UKBouldering.com

Anyone read any good comics recently? (Read 61045 times)

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters

it is very good - and available as a TBP which makes life cheaper

What is a TBP? I am assuming that it is another name for a graphic novel or a collection of some description.

bluebrad

Dr T

• forum hero

What is a TPB? I am assuming that it is another name for a graphic novel or a collection of some description.

bluebrad

TBP - Trade Paper Back - (can't type very well)

collection of single issues in one book (usually a multiple of 4 - 4,8 or 16 issues) - difference from a graphic novel is that a graphic novel was never split up into individual issues...

of interest perhaps the first 8 issues of fell are available as trade paper back

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
Just tracked down some Alan Moore goodness:

Watchmen

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qKebCtCTbCA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qKebCtCTbCA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/youtube]

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qtDphCDULeQ&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qtDphCDULeQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Culture Show interview
[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/opAcRSvxbB8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/opAcRSvxbB8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/youtube]

There's another five parts of the above interview on You Tube, worth watching, especially part 4, where he show's the mammoth script books he gives to the artist, and mentions Patrick Moore is his uncle?

I'm off down the shops to buy From Hell!

Oops forgot this aswell, more good stuff:
http://watchmencomicmovie.com/alan-moore-interviews-02.php

Real.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
http://garfieldminusgarfield.tumblr.com/

Who would have guessed that when you remove Garfield from the Garfield comic strips, the result is an even better comic about schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and the empty desperation of modern life? Friends, meet Jon Arbuckle. Let’s laugh and learn with him on a journey deep into the tortured mind of an isolated young everyman as he fights a losing battle against loneliness in a quiet American suburb.

There's loads and they're all great!

andy_e

• forum hero
Anybody a fan of Stan Sakai's Usagi Yojimbo series? Great stuff!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Those Garfield strips are brilliant.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
Anybody a fan of Stan Sakai's Usagi Yojimbo series? Great stuff!

It is on my list to check out but that is as far as it has got so far.

bluebrad

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
New trailer for the Watchmen film here:

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/watchmen/trailer

V.hopeful for this, looks really good, shame about the duff EMO soundtrack. I hear the comic within a comic 'Tales of the Black Freighter' will be made into a separate animated film to be released on DVD, and maybe edited into the DVD release of the actual film.  :thumbsup:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Was in Outside in Hathersage Saturday morning whilst the showers were passing and picked up a copy of November.

Really enjoyed reading it.  The layout and mixture of photos and cartoons worked really well, the story was amusing and very well executed.

Thanks to Bonjoy and cohorts for an enjoyable read.  Are there any plans for future stories?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
An all time classic. Would love to see more. I am actually jealous of you for getting to read it for the first time.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#35 Re: Anyone read any good comics recently?
October 29, 2008, 03:00:55 pm
Read "Maus" recently, something I have been meaning to do for a while.

About the Holocaust, quite moving

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#36 Re: Anyone read any good comics recently?
October 29, 2008, 06:32:15 pm
Not exactly being gifted the time to read Proust at present, I made a point of picking up the graphic novel of Remembrance of Things Past yesterday. So far so good (until time for the real thing is made).

Check it here   

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
For Valentine's Day Mrs Starfish bought me 5 weeks worth of 2000ad comics - the five weeks leading up to 14th Feb - how special am I?

VERY FUCKING SPECIAL.

My big treat was sitting in the Sheaf drinking beer and reading all 5 comics at once. Ace!

Anyway, this prompted me to treat myself to the first of the Books Of Invasion, "Moloch". I love reading Slaine stories. Anyone not familiar with Slaine needs to sort their life out.

I know that the Slaine novels are available as torrents, but even I appreciate the paper versions. I've been taking Moloch in to team meetings and searching for relevant quotes to amuse my work colleagues. Admitedly I am the only one who is amused by all this, but it's worth it.
I have now taken to making up pseudo-Slaine quotes as a way of making writing up my client notes more interesting.  "Mr xyxyxy has been drinking heavily for the last 20 years. Recently he has been trying to cut down. Yesterday he only drank 4 litres of strong cider (7.5%) between 8am and 10pm. He did not consider it too many."

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
For Valentine's Day Mrs Starfish bought me 5 weeks worth of 2000ad comics - the five weeks leading up to 14th Feb - how special am I?

Mrs Starfish should be applauded - I lapsed from reading 2000AD about 2 1/2 years ago after about 14-15 years of continuous reading!

However your reading should take in a lot of the earlier Slaine - "The Books of Invasion" is a bit rubbish IMO - it steadily got more flabby and less cohesive as it got older IMO and the BOI was just another step down the slippery slope that it was taking. The best stuff to look for would be the early stuff in monochrome where he has proper full on warp spasms and work from there.

The Horned God series is well worth looking at for the immense scale that the whole artwork takes in with everything (especially the battle scenes if my jaded old memory is anything to go by) and also for historical purposes just because it with the Horned God artwork that Simon Bisley changed the way that comics characters were drawn for the next decade (not necessarily for the better I hasten to add).

Also check out Nemesis the Warlock Pt. 1, Pt. 2 and Pt. 3 (are you already aware of this already as I seem to remember you having a Torquemada sig ages ago??) which is truly great and will also provide a whole slew of quotable things no doubt.

Lastly I can not recommend highly enough from the 2000AD stable America which is up there with some of the best Dredd ever written (even though he plays a very minor part in the story arc and also early ABC Warriors which interlinks with Nemesis (in a way I can't seem to figure out at the minute but it seems to start about here) .

There is also some later stuff that I thought was truly great though recalling the name is beyond me as me and a half bottle of wine have been taking a trip down memory lane here...

bluebrad

SA Chris

• forum hero
2000 AD classics - I bought every episode from 1980 to 19382 get not

DR and Quinch - buy it, read it.

Strontium Dog

Rogue Trooper

Halo Jones

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters

DR and Quinch - buy it, read it.

Strontium Dog

Never really got DR and Quinch - suspect that it would have been better had I read it at the time rather than 10-15 years later.

I nearly put a caveat re: Strontium Dog on my last post but didn't bother - I will willingly admit to be in a vast majority here but I have to say that SD was unadulterated bollocks and was a waste of news print!

bluebrad

SA Chris

• forum hero
majority? Minority. That's fighting talk btw.

Dr T

• forum hero
just caught onto The Boys by Garth Ennis (preacher) and Darick Robertson (Transmetropolitan)

utterly awesome - satirical, political and down right crude
in fact a pure mix of preacher and transmet, which are, of course, both utterly awesome too

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
This is a bit different. Will admit that I will probably never buy it but it is one of the things that I like about the comics medium is that it can be used to portray difficult situations such as this.

Latest acquisitions are Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service which is OK - published in the Japanese Mange style it seems very odd reading as it reads "backwards". Like the concept and will certainly get hold of the second part to see if it gets better.

The other one is M.P.D Psycho which I have yet to read - it is apparently very full on so I am waiting to find the right time to read it. Will let you know how it goes.

Must also find a copy of Transmetropolitan.

Dr T

• forum hero
#44 Re: Anyone read any good comics recently?
January 02, 2010, 06:50:31 pm
Got this one for Christmas - BATMAN: CACOPHONY

good writing from Kevin Smith (especially the Joker's dialogue) and excellent art work, just a shame it didn't have a follow up

drdeath

• player
#45 Re: Anyone read any good comics recently?
January 03, 2010, 08:42:31 am
Currently reading the TPB of

which are great and well recommended...

but my favourite of the year by a country mile has been The Goon TPBs, so good I had to buy them all...

Here's the poster from the forthcoming David Fincher produced film...

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
Bit of an update on what I have been reading lately:

After re-reading Neil Gaiman's Sandman yet again I have finally caught on to Lucifer. Probably by far the best spin off character in the series.

Picked this up on the off chance after reading some good reviews - looks good so far.

Next, as recommended by Dr T.

Got to admit that I have always been a tad sceptical about Ennis after reading Preacher a long time ago and not really getting on with it. I might have to go back and look at Preacher again now as this is the dogs danglies - of the three recommended so far this is probably the best of them.

Lastly a bit of Japanese horror:

Only half way through the first part so far but it is suitably f***ed up in that unique Japanese style.

Still got to read the first part of M.P.D Psycho though so no baseline to judge it against for sheer head f***edness but I will get round to it soon and will comment then.

One thing I do know is that it is going to be an expensive few months while I catch up on all the above and I still haven't got round to buying Transmetropolitan yet...  :'(

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
#47 Re: Anyone read any good comics recently?
October 12, 2010, 04:26:31 pm
Just finished reading this:

Really thought-provoking storyline and the art is really something special IMO - different to anything else I have seen for a long time with very simple, stark line work being the most obvious aspect but once you study it further more different styles of artwork are revealed.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
Just working my way through the boys series after having the first one for about a year and not reading it I finally pulled my finger out last month. Since then I have got myself up book 6 I normally read 1 a month. Truly awesome so far as others have mentioned

I am a big ennis fan as I love preacher and his punisher stuff

sjw

• obsessive maniac
#49 Re: Anyone read any good comics recently?
February 22, 2012, 04:43:08 pm
Some of you will know Rich Jordan (richdraws on here) who designed the ukb t-shirt logo. Well, he's been locked in a dark room away from boulders, and daylight it appears, for months drawing a comic. It's called "No Place Like Home" and the first issue was released today . I picked one up from Forbidden Planet in Middlesbrough, so I assume it is easily found in decent comic shops. 

I hardly read any comics so can't comment on it's quality per say, but it looks brilliant to my untrained eye and filled my little heart with manlove and pride.  I know it's a bit "check out my mate's band", but just thought it was worth mentioning on here as some of you may be interested.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal