UKBouldering.com

Mobile phone recommendations please... (Read 165081 times)

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#500 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
September 23, 2017, 06:55:44 pm
Had a look around and the Huawei P10 is tickling my fancy. Anyone got one?

Seriously considering splashing out for a huge SD card and replacing my iPod too.
colleague has a p9 that he's very happy with.  I was thinking seriously about one.. but found an s7 on ebay that was from currys/pcworld refurb outlet. half price (350) unlocked. 14 day return policy and when it turned up.. it was essentially unboxed but never used.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I've got  P9 and its great. Top camera, fast processor, great screen, lots of standard memory and I've put another 32gig in it. I'd recommend one to anyone and the P10 looks even better.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#501 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
November 13, 2017, 06:30:06 pm
Had a look around and the Huawei P10 is tickling my fancy. Anyone got one?

Seriously considering splashing out for a huge SD card and replacing my iPod too.
colleague has a p9 that he's very happy with.  I was thinking seriously about one.. but found an s7 on ebay that was from currys/pcworld refurb outlet. half price (350) unlocked. 14 day return policy and when it turned up.. it was essentially unboxed but never used.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I've got  P9 and its great. Top camera, fast processor, great screen, lots of standard memory and I've put another 32gig in it. I'd recommend one to anyone and the P10 looks even better.

I'm also looking at the P10, looks really good, but not waterproof, and apparently poor battery life. Anyone used one yet?
Nokia 8 looks ok as well, both on offer at car phone warehouse.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#502 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
November 13, 2017, 08:07:11 pm
I’m due an upgrade from Slodafone. Currently toying with getting an IPhone SE, but could be tempted by a P10 or something similar? I’m well and truly out the loop with mobiles these days. I did read somewhere that November is the best month for mobile deals? Perhaps towards the end of the month especially with Black Friday approaching.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#503 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
November 13, 2017, 08:18:43 pm
Jesus Christ. Start searching for deals and it is endless!

Quite fancied a new laptop, so thought I did look into a deal for a mobile that comes with one. Can get Huawei P10 lite on EE with unlimited calls and texts, and 15gb of data for £34.99 per month with a free Lenovo 15.6 Celeron 4GB RAM 1TB HDD Windows 10 Home worth £322.99 (apparently)

The plot thickens.

TobyD

• forum hero
#505 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
November 25, 2017, 04:07:44 pm
Read all the reviews, and the one plus 5 seems like a much better bet. Just bought one; can feedback for anyone interested. The 5t is pretty similar, better screen but more expensive. Anyone want to buy a used Moto G?! ;-)

TobyD

• forum hero
#506 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
November 26, 2017, 09:58:53 pm
Highly recommend the oneplus 5 on evidence so far. Not tried the camera yet, but it's supposed to be very good.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Anyone tried or use the Smarty network?

Have absolutely lost it with Vodafone, fucking bellends of the highest calibre. So fancy a change, reviews of Smarty look decent as does price etc. One of the reviews was by a user called tom tom...... Coincidence?! Or is it our very own...

tomtom

• forum hero
Nope. Not me Mike. Never used it...

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
I've been using my Nexus 5 for about 4 and a half years now. I bought it new and it cost £300 sim free. Need something new now and Jesus Christ phones are expensive. I don't think I'm willing to get something that costs much more than £400. Might just stretch to £500.

I have a feeling that my phone has been getting OS updates since I got it (maybe I've stopped getting them and I haven't noticed). Is this not a thing that happens anymore? Lots of phones seem to have time limits on when they'll stop updating the OS.

I'd like 32GB storage at least. 64GB would be great. Decent camera would be nice but doesn't need to be amazing. Will be getting it sim free and putting in a Giff Gaff SIM.

Any advice on where I should start looking?

tk421a

• addict
Nokia 8 at carphone warehouse is at £349 which seems cheap. Processor is the same as all the current flagships.
New flagship phones coming out soon.
Oneplus are good value (using a oneplus 5 myself), as are a lot of the new chinese brands, Huawei / Honor etc.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
Review here for the Nokia 8 - https://www.techradar.com/reviews/nokia-8

Would be interested in hearing some ideas as well - the battery on the nexus 5 is dying in under a day so going to have to upgrade soon.

@ Will - Google upgrades (other than critical ones) stop after 2 years from IIRC - probably now standard practice...

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
Just wondering does anyone use the 3 network? Need to upgrade my sim only deal for more data and id mobile who piggy back off the 3 network are doing 10gb, 300 minutes for a tenner a month. Seems good value however I'm a bit concerned about the lack of 2g especially when in the hills/on the moors and needing to let the missus know I'm going to be late as I just need one more go at my project!

Can also go with either virgin or Plusnet who piggy back off EE. However these are less data for the money and also don't get the full EE network (no band 800mhz 4g).

Any personal feedback regarding signal would be appreciated as coverage maps are generally useless!

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
I moved to 3 sim only from Slodafone. In general, I get a decent enough signal in most areas but like any network, it sometimes fails miserably. Not sure where you are based, but it works reasonably well for me in North Yorkshire, County Durham and Cumbria.

I got my deal through the topcashback website. Think it’s £12ish per month for 500 mins, u/l texts and 8gb of data, and also got about £50 cash back (well not technically got it yet, but will definitely be getting it as I’ve used the website loads and never had any problems.)

joel182

• obsessive maniac
Just wondering does anyone use the 3 network?

Have used 3 happily for several years - have been happy with the coverage (mostly used in Mid Wales & London)

tomtom

• forum hero
Phone up customer retentions (or ask to be put through) of your existing supplier. They're desperate to keep existing customers and will near always match other deals (and better them)..

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
Phone up customer retentions (or ask to be put through) of your existing supplier. They're desperate to keep existing customers and will near always match other deals (and better them)..

Already tried that. Unfortunately Tesco don't do any customer retention deals apparently. All deals are the same for new and old customers. I think this is a good way to be, apart from when I can't make it work in my favour!

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
I generally have excellent reception - been on 3 for years and the only place I get outreceptioned is at work where 02 reigns supreme...

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
So I've recently upgraded by old Moto G4 to the new G6 Play and have been really happy with it...bigger, faster, like the fingerprint sensor etc.

However, stumbled over an annoying problem that looking at the Motorola message boards seems like it might be an endemic problem with the phones.

The headphone connection is a bit iffy, especially at sub-half volumne, and will occasionally just disconnect and interrupt Spotify / iPlayer. I've also completely failed to get it to connect / play via my standard 3.5mm aux jack in the car.

Jury seems to be out from Motorola / Lenovo's side, but in this thread they seems to be close to admitting a problem:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G6-Moto-G6-Plus-Moto-G6/Moto-G6-Play-poor-headphone-audio-quality-confirmed-on-multiple/td-p/4101744/page/3

Paul B

• forum hero
Is anyone up to date with budget Android smartphones?

I've not been overly impressed with my Moto G4 (screen size is good for viewing content but the phone generally seemed sluggish from the off). My wife went for a Huawei P9 Lite which seems OK?

TobyD

• forum hero
I have a one plus five. It's absolutely brilliant, I'd recommend it to anyone. Very good camera, screen, very fast processor.

joel182

• obsessive maniac
I have a Xiaomi Mi 8 which I've been impressed with so far. Their budget lineup seems to get good reviews, and for around £200 I'd consider a Mi A2 Lite

winhill

• regular
Before xmas I found the Huawei Honor 9 Lite for £99, supposed to be one of the best budgets for 2018, at that price very good deal. (Didn't buy one though)

https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-huawei-honor-9-lite

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
Is anyone up to date with budget Android smartphones?

I've not been overly impressed with my Moto G4 (screen size is good for viewing content but the phone generally seemed sluggish from the off). My wife went for a Huawei P9 Lite which seems OK?

I have had p8 lite for about a year. Its alright but a bit slow at times. You have to be careful to leave plenty of free space (at least 20% ideally) on the internal memory or it becomes unusable.

Paul B

• forum hero
Before xmas I found the Huawei Honor 9 Lite for £99, supposed to be one of the best budgets for 2018, at that price very good deal. (Didn't buy one though)

https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-huawei-honor-9-lite

I probably should've bought then. However, I'm not overly fond of the UI where every app gets dumped on your screen rather than as per stock Android. I've been watching reviews of the Cubot P20 and like the idea of stock Android, at 6.18" it's verging on a tablet!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal