UKBouldering.com

Chi Running - bobbins or a useful technique? (Read 3049 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Chi Running - bobbins or a useful technique?
November 14, 2007, 03:58:30 pm

I've recently started running again but my poor old knees have been suffering big style  :boohoo:

This got so bad a few weeks ago that after a 3.5 mile run my knees took 2 weeks to recover.

Googling about raised "Chi Running" as a good solution for decreasing running injuries but i was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this sort of running or any suitable alternatives ?

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Not sure about Chi but article in the paper the other day about running involving the Alexander Technique. Seems to make sense, some useful tips.

Rice Boy

• stalker
I've had huge benefits and fun from adopting (trying to)Alexander Technique in every day activities.  I know of various teachers in Manchester who offer one-on-one sessions. Can provide number if interested.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Read the Guardian A/T article too.  Even tried to do it: bloody difficult, strenuous - and hard to maintain.

I can't run every other day as I used to, every 3rd day now; pain is the reason, though mostly just general foot-ache.  I don't find running the A/T way any better but I doubt I'm doing it right and probably need coaching.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
I know nothing of Chi Running, but...
I taught myself to run again after a stack of back problems and two snowboarder's knees by following the advice in a book I borrowed from one of the people who helped me get better. The book was "Running With The Whole Body" by Jack Heggie and is based on the Feldenkrais (sp?) method. It was a relatively new book when I got hold of it ('97), so a more modern version of the technique might be around. This was deffo not bobbins. I did feel a bit of a dick doing the walking exercises at first. I also did a few Awareness Through Movement sessions with a Feldenkrais practitioner to get an idea of what the whole thing was about.
Needless to say I have lapsed back into back habits, but I can still run OK.
I don't know what the connection/difference is between Feldenkrais and Alexander techniques.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
I just managed to find an ebook download of this so will try it out and see if i can put any of it into practice. A quick skim puts up some interesting ideas:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal