UKBouldering.com

Anyone read any good comics recently? (Read 61359 times)

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
following good advice on here I am currently working my way through sandman, transmetropolitan and hellblazer.
I am also reading locke and key which is a cool horror comic. Pretty good so far but not very far through the story.

Any recommendations for my next book.

Sure I have said it before but I will recommend the Lucifer spin off from Sandman. Also worth checking out the couple of other Sandman spin offs featuring Death - "The high cost of living" and "Time of your life" if you haven't done so already.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
following good advice on here I am currently working my way through sandman, transmetropolitan and hellblazer.
I am also reading locke and key which is a cool horror comic. Pretty good so far but not very far through the story.

[...]
Any recommendations for my next book.

I liked Warren Ellis's “Planetary”.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so

I liked Warren Ellis's “Planetary”.

I'll have a look at that, thoroughly enjoyed his Gun Machine novel.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Anyone want a copy of Jodorowsky and Möbius' classic "The Incal" in the original uncensored, proper colour print in Hardback let me know 'cos I bought two by mistake using Amazon's 1-click.   :slap:

Mint condition & unopened. It's the Self Made Hero edition.

65 quid...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#129 Re: Anyone read any good comics recently?
September 25, 2014, 10:00:18 am
If you like The Boys and Preacher I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis. As mentioned Kick Ass is excellent as are Wanted and American Jesus by Mark Millar.

Really enjoyed Wanted and American Jesus is also very good......but where is book 2?!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#130 Re: Anyone read any good comics recently?
September 25, 2014, 10:08:31 am
Also, The Punisher stuff that's all one big arc (#1 - #60 I think) is great. I thought it was a one trick pony at first but it got a lot deeper.

rich d

• forum hero
#131 Re: Anyone read any good comics recently?
September 25, 2014, 10:10:22 am
Also, The Punisher stuff that's all one big arc (#1 - #60 I think) is great. I thought it was a one trick pony at first but it got a lot deeper.
I'm at a loss now that the crossed Wish you were here has finished, any other recommendations for free online stuff. Been through the ones earlier in the thread.

Cheers Rich

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
Marvel have announcement that civil war is going to be the basis of the next captain America film.

Next bit has spoliers

It will be interesting how they do this.
I am not the biggest fan of superhero comics but I do go through stages. The key thing for me was that at the end of the book I came out hating iron man. If they do this film how the book reads it could ruin their iron man stories.

If you have not read civil war I can highly recommend it. Another of mark millars works (kick ass, wanted, etc). I am currently making my way through mph which is quite interesting so far but only 3 comics so far.
On a similar note I am looking forward to seeing kingsman which is based on another marks books. The trailer looks really good dispute featuring Colin firth.

Sorry that has just ended up as a bit of a mark Millar fan boy session. So to even it out. He's good but he is not Garth Ennis.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Saw this linked to on the Crossed message board:

http://www.sssscomic.com/index.php

A Scandinavian post apocolyptic web comic. Haven't read much yet but it's very nicely drawn.

Just had a read through of this. A bit slow to start with, but not bad, not bad at all. Cozy apocalypse

rich d

• forum hero
#134 Re: Anyone read any good comics recently?
November 13, 2014, 11:06:29 am
Crossed is supposed to be starting back up to day, and returning for its weekly Thursday slot. But they have been saying that for the past few weeks.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#135 Re: Anyone read any good comics recently?
November 13, 2014, 12:20:08 pm
Excellent......

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#136 Re: Anyone read any good comics recently?
December 04, 2014, 11:42:33 am
Just seen preacher is getting a pilot by AMC.
Seth Rogan has done the screen play I am rather excited at this news but about fucking time
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/12/04/amc-orders-preacher-pilot

I look forward to the catholic response to this series

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#137 Re: Anyone read any good comics recently?
December 16, 2014, 04:15:02 pm
Don't think it's been mentioned on here before but American Vampire is really good.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#138 Re: Anyone read any good comics recently?
February 04, 2015, 03:11:50 pm
Manga : The Climber

No idea if its any good, but looks intense and there are > 100 editions on the site...

danm

• junky
#139 Re: Anyone read any good comics recently?
February 04, 2015, 09:49:42 pm
BD Vipers?

I re-read a good blast from the past the other week - The Adventures of Luther Arkwright. Well ahead of its time, it broke the mould for comics in the UK. If you like Jerry Cornelius, multiple realities type stories, I recommend it highly to you.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#140 Re: Anyone read any good comics recently?
February 09, 2015, 02:40:53 pm

Really enjoying this so far.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
For the Preacher/Ennis/graphic violence/excellent story telling fans

Preacher is almost here!!!

Seth Rogan and Evan Goldberg. Thankfully with the assitance of Steve Dillon and Garth Ennis. Apparently it is goinf to be very different to the book which I am disappointed in but with it been made for an American tv network (other than HBO). I doubt they could get away with a guy chopping off his dick then fucking himself in arse with it?
Or more of an issue for the catholics the general story

Anyway since this post has not been updated in a long time what is everyone reading at the moment?

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
A geeky strip, obviously written by a climber, surprisingly entertaining...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Palomides

• forum abuser
Been working my way through graphic novels from the local Mediatheque, and read some really good ones

Quite enjoyed Umbrella Academy

Really, really liked Six-gun Gorilla

Just finished the 4 books of Borderline http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1556358.Borderline_Volume_1 the first three are excellent but the fourth gets a bit lost

Mixed feelings about The Wake - stylistically brilliant, but the shift from the first part to the second is really jarring (possibly intentional, but the final storyline didn't grab me)

Oh, and Angel Revelations - standalone story about the origins of the X-men character

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
This has been good. The whole cycle is there.

http://comic.skullkickers.com/comic/2012-01-06#.Vz9vO9R4WK0

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
Preacher premiered in the US last night a couple of reviews I have read have been pretty positive.

The boys is next on the production list for the same team. It was confirmed last week. I am rather excited

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Not sure if it's been mentioned on this thread before but I'm two thirds of the way through binge reading this:

And it's really good. A twist on the Walking Dead / Crossed post apocalyptic theme where a plague has wiped out all the males in the world apart from one young bloke and his pet monkey. Think Preacher fans will appreciate the humour too.

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
 no one seems to have posted In a while so I'd thought I would throw in my last few purchases.  Been steadily working my way through fables whichare pretty good, although it gets all a bit spin off and crossover by volume 13. I bought the new black widow series (tangled Web et al) and fell in love with Marjorie M. Li's writing,  so followed this with both X-23 and Nyx. Proper good stuff and as a die hard wolverine fan, disenchanted since we left madripoor,  X-23 is quite exciting,  almost a fusion of black widow and wolverine.  Marjorie does strong female characters, empowered rather than teen boy fodder.

deacon

• addict
#149 Re: Anyone read any good comics recently?
December 29, 2016, 08:47:57 am
Can I get a bit of advice from some comic book nerds please? ;)
I've recently found out at a late age that comics are cool as fuck but can be a bit hit and miss on knowing what to read. So what should I jump on next?
So far I've read:
Everything by Chris Ware: I love the Art style, and I really love the box set that he did.
The Walking Dead: I read almost all of this but it got a bit tedious towards the end and I didn't quite finish it (although I'll probably go back to it).
Maus by Art Speigelman?: I thought this was brilliant, and it really stood out as being a brilliant book, it's one I can defo imagine reading again every year or so.
The Preacher: I'm reading this at the minute, and thoroughly enjoying it (although it's still early days, I've nearly finished the first book).

I have zero interest in superheroes or anything like that.
I also quite like the idea of getting into a comic at issue 1 and waiting (and buying) each issue as it comes out. How do you find out what new comics are coming out? Are they weekly/monthly? Do you need to subscribe and get them delivered?

What's the deal with the Japanese 'back to front' paperback comic books? Any recommendations there? The covers tend to have a wiff of juvenile/paedo to them. Are they just for kids? The ones I've seen all look a bit Pokemon, but I haven't really had a proper look.

So does anyone have any recommendations?
I've tried googling a bit but I'm fucked if I know what would be good, Although Sandman seems to get recommended a lot.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal