UKBouldering.com

Architecture (Read 55157 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
#175 Re: Architecture
February 17, 2014, 09:55:41 pm
He paints a very engaging narrative. Just enough 'isms' to make it thought provoking but not too many to make it (too) pretentious :)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#176 Re: Architecture
February 17, 2014, 10:18:38 pm
If you've not seen his series on France which is bloody brilliant, go to MeadesShrine on You Tube as all his documentaries are there.  I got a box of his photographs as postcards with witty aphorisms on the back for Christmas and as I've mentioned on the Books thread.  "Museums Without Walls", a collection of all his essays, was published last year.  Top drawer..

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#177 Re: Architecture
February 18, 2014, 10:20:18 am
Ah I nearly bought the Pidgin Snaps myself, they're good then?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#178 Re: Architecture
February 23, 2014, 10:26:34 pm
Cheers for the heads up on this. Watched the episode that was just on BBC4 and thought it was great.

Hard work at times and challenging in different ways (found myself totally agreeing and then totally disagreeing with him on pretty much the same subject in a matter of seconds more than twice) but also very informative and very funny.

The shot of him wearing a onesie, reading Harry Potter and shoveling junk food down his neck to illustrate his view that the general public's opinion is childish and shouldn't be considered in matters of architecture (and how 50 years ago adults dressed, read and ate like adults rather than children) was marvellous.

And aside from all that the building pr0n was amazing.

andy popp

• forum hero
#179 Re: Architecture
March 07, 2024, 04:11:54 pm

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#180 Re: Architecture
March 07, 2024, 05:52:49 pm
They’re universally awful !!!!!

stone

• forum abuser

gme

• forum hero
#182 Re: Architecture
March 07, 2024, 06:49:14 pm
Love them. Lots of these places have an amazing beauty and warmth inside them.

Worth looking inside if you ever pass them.

Watch “kin” on iplayer last week and was taken with the church they used in the series. It was beautiful.  enclosed and austere as you looked towards the alter sat in congregation but light beautiful and colourful looking out.

https://www.buildingsofireland.ie/buildings-search/building/11210004/catholic-church-of-the-holy-spirit-limekiln-lane-limekilnfarm-greenhills-dublin

andy popp

• forum hero
#183 Re: Architecture
March 07, 2024, 07:07:02 pm
Love them. Lots of these places have an amazing beauty and warmth inside them.

Worth looking inside if you ever pass them.

Absolutely! Always worth a look! We recently discovered this church just metres from home - Bethlehem Kirke - designed by the architects of the much more famous Grundtvigs Kirke. Early C20th, so earlier than the Brutalists churches, but a lot of Danish churches have an incredibly austere appearance that reminds me of the later examples.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#184 Re: Architecture
March 07, 2024, 08:12:36 pm
They’re universally awful !!!!!
So is religion TBF...

webbo

• forum hero
#185 Re: Architecture
March 07, 2024, 08:32:36 pm
I’m not sold on the concrete compared to carved stone.
As a 15 year old I got kicked out of the history class due to disagreement with the teacher. I had to do Religious instruction, as we had to do a project I managed to do this on Cathedral architecture. I got my mum to take me to York Minister, there was a flower festival on with all the priests vestments as part of the display. 50 years on it still sticks in my memory.

mark20

• junky
#186 Re: Architecture
March 08, 2024, 11:17:50 am
We did a module in GCSE History class at school about the architecture of churches, which I found it strangely fascinating. There is a very particular spot in the churchyard in the town I grew up in where you can stand to see the original Norman window, between the parapets of a later part of the building.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#187 Re: Architecture
March 08, 2024, 12:26:59 pm
Not only are they beautiful, but there is a lot of amazing engineering involved, like the classic flying buttresses (as per Notre Dame) which allowed them to be wider and higher inside. Some of the ruined Abbeys and Churches (Kirkstall, Fountain, Arbroath spring to mind) are still beautiful, and almost like cutaway models.

(Agree with Fiend though).

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#188 Re: Architecture
March 08, 2024, 06:16:04 pm
I read this last year. It’s great. An academic researchers journey to becoming a stonemason.

https://www.alexwoodcock.co.uk/king-of-dust

Duma

• forum hero
#189 Re: Architecture
March 08, 2024, 09:16:02 pm
Thanks for the link fd, the church of storms in the extract is just down the road from where I grew up and return there pretty much every year, I've always loved it.

stone

• forum abuser
#190 Re: Architecture
March 08, 2024, 09:44:30 pm

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#191 Re: Architecture
March 09, 2024, 04:29:08 am
As a small boy, I would follow my Grandfather around the site of Central Church in Torquay, watching it grow into something that to me, seemed so futuristic and amazing. It seemed so massive and imposing at that time, yet strangely delicate, not at all brutalist. My Grandfather was “prominent” in the Methodist community (he must spin in his grave at my adult antics) and they were, then, almost beyond austere (when he died, in 1979, the minister (deliberately lower case) came to sit with my Grandmother, mother and her sisters and berated them, harangued them, to pray for my Grandfather’s damned soul, because he’d been know to enjoy a glass of wine at social functions and fraternise with arch “Papists” having attended a few functions at “the Devil’s layer” (Buckingham Palace) with his daughters).
Yet, this church is almost joyous. It shows the transformation that was occurring in the church as the old Fire and Brimstone fanatics gave way to guitar strumming, long haired and bearded, young preachers; Kumbaya’ing into our dowdy lives, fresh from missionary work and startlingly happy.

As a footnote:
I was living in a small Cornish village at the time of the ministers visit, from which my Grandfather hailed and the family had gathered for his funeral there. I had listened at the key hole during that disgusting diatribe. The following Sunday, my mother walked me to the Chapel school rooms for the weekly indoctrination session and handed me over to the two old village maids that ran Sunday school (fucking hypocrites, they lived together as “friends”).
 I walked through the classroom, to the toilets, pushed the bar on the fire escape and ran off into the meadows and woods to fight pirates. I never went back.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 04:50:50 am by Oldmanmatt »

andy popp

• forum hero
#192 Re: Architecture
March 09, 2024, 05:54:07 am
Thanks everyone, some really interesting responses.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#193 Re: Architecture
March 09, 2024, 08:05:28 am
Thanks for the link fd, the church of storms in the extract is just down the road from where I grew up and return there pretty much every year, I've always loved it.

Oh that’s great Duma.  If you’d like to borrow the book I could try to get it to you. Post or something?

Duma

• forum hero
#194 Re: Architecture
March 09, 2024, 07:36:32 pm
Thanks for the offer FD, I have already pre-ordered the paperback though! Will hang on until that's out (May) as I'll likely pass it on to my dad as a suspect it'll also be right up his street .

gme

• forum hero
#195 Re: Architecture
March 09, 2024, 10:21:34 pm
You need to look at these places in context of the era they were built in. The great cathedrals and monuments that still exist today were built in a time that is simply not possible to recreate now, nor was it in the 50s60s. The architects of the time were trying to create the same impression on a vastly smaller budget.
Durham cathedral, York minster or St Paul’s could not be built now.

I walked around the natural history museum two weeks ago and the major thing that I took from it wasn’t the collection but the fact the we would be incapable of building the receptacle that stores it now. It  bc would not pass public costing scrutiny.

Tom de Gay

• menacing presence
#196 Re: Architecture
March 10, 2024, 07:41:13 am
You need to look at these places in context of the era they were built in. The great cathedrals and monuments that still exist today were built in a time that is simply not possible to recreate now, nor was it in the 50s60s. The architects of the time were trying to create the same impression on a vastly smaller budget.
Durham cathedral, York minster or St Paul’s could not be built now.

Part of this is the overall importance of ecclesiastical architecture today. Building a giant cathedral isn’t the same flex it was in the 1200s. Through the 1960s the US spent 5% of GDP, every year, on sending people to the moon. So perhaps it was more a question of their spending priorities, rather than the absolute affordability of enormous stone monuments.

More cost efficient ways of building tall impressive stuff obviously exist now too. Prior to the Eiffel Tower, the tallest building in the world was the Great Pyramid.

PeteHukb

• player
#197 Re: Architecture
March 10, 2024, 08:22:25 am
. Prior to the Eiffel Tower, the tallest building in the world was the Great Pyramid.
Don't forget Lincoln Cathedral - tallest (known) building in the world at 160m from 1311 to 1549 when the spire collapsed, and not actually surpassed in height until 1884 when the Washington Monument was built (5 years before the Eiffel Tower blew them all out of the water at 324m).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_freestanding_structures
Apologies, there are some really nice graphics of this timeline but I'm struggling to link to any of them.

I also realise some of these heights/dates may well be disputed, so I'm willing to be corrected. Also, clearly the Great Pyramid's record reign is unmatched (2500BC-1311AD).
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 08:33:09 am by PeteHukb »

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#198 Re: Architecture
March 10, 2024, 10:49:53 am
Good knowledge folks. Didn’t know much of that.

Duma, hope you enjoy the book.  Alex is on Twitter.  Interesting guy with good taste in music and books.

Tom de Gay

• menacing presence
#199 Re: Architecture
March 10, 2024, 11:43:25 am
Don't forget Lincoln Cathedral - tallest (known) building in the world at 160m from 1311 to 1549 when the spire collapsed
Photos or it didn’t happen! :)

(Grew up near Lincoln. Its scale is overwhelming even today. Imagine being a medieval steeplejack on that…)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal