• maskon
#401 Re: Fine wine thread
February 20, 2013, 04:31:17 am
 tam, what you imbibing atm?

andy_e

• forum hero
#402 Re: Fine wine thread
February 20, 2013, 09:28:41 am
You won't get a response, he resigned from his post as Senior UKB Tory Candidate about 2 years ago.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#403 Re: Fine wine thread
March 30, 2016, 06:31:43 pm
I have been lucky enough to drink Chateau Bel-Air on a semi-regular basis as Joe Picalli and Seb buy a shipment of it each year as their regular drinking wine  :beer2:. For me it is the wine equivalent of Anasazi Whites.  It is consistently delicious and not the sort of thing you’d expect to find in a supermarket - except now it is – at Morrisons at an unbelievable bargain price of £10 a bottle.  :o

The bad news for locals is that I have hovered up the current displayed stock at the Sheffield stores of Hillsborough and Meadowhead where it is sold and also Guiseley (en route to Malham). Howver, I strongly recommend that those in the Provinces seek it out.

In the process of tracking down stock it became apparent that not all Morrisons have a “fine wine” selection. Those that do have a section where the selection is displayed in wooden boxes. I think it is likely that the chosen stores corresponds with the list at the end of this article. Reading that article I would have been tempted to try out some of their other offerings if I hadn’t already broken the bank.

Anyway back to the Bel-Air. Obviously needs to be warmed before opening and be sure to decant it by which I mean pour it into a jug to aerate it – there is no sediment to speak of. It tastes very average if poured direct. Also Seb says the maker has passed on producing it for the last 2 years – the harvest hasn’t been good enough or something.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#404 Re: Fine wine thread
March 30, 2016, 07:10:57 pm
Joe gave us a bottle a couple of years ago - I liked it a lot

that same day that Joe gave us the Beil-Air (we drank it several months later), Slackline brought round a Vacqueras that reminded me of all the good times I had in the '90s in France buying cheap, but good Vacqueras and Gigondas following a tip from the late Victor Radvils

I find no fault with this from Wikipedia

Vacqueyras is, like Gigondas, known for its power rather than its elegance

suits me

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#405 Re: Fine wine thread
March 30, 2016, 10:19:12 pm
UKB has a fine wine thread? I had no idea we were so kulturniy

My local supermarket occasionally and for no apparent reason - they don't stock it normally, more's the pity - has prize winning riesling at half price in the bargain bin. The first time I didn't know what it was so only bought a couple of bottles. It was fantastic. Then they didn't have it again for ages, and when they did I had to leave a couple of bottles behind because I was shopping on foot and couldn't carry it all.

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
#406 Re: Fine wine thread
March 30, 2016, 11:03:07 pm
A bottle can taste rank one day and delicious the next. Room temp and aeration usually does wonders.

Our local is Morrisons and if you come across the Wanted Zin, Zinfandel on offer I'd give it a go. £10 usually but bought it when it was down at £7. Tastes great just out the bottle and a safe bet for a dinner party.

Other table wine offer favourites are: Campo Viejo Rioja Reserva and the New Zealand Crux Sauvignon Blanc  :beer2:

Girlfriend has an app called vivino. Tells you what others thought, average price bought for etc.

Edit: I forgot this was a fine wine thread. Now let me tell you about my 1990 chateau Lagrange...

tregiffian

• stalker
  • Struggling
#407 Re: Fine wine thread
March 31, 2016, 08:44:39 am
I agree about that Rioja.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#409 Re: Fine wine thread
September 08, 2018, 12:52:36 am
Sorry, this is way off topic, but I couldn't find the bargain booze thread  ;D

I occasionally buy myself a bottle of plonk.

Just been to Siansbury's. Bought a bottle of "Penguin Sands" Merlot 13%.

God awful branding, but at £3.75 a bottle, seemed with a punt.

Really smooth and quaffable. A very fine wine at the price - to the extent that I'm wondering if they've made a mistake.

Then again, their espresso coffee beans have always been a complete bargain - currently at £2.30/237g bag, often lower.

:2thumbsup:  :beer2:

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#410 Re: Fine wine thread
September 08, 2018, 06:32:14 am
You never know do you?

My rainy day Carrefour visit on this year's Font expedition produced (among other things) a 15 Euro bottle of Grand Cru Superieur Ne Plus Ultra etc etc Alsace Riesling, and a 6 Euro cheapie bottle of same. Personally I much preferred the cheapie.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal