UKBouldering.com

Mobile phone recommendations please... (Read 166159 times)

miso soup

• obsessive maniac
And the Galaxy music player doesn't recognise m3u's?  Seriously?  Can anyone recommend a good third party app that does?  Because there's no way I'm sitting and going through every track on the SD card individually.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
And the Galaxy music player doesn't recognise m3u's?  Seriously?  Can anyone recommend a good third party app that does?  Because there's no way I'm sitting and going through every track on the SD card individually.

See the "there's an app for that" thread for any manner of app recommendations. I use "Gone Mad Music Player" myself.

iain

• forum abuser
Anyone found a decent version for ip hones?

[geaky answer] I was asked this by an iphone owning friend after he watched me use Swype and my understanding is that because of the way third party apps are restricted on iOS it's just not possible for something like Swype to work through the app store.

The other option is that Apple license the tech and build it in themselves which has apparently been talked about but nothing's come of it even though Siri uses tech from the same company that produce Swype.

ps. anyone still awake?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 05:26:20 pm by iain »

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
If you're considering a new mobile contract the results of this survey might be of interest.

Useful in conjunction with BillMonitor.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Just got a new Galaxy S4 time to unlock the bootloader/root and install a custom ROM :2thumbsup:

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
What deal did you get Slackline? My S2 is pretty tired with lots of apps stopping unexpectedly. I'm tempted by the following deal:

24 month contract - £19pcm
1000 mins, unlimited texts
500MB data (enough for me)
Free phone

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I bought it outright for £309.

I pay £10/month on Three for 300minutes/3000texts/1Gb/5000minutes to other Three users.

I kept my S2 (which I also bought outright) for a bit over two years.  I would sell it and get some cash but am going to keep it as a backup for myself and my wife should either of ours go.

Cut the SIM card down* and Three now has a 4G signal in and around Sheffield it seems.  :2thumbsup:

* Was going to buy one from a shop in town but they were £9.99 and they're fuck-all on flea-bay.  Better still though they gave me a free adapter in the Three shop in town when they cut the SIM card down.  :thumbsup:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Cut the SIM card down* and Three now has a 4G signal in and around Sheffield it seems.
Not up here in S8...yet.  I get quality 4G via 3 in Bristol/Cardiff/Wolves/Leeds though - seems as fast as wifi for general surfing/music/etc.

What deal did you get Slackline? My S2 is pretty tired with lots of apps stopping unexpectedly.
I pay £35 p/m for an S4 but that's for unlimited data (3 or 4g) which is great if you want music/radio/navigation on the move.  I can also tether my Nexus tablet to the phone without having to pay a the tethering fee which is a bonus.

tomtom

• forum hero
Been on 4G (EE) for the last 15-16 months.. Its belting.
A year ago (when not so many 4g devices around) I would get 20-30mb dl and 20ul at MrsTT's... now its about 10 during peak times...

Its slower in Hull (they dont have the double 4g bollocks) but I consistently get 4-8mb DL speeds with only a couple of bars of signal..  Amazing how its spreading - I picked up a 4G signal in Pickering the other week :/

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
The deal I am looking at is with EE. I tend to be near wifi a lot of the time so don't require much data.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Not up here in S8...yet.  I get quality 4G via 3 in Bristol/Cardiff/Wolves/Leeds though - seems as fast as wifi for general surfing/music/etc.

Just sorting out my new phone and it seems the O2 4G signal in S8 is working just fine. Switched WiFi off and it's still quick as fuck. Impressed.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
13.74mb on download. Decent.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Just sorting out my new phone and it seems the O2 4G signal in S8 is working just fine. Switched WiFi off and it's still quick as fuck. Impressed.
EE 4g works up here as well.  Three's rollout is slower but afaik they're still the only people offering unlimited data on 4g for no extra cost....or that was the case when I signed up anyway.  Only downside to Three is that there's no 2g network so you might suffer if you're somewhere really rural.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
I think in theory 2g roaming onto other networks (Orange/ee) should still work in certain areas. In practice I've found Three coverage to beat vodaphone and O2 in the 'rural' areas I spend time in such as the Lakes and North Wales.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I think in theory 2g roaming onto other networks (Orange/ee) should still work in certain areas. In practice I've found Three coverage to beat vodaphone and O2 in the 'rural' areas I spend time in such as the Lakes and North Wales.

:agree:

I forgot to mention that if you're looking for a new contract you should register at the Ofcom approved Billmonitor.com.

Cheers for the Google Edition recommendation Bubba, working nicely now (although I was slightly confused when it wouldn't install from ClockworkMod Recovery, but a quick search revealed that TWRP was the one to use). :2thumbsup:

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Mrs Starfish has finally had enough of her Blackberry freezing and the navigation button failing

so, trying to decide between the S3 and Moto G 16gb - exactly the same price on contract

camera is a consideration, as is justworksness (inc battery life)

she doesn't store much music/media, but I suspect that this would change with filming better video quality

any things I should know?

opinions?

either way, looks like I'll finally have a 3g phone, even if it is a blackberry

interestingly, the oldest child has just got an Xperia SP which costs less than the S3 and the G would, takes memory cards, has a cracking camera and reasonable battery. I suspect that Mrs Starfish will decide on that on the grounds that it does everything she can imagine wanting, costs less and she has easy access to a teenager who knows how to use it

tomtom

• forum hero

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Even more sure my next phone will be a Nexus 5/6/whatever based upon the fact that my bro gave me a wireless charger for my Nexus 7, and it's so cool I will now have to put several around the house just so I can do a Homer...

Quote from: Obi Simpson
Now it's charging, now it's not, now it's charging, now it's not, now it's charging, now it's not, now it's charging, now it's not, now it's charging, now it's not, now it's charging, now it's not, now it's charging, now it's not, now it's charging, now it's not, now it's charging, now it's not, now it's charging, now it's not, now it's charging, now it's not, now it's charging, now it's not, now it's charging, now it's not, now it's charging, now it's not, now it's charging, now it's not, now it's charging, now it's not, now it's charging, now it's not

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Other phones have wireless charging, e.g. GTi9505 Galaxy S4

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Can't imagine demand for these will be too high, but a nice proof-of-concept....

chris20

• menacing presence
Can't imagine demand for these will be too high, but a nice proof-of-concept....

PiPhone - A Raspberry Pi based Smartphone

Similar concept with the Arduino boards.... http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/GSMExamplesMakeVoiceCall

chris20

• menacing presence
Motorola have just released a new budget smart phone, the Moto E for just under 90 quid and it has a micro SD slot unlike the original Moto G, altho it sounds like that has changed with the upgraded 4G version

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

psychomansam

• forum hero
By way of update, I have a Haier W718 - dual core waterproof android, £53 import pre-loaded with a proper rom.

It's not the greatest phone obviously, but it's a few months down the line, working fine and ridiculously good value for money.

When I'm earning more, I might import a Lenovo.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal