moving to the peak I've found local climbers easy going and quick to offer beta or problem recommendations

I have found this too.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#19 Re: Miserable people
April 18, 2008, 12:20:57 pm
There's no excuse for being a miserable get unless I suppose you are just really really shy. 

This is the central tenet of Dense's justification.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#20 Re: Miserable people
April 18, 2008, 12:26:38 pm
Are you blanking GCW slackers?

Its my poor attempt at humor after reading Golts original post.

I'm always up for a bit of banter at the crag, but some people are just quiet/seeking quiet (quite why this guy went to the Bowderstone if he wanted peace and quiet  :shrug:).

Plattsy

• forum hero
#21 Re: Miserable people
April 18, 2008, 12:54:01 pm
As a relative newb to climbing I've found most people to be friendly and helpful everywhere I've climbed. Sounds to me like this guy was having one heck of a bad day. If I was you and you saw him again I'd be tempted to start up a conversation, mentioning you'd met before highlighting where and when. His reaction will give away whether he is truely a miserable get or was just having a bad day.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#22 Re: Miserable people
April 18, 2008, 01:00:07 pm
It's easy to get the wrong impression about someone from one or two bad experiences. We had a hold on our board called "Malc Taylor - Unsociable Shite" after he blanked me and Smythe at the Tor. Other people said he was a decent bloke. We left the hold up anyway as we found it amusing.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#23 Re: Miserable people
April 18, 2008, 01:01:34 pm
I generally say Hi to people when I turn up/ they turn up.  A lot of the time I see what level they climb at then ask them if they've done X,Y,Z problems.  If they blank me, I leave them be and don't sweat it.  There's times I want peace at the crag, but I generally go somewhere quiet on those times.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#24 Re: Miserable people
April 18, 2008, 01:02:24 pm
Jas, have you named all your holds?  How on Earth do you remember all the names?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal