UKBouldering.com

Mobile phone recommendations please... (Read 166196 times)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#326 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
September 04, 2014, 05:33:22 pm
Just upgraded Mrs Obi to a MotoG, 16gb. £150 from Amazon. Shes moved to a SIM only contract with Three. Phone gets HSPDA+ so is pretty fast even if not the 4G version (which is a bit more). Generally really impressed. Motorola software makes it a bit too easy to migrate EVERYTHING from your old phone if your not careful, which in her case was over 3000 photos and videos and many thousand text messages.  :slap: Once we had downloaded then deleted all the old crap cherished memories off her old handset it migrated everything including texts, call logs etc to the new one.

Really nice handset, bright screen, latest version of Android etc etc. Tempted to get one myself.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#327 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
September 15, 2014, 07:47:45 am
Looks like P4U are soon to be a thing of the past.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/29201191

Can't say I'm surprised really having worked for them in the past, but seems a shame as they are apparently a profitable firm.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#328 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
September 15, 2014, 10:26:56 am
This sounds a pretty shit situation which will only give more power to the networks and less to the consumer. High street retail is in enough bother without the profitable businesses being knackered too. I've never bought a smartphone from a shop but it seems plenty of people still want to.

tomtom

• forum hero
#329 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
September 15, 2014, 10:37:12 am
I've known a few people that have worked for p4u... and this in itself (6k employees and only me) means they must have one helluva staff churn rate. Also - every person I have know who worked there indicated that the company were but a small step removed from Satan in how they operated...

Shame for the 6k folks working for them... :( 

but hey kids, just embrace the neoliberal capitalist model we operate in and move on...
(sarcasm icon required..)

kelvin

• forum hero
#330 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
September 15, 2014, 10:37:41 am
I actually bought a Moto G 4g from them last week. They were pleasant to deal with, knew their stuff and had what I wanted in stock. Shame.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#331 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
September 18, 2014, 03:06:28 pm
Just helped my mum set up her new Moto G that she's got for buttons on her Virgin contract and for the (lack of) money I was well impressed with it.

kelvin

• forum hero
#332 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
September 18, 2014, 03:13:31 pm
Aye, it's a cracking phone for the pebbles. Never use a phone camera anyway and rarely watch video, so the older one with 4g and card ability seemed more appropriate for me, than the shiny new model with no 4g. Vanilla android is a joy to use after the Sony I had and I'm finding that google voice actually understands me. Amazing.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#334 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
February 07, 2015, 04:03:57 pm
That's crap slackers. It says the only phone with big storage is an iPhone because it doesn't take into account expandable memory.

And it's American.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#335 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
February 07, 2015, 05:53:58 pm
There is a separate 'SD card' check box though, which once selected excludes all iphones.

Its probably more useful than trying to solicit opinions and recommendations on phones though.  I don't know about others, but the only phone I have experience of is the one(s) I've owned (and I doubt anyone wants to know about the obsolete phones, even my most recent was/is a model behind the flag-ship from the manufacturer).  Thus when asking for phone recommendations all you'll tend to get are "I like/hate my phone" based on each individuals very limited experience, not really objective.

I'd love to have a Galaxy S5, Xperia Z3, LG G3 etc. etc. and be able to give each a good test and see how they all compare but thats just a waste of money so comparing the hardware specs against the features you would like and what you're willing to pay seems a good objective way of choosing a phone (to me at least).

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#336 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
February 08, 2015, 10:23:16 am
Tempted by a LG G3. Was looking at the OnePlusOne but put off by them falling out with their software guys which may delay updates. G3 is now under £300 which sounds like a bargain and already running 5.0. Anyone used one? Replaceable batt also appeals.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#337 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
February 09, 2015, 03:54:20 pm
No relation to Obi's post but just by way of general recommendation, I've had an HTC 1 for over a year now have been very impressed with it. Far more robust than the iphone I had previously, better camera, just as fast, more storage and great screen etc...  :thumbsup:

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Resurrection!

So I'm due an upgrade in 11 days. My interest in mobile phones has somewhat diminished since my days of working in the trade ceased. I've had an HTC One Mini for near enough two years, it's been ok, had a few issues but always fixed under warranty with HTC themselves.

So the question begs, what to go for? Stick with Android? Been happy enough with phone, but what other Android options are out there? Back to Apple? Doubt I'll get a 6, so is the 5 any good?

Or Pink Anasazi perhaps?

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
http://blog.gsmarena.com/motorola-will-offer-big-savings-moto-x-2nd-gen-nexus-6-uk-starting-tomorrow/

This seems like a decent price for a well reviewed handset. You can then whack in a sim from Tesco/3 whoever is cheapest at the time and be free from expensive contracts forever...

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
great I wanted a nexus 6 for a while

Ordered :) thank you tax ma for giving me my money back
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 08:05:17 am by Grubes »

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
I've pondered the sim only route with buying the handset outright, but I've been with Orange/EE for years so get a pretty sweet deal off them. £18 per month for unlimited calls and texts and 2.7gb of data of which I never use my full allowance of. That should only go down in price as well if I chose to stay with them.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
I notice that Tesco are bundling hudl 2 tablets with some of their budget smartphones

psychomansam

• forum hero
Decent deals on S5s at the minute.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Decent deals on S5s at the minute.

Where?

TheTwig

• stalker
I buy Samsung S3 minis, dirt cheap and like £12 a month contract. been through a few of em now

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Ended up with a Samsung S6. So far so good.

But my lack of ability to do what I thought would be so easy is all ready making me pissed off. I am parting company with a HTC One Mini, using Android version 4.4.2 and I'd absolutely love to transfer all the content (contacts, apps, photos etc) to my new shiny S6 running Android 5.0.2

Can I find an easy, stress free way to do it? Can I fuck. Am I hopeless with mobile phone technology, even after spending years working in a mobile shop? Affirmative.

Any helpers?

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
Do you have your contacts etc saved under your Google account?

Paul B

• forum hero
Are any of the newer budget smartphones worth a look? My Moto G (original) is starting to s.l.o.w. down significantly and I no longer have any internal space to update applications; this is a problem. Also, given I'm no three, it makes sense to use the 4G capabilities of the network.

I half considered looking at an older iphone (5c?)...  :chair:

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
After an enforced upgrade, i.e. I dropped and smashed it, i just bought a  new moto g, it has external storage, the screen is much bigger and its faster. At the price seems there's little competition.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal