UKBouldering.com

Mobile phone recommendations please... (Read 166424 times)

tomtom

• forum hero

You can pick up the 3rd gen Gs for about a ton on Argos etc.

Should have picked one up while you were rolling by Argos Extra like a pimp.

Word. With your chrome spinners on the Fabia..

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee

You can pick up the 3rd gen Gs for about a ton on Argos etc.

Should have picked one up while you were rolling by Argos Extra like a pimp.

Word. With your chrome spinners on the Fabia..

I was only there to get (and I'm not kidding) a weed remover tool to get shot of the plague of dandelions that have appeared on my lawn.

Don't hate the playa boys - hate the game.

tomtom

• forum hero
Did you see me doing donuts in the Asda next door?

tommytwotone

• forum hero
More on the Moto G4 (not to be confused with the 3rd Gen 4G, which is just a 4G enabled old Moto G):

http://www.trustedreviews.com/motorola-moto-g-review

Only place apart from the Motorola site I've seen these is on the Tesco site - I actually bit the bullet and tried to buy one yesterday, only to the informed they're out of stock!

:chair:

kelvin

• forum hero
Having dropped my MotoG v1 in the loo the other night, I'm waiting for the 64gb G4plus to be released in July. I'll report back when acquired.

andy_e

• forum hero
My HTC One M8 went swimming this morning and is currently lounging in a pot of rice. If it fails to dry, does anyone know what the HTC One M9 is like?

tommytwotone

• forum hero
John Lewis have got them in stock at £160

http://www.johnlewis.com/motorola-moto-g4-smartphone-android-5-5-4g-lte-sim-free-16gb/p2789422?sku=236210308&kpid=236210308&s_kenid=09d8818f-c454-437c-b9a6-6f9c6c17f293&s_kwcid=402x2886564&tmad=c&tmcampid=73

Good spot - got one last week. Impressed so far, but it is an upgrade from an old skool non-4G Moto E.

It's a big beast, kind of like my old HTC Desire HD but that's not a bad thing - it's in a pocket / bag most of the time and the bigger screen is great for photos and video.

psychomansam

• forum hero
Samsung S5s are still on sale and still waterproof. This does have the disadvantage that you can't drown it to justify an upgrade. I keep mine in a shock proof case so dropping it is also no excuse.
To be fair, my other half has an S6 in a waterproof&shockproof case. I'd trust it less, but it's still unlikely to provide you with an opportunity for an early upgrade.

dave

I had a Motorola that was waterproof a few years back, a feature that in retrospect added no additional value or utility to the phone at all.

Hugh

• regular
My HTC One M8 went swimming this morning and is currently lounging in a pot of rice. If it fails to dry, does anyone know what the HTC One M9 is like?
I've got an M9. Pretty happy with it, decent camera, screen and battery life. Certainly preferable to my previous iPhone.

Paul B

• forum hero
#436 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
September 23, 2016, 12:30:33 pm
Finally I'm going to actually get around to buying a new (budget, Android) phone.; before I plump for the new Moto G4 (not the play or the plus versions), is there anything I'm missing?

Techradar seems to suggest it's the best in class. Others being:

Oppo F1 - Camera looked interesting (not the selfie one)
Wileyfox - Cyanogen appeals to my inner geek but I'm not sure how much market share it'll retain going forward?
Honour 5X - ?
Sony offerings seem poor although again the better than usual camera appeals.

I'll be in the USA in ~1 month and I was hoping that the exchange rate would mean I could pick up a very cheap phone however that's not looking likely!

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#437 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
September 23, 2016, 06:57:25 pm
Finally I'm going to actually get around to buying a new (budget, Android) phone.; before I plump for the new Moto G4 (not the play or the plus versions), is there anything I'm missing?

I don't know if it's a problem with the new Moto, but the headphones socket on mine died very quickly, all googling suggests that this is very common, and it just happens again if you get Motorola to repair it, which leaves you phone less for 3 weeks. Otherwise it's great, however.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#438 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
September 23, 2016, 07:27:16 pm
How's everyone doing with their Z5 compacts, still good?  The specs on the new Moto G look good except the size... So I'm thinking of the Z5. £259 refurbished from GIffGaff just now.

kelvin

• forum hero
#439 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
September 23, 2016, 08:16:43 pm
I decided the Moto G4 was too big and decided to buy a new 3rd gen instead from John Lewis. £99 delivered and unlocked. 12gig card and it'll do me.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#440 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
September 23, 2016, 09:04:17 pm
I decided the Moto G4 was too big and decided to buy a new 3rd gen instead from John Lewis. £99 delivered and unlocked. 12gig card and it'll do me.

I'm just getting rid of my 2nd gen... Bit fed up how easily the "gorillia glass" screen keeps breaking (I've broken 3 to be fair the replacements may have been lower quality) and it's just too slow. Maybe the 3rd gen is better?  £99 is pretty good value, but I'm constantly battling my 8gb internal memory, so the 32gb of the sony looks promising  (not all apps can be moved to SD).

Duma

• forum hero
#441 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
September 23, 2016, 10:14:31 pm
Fucks sake!! UKB's ever reliable server has lost my reply...

Anyway asked a mate at work who has one (Z5 compact) this exact question today and he's very happy with his still (nearly year on).

(I've had my Z1 compact for ages now and really like it - the sony android skin isn't the nicest but it's a great bit of hardware, and the camera's lovely)

IanP

• forum abuser
#442 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
September 23, 2016, 10:17:12 pm

I'm just getting rid of my 2nd gen... Bit fed up how easily the "gorillia glass" screen keeps breaking (I've broken 3 to be fair the replacements may have been lower quality) and it's just too slow. Maybe the 3rd gen is better?  £99 is pretty good value, but I'm constantly battling my 8gb internal memory, so the 32gb of the sony looks promising  (not all apps can be moved to SD).

16 year old daughter has had the 3rd gen for nearly 12 months and its been excellent - but did get the 16gb memory, 2g ram version after reading reviews.  Looks like can get it for £120 on Amazon, pretty unbeatable value at that price imo.

rodma

• forum hero
#443 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
September 24, 2016, 01:12:37 pm
How's everyone doing with their Z5 compacts, still good?  The specs on the new Moto G look good except the size... So I'm thinking of the Z5. £259 refurbished from GIffGaff just now.
I still like mine.

It's not as fast as the missus' moto g4, but it runs fine, has a great camera etc. It's quite wee, so web browsing sucks a bit, but otherwise I really like it.

Paul B

• forum hero
It's not as fast as the missus' moto g4, but it runs fine, has a great camera etc. It's quite wee, so web browsing sucks a bit, but otherwise I really like it.

Good knowledge Rodma, thanks.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
An alternative to the Sony compact is the Samsung A3. Still (relatively) small and only about £200. Really like it. Originally bought it because there was an offer and it was much cheaper than the Sony.

I've got one though its a 2014 i think, there is an updated 2016 version which I think i'll get soon.

(Nothing wrong with the one I have now operationally except that I keep smashing it. Which is nothing to do with the design of the phone or anything other than me being myself etc). Don't cycle and text when drunk.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Still loving my Sony Z5 compact. I have found the waterproofness to be of use when lounging in a hot tub (which have found occasion to do twice this year), chilling out, taking inappropriate photos of the wife photos etc etc Otherwise, has been useful when fishing in the rain and/or dropping it in the lake...

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
Still loving my Sony Z5 compact. I have found the waterproofness to be of use when lounging in a hot tub (which have found occasion to do twice this year), chilling out, taking inappropriate photos of the wife photos etc etc Otherwise, has been useful when fishing in the rain and/or dropping it in the lake...

Mine has just arrived. So far so good. I might get a thin cover for it as it's quite slippery in the hand and I'm good at dropping phones...

The camera is actually quite impressive!

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Yeah I bought this one and has seen off a number of Fatneck Fumbles!

Xperia Z5 Compact Case, Ringke FUSION [SMOKE BLACK]Shock Absorpti... http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0168YKR1I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_udp_apa_F958xb2GCAQ7P

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Soon no one will need to say what phones they have, we'll all know automatically from the really useful and informative signature Crapatalk adds to posts by default (but which can be turned off in the settings)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal