UKBouldering.com

Anyone read any good comics recently? (Read 61375 times)

Dr T

• forum hero
Anyone read any good comics recently?
March 25, 2008, 10:38:55 pm
was talking about 30 days of night on the film thread and thought this might be a goer

lets kick it off with some of what the Mrs and I have on order at the moment

Fell, Warren Ellis and Ben Templesmith (surreal crime - best long runner I've read in years)

Docktor Sleepless. Warren Ellis and Ivan Rodriguez (interesting future shock - not quite sure where it's going though)

Simon Dark, Steve Niles and Scott Hampton (New protector of Gotham - Frankenstein esk - dark)

30 Days of night - Red snow, Ben Templesmith (excellent WW2 extension of the franchise)

Batman Confidential, Green, Cowan and Floyd (good new addition to the Batman franchise)

Lobster Johnson, Mike Mignola and Jason Armstrong (Pre Hellboy and BPRD, nice and weird)

Umbrella Academy, Gerard Way and Gabriel Ba (Surreal superpower weirdness from the imagination of the leader of MCR - just finished, look out for the TPB)

Lucha Libre, Bill Tanquerella, Fabian Gobi and Jerry Frissen (amusing weirdness with mexican masked wrestling "super" heros)

yes I'm a geek and I don't care  ;D

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
I recently reread The New Bondage Fairies on-line somewhere, but appart from that I haven't read any comics or graphic stuff for ages. I did have a dream that someone had made an excellent film version of Durham Red though.

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
I've been reading Ed the Happy Clown ....

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I've not bought any for ages either (Last one was Tank Girl II, in about 1991) but used to love them.

Aberdeen Library has a surprisingly large selection.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
I know it's an oldie, but I re-read Watchmen the other week, quality. You just know the film will be gash.

Stubbs

Watchmen is amazing - I'm embarrased to say it took me until last year to discover it  :-[

As with all these things I'm sure you're right about the film, but I hold out a faint hope...

Recently I've read:
Sandman, A Game of You and Fables and Reflections (Very slowly working my way through the series - so good)
Death's Head Volume I - Even funnier now I realise he talks in the same way as Gordon Ramsey, yes?
Planet Hulk - Amazing if you ar einto the big green guy
Alan Moores Complete WildC.A.T.S - slightly different take on superheroes to any Marvel offerings
Marvel Civil War - Great idea, well carried out
Marvel Zombies - zombies + superheroes - amazing!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I know it's an oldie, but I re-read Watchmen the other week, quality. You just know the film will be gash.

Ah I read that as a lad. So good. I didn't realise they were making a film of it but yeah I can't see how they'll do it justice. Seems the writers were of the same opinion.......

From wikipedia

Moore and Gibbons' response

Previous developments
In an interview with Variety's Danny Graydon during Warner Bros.'s first possession of feature film rights for Watchmen, the graphic novel's writer Alan Moore adamantly opposed a film adaptation of his comic book, arguing, "You get people saying, 'Oh, yes, Watchmen is very cinematic,' when actually it's not. It's almost the exact opposite of cinematic." Moore said that Terry Gilliam, preparing to direct Watchmen for Warner Bros. at the time, had asked Moore how the writer would film it. Moore told Graydon about his response, "I had to tell him that, frankly, I didn't think it was filmable. I didn't design it to show off the similarities between cinema and comics, which are there, but in my opinion are fairly unremarkable. It was designed to show off the things that comics could do that cinema and literature couldn't."

Moore also told Entertainment Weekly in December 2001, "With a comic, you can take as much time as you want in absorbing that background detail, noticing little things that we might have planted there. You can also flip back a few pages relatively easily to see where a certain image connects with a line of dialogue from a few pages ago. But in a film, by the nature of the medium, you're being dragged through it at 24 frames per second." Moore had opposed the adaptation of Watchmen from the beginning, intending to give any resulting film royalties to Watchmen artist Dave Gibbons. According to Moore, David Hayter's script "was as close as [he] could imagine anyone getting to Watchmen." However, Moore added, "I shan't be going to see it. My book is a comic book. Not a movie, not a novel. A comic book. It's been made in a certain way, and designed to be read a certain way: in an armchair, nice and cozy next to a fire, with a steaming cup of coffee."

In an early interview with Entertainment Weekly's Ken Tucker, Watchmen artist Dave Gibbons said that he thought the time had passed to make a Watchmen movie. At the time, Darren Aronofsky was expressing interest in directing the film under Paramount Pictures. Nevertheless, Gibbons said, "It was most likely to happen when Batman was a big success, but then that window was lost." Gibbons also told Neon, "In a way, I'm glad because it wouldn't have been up to the book."

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
100 Bullets is always a firm recommendation - really dark and with amazing artwork that holds far more than you think it does at times. Well worth checking out.

Stubbs - make sure you read the two Death spin off books after you finish the Sandman series.

bluebrad

Zods Beard

• forum abuser

Some of the names going round for it were staggering, Keanu Reeves! as Dr Manhattan, and Jude Law as Ozymandias for fucks sake. 2 heavy weight thespians eh? The Sandman books are great, I'm jealous if you reading them thro from start to finish. The Death books are good, but also check out The Books of Magic, The self-titled? John Constantine comics and the Lucifer series, all v.good.

Has anyone read the follow-up to Dark Knight Returns?

Stubbs

I attempted to start from the start after buying Endless Nights on a whim, but I've struggled to track down the first couple.  Got both of the Death books which are awesome.  Always think it's funny how much Dream looks like Gaiman, he seems to fancy himself quite a bit!

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
It shouldn't be too hard to tarck down the first couple, they've been reissued as part of the Absolute series. You get the first 3 volumes with extra artwork and other schizzle, in a hardback form. Pricey but worth it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Comics_Absolute_Editions

richdraws

• obsessive maniac
For pure art value I recommend all of Ashley Woods work on Popbot. It is written by Sam Keith I think, who writes very stream of conscious/psychedelic.
Mike Mignolas Hellboy might be a bit obvious but they are bloody good little stories.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
I attempted to start from the start after buying Endless Nights on a whim, but I've struggled to track down the first couple.

Amazon have all of the collected Sandman in orderhere. The collected volumes also turn up on Ebay regularly so worth checking there if you don't want to pay Amazons prices.

bluebrad

Stubbs

Nice one Bluebrad - last time I checked they said they could get the first two 'within 28 days' or whatever, but they just kept bumoing my order till the next month - looks like they've got some second hand now.

Anyone read Gaiman's Marvel 1602? I thought it was amazing.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
Anything by Gaiman is the schizzle, his fiction novels are worth checking out.

Fans of the dark knight should check this:

http://popcultureshock.com/features.php?id=1183

Doug Moench and Kelley Jones make a great pairing. I loved the artwork in this and the way Gotham and the various characters are interpreted. Class.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser

Doug Moench and Kelley Jones make a great pairing. I loved the artwork in this and the way Gotham and the various characters are interpreted. Class.

What a nerd.

Dr T

• forum hero

Fans of the dark knight should check this:

http://popcultureshock.com/features.php?id=1183

They also did a mini-series - Haunted Gotham - excellent

Jones' artwork on some of Steve Niles' Cal McDonald stories is awesome....

(as is Ben Templesmith's of course)

The Cal McDonald comics and books are savagely funny

This TPB from Niles is excellent too

Zods Beard

• forum abuser

Quality Dr, sums up what I was saying. The artwork's stunning. Look at his claws! Have you got any of the said issues? Threw mine out years ago.

:goodidea:   Not.

Dr T

• forum hero

Quality Dr, sums up what I was saying. The artwork's stunning. Look at his claws! Have you got any of the said issues? Threw mine out years ago.

:goodidea:   Not.

have all four - took some tracking down but.....  ;D

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters

Word there ZB - trying to get into Gaimans The Sandman: Dream Hunters with mixed results at the minute strangely enough but everything else I have ever read of his has always hit the spot.

bluebrad

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters

That cover looks good enough to make me want to look at a Batman storyline and that is saying something.

(as is Ben Templesmith's of course)

The Cal McDonald comics and books are savagely funny

This TPB from Niles is excellent too

Now those are interesting covers - Freaks of the Heartland looks especially good.

Must say that it's nice to see a comics thread that recommends stuff other than the usual old numbers - might have to recommend some Bisley era Slaine to get it back on track...  :o

bluebrad

Dr T

• forum hero
if you like that art work bluebrad you have to check out Fell

1st issue is on line for free here!!

cover is awesome too

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Did I hear a rumour of The Ballad of Halo Jones being made into a film?

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
if you like that art work bluebrad you have to check out Fell

1st issue is on line for free here!!

Good find Dr, whats with this $1.99 an issue, is that the only way they can make money with the printed word market being on it's arse? Are comics going as bad as newspapers and magazine's? His Global Frequency series looks pretty good.

Dr T

• forum hero
His Global Frequency series looks pretty good.

it is very good - and available as a TBP which makes life cheaper

they did make a TV pilot but it never went further....

Ellis' Transmetropolitan is also most excellent and available in TPB - think boarders stock it!!!

again free issue one is online here

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal