UKBouldering.com

snooooooooooooowboarding (Read 341287 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#975 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 23, 2017, 08:24:33 am

galpinos

• forum hero
#976 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
April 10, 2017, 11:40:12 am
Is snowboarding still popular with the youth in Canada?

Having just come back from a week in Val d'Isere, it struck me how few snowboarders there were and how they all seem to be thirty odd plus.

Admittedly Val probably isn't the cutting edge of cool as it does seem to be populated by either hooray henrys or les bronzés qui font du ski but baring in mind there are plenty of rich kids following the latest fad, none of them seemed to think that fad was snowboarding?

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#977 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
April 10, 2017, 12:54:46 pm
Is snowboarding still popular with the youth in Canada?

Having just come back from a week in Val d'Isere, it struck me how few snowboarders there were and how they all seem to be thirty odd plus.

Admittedly Val probably isn't the cutting edge of cool as it does seem to be populated by either hooray henrys or les bronzés qui font du ski but baring in mind there are plenty of rich kids following the latest fad, none of them seemed to think that fad was snowboarding?

Funny, we noticed that there appeared to be a resurgence of boarders when we were out in the Pyrenees recently.  :devangel:

Paul B

• forum hero
#978 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
April 10, 2017, 01:50:04 pm

Same in Les Arcs/Les Plagnes, I saw a lot fewer snowboarders and also less helmet cams / selfie sticks.

gingerninja

• menacing presence
#979 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
April 11, 2017, 09:41:03 am
i think the decline in snowboarding has more to do with the development of skis and the fact is got much cooler than it was in the late 90s. ive snowboarded for 25 years, skis were rubbish when i started and snowboarding was cool. i now look at skis and think theyre a much more versatile way of getting round the mountain and new fat skis even perform well in powder, tho still think a snowboard is better for the deep stuff. sort of wish i could ski now lol.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#980 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
April 11, 2017, 11:41:59 am
i think the decline in snowboarding has more to do with the development of skis and the fact is got much cooler than it was in the late 90s. ive snowboarded for 25 years, skis were rubbish when i started and snowboarding was cool. i now look at skis and think theyre a much more versatile way of getting round the mountain and new fat skis even perform well in powder, tho still think a snowboard is better for the deep stuff. sort of wish i could ski now lol.

I'm thinkign along much the same lines & will probably bite the bullet and learn to ski at some point.

I did a powder course a couple of years back with mountain guide in Zillertal who basically said exactly the same - he snowboarded for years & switched back because skis have become nearly as good as a snowboard in the deep stuff, and they're so much more practical in every other way.

galpinos

• forum hero
#981 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 19, 2017, 07:28:12 am
I realise this is skiing not snowboarding but enjoyed this one from Salomon/Mike Douglas about getting older:

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#982 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 19, 2017, 11:47:20 am

ooh, that brought back a lot of memories - I spent a lot of time boarding in Scotland from 1990 to 1992 - National Express had a Ł6 return anywhere in Britain deal for students, which meant I spent 2 days a week doing uni work on the bus, 2 days riding and 3 days attending lectures/tutorials. I had friends to stay with while I was there and you could get lift passes refunded by filling in for lunch breaks on the lifts. If the lifts shut due to bad weather, I just walked up the hills.

learning to ride the thin ribbons of snow between the rocks and the ice and how to recover from hitting both unexpectedly set me up well for when I returned to the alps

that footage of riding the snow next to fence was particularly familiar
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 01:43:52 pm by shark »

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#983 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 19, 2017, 07:01:02 pm
interesting

SA Chris

• forum hero
#984 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 21, 2017, 01:53:00 pm
Same issues as original step in designs (and flows for that matter) then.

First turns have been made in Scotland for the season (a few scratched out at Glencoe) and it's accumulating in the Northern Corries as we speak. Anyone got plans for turns up this way?

Also planning Les Gets area for long weekend end of January.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#985 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 25, 2017, 08:11:45 pm
I just dug out an interesting stick from my attic

a 1998 Burton Supermodel 181 with leather Ride Team bindings

I got given it for a heli trip to Nepal that ended up not happening when the king sacked his government or something

Bizarrely I ended up renting a board in Mondolé from a Dino, who runs the snowboard museum:  https://www.facebook.com/Museo-Italiano-dello-Snowboard-562178050472974/

He'd probably love your board!

Is it like trying to turn a tanker? My skis are 185!!!

going fast, floating high in powder, this was never an issue

I'd imagine that trying to spin it in the air would be interesting, but I never tried - it had a decent radius side cut

181 supermodel next to a 183 idiot

anyone interested in buying this board?

much as I loved it in soft snow, my feet are too big and this board is standard width, so no use to me on hard pack or piste -  I am unlikely to be able to afford a heli trip in the next 10 years

would be great for anyone with feet below size 10

maybe a good option for a DIY split board? could be really good - old style solid Burton build, same surface area as a pair of touring skis for using skinning tracks

I don't want much for it - leather Ride Team bindings could be included

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#986 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 26, 2017, 07:35:27 pm
Looks enormous.

I'm still using the Burton step in bindings I bought with a student loan in the nineties. I've always loved them, suspect they didn't catch on more for fashion reasons than performance. Not sure if whether they'll have any better luck this time. If you ride with skiers I'd say they're a must.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#987 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 27, 2017, 12:45:15 pm
what is it, 181 midwide? Bit too big even for me, unless i unexpectedly put on a stone or two. I ride a stiff 168 mid wide and not sure i could cope with any more length (missus).

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#988 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 30, 2017, 10:12:13 am
what is it, 181 midwide? Bit too big even for me, unless i unexpectedly put on a stone or two. I ride a stiff 168 mid wide and not sure i could cope with any more length (missus).

standard width - waist is something like 240 - 250mm at a guess

these were never very stiff boards - easy to carve at low speeds

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#989 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 08, 2017, 01:18:17 pm
superb

SamT

• forum hero
#990 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 08, 2017, 10:10:13 pm

8)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#991 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 28, 2017, 07:11:34 pm
right

I haven't been on a snow holiday for 9 years or so

there's no way we can afford a whole family ski holiday in school holidays

however, Mrs St. Arfish has just offered me a week (or less) pass to go play in the snow without the rest of them

I would rather not go alone

anyone got any trips planned that would suit a large snowboarder who can cook?

preferably outside school hols

cheers

SA Chris

• forum hero
#992 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 31, 2017, 05:47:51 am
I’m off to Les Gets 25-30 Jan with my brother, can message with details

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#993 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 03, 2018, 02:11:13 pm
cheers Chris - wasn't able to get that time off

However - the mighty Plattsy has agreed to come to Slovakia with me

staying in one of Propaganda Snowboards' chalets in Jasna

psyched

better get myself fit

SA Chris

• forum hero
#994 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 05, 2018, 01:57:00 pm
http://www.henrysavalanchetalk.com/avalanche-danger-rating-5-northern-french-alps/

Anyone out there at the moment and in the next few weeks, be careful!

ben

• obsessive maniac
#995 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 08, 2018, 04:05:52 pm
anyone have any experience of NW Austrian resorts, such as those near Kufstein or down towards Innsbruck ?

I'm in Munich w/work for a 3 day course mid-Feb and have wangled 3 days boarding with a mate afterwards.  Trying to work out the best and cheapest option.  Thought about Garmisch but a colleague says its a bit limited for 3 days skiing (any thoughts on that?).  Another option I looked at was Soll or even staying in Innsbruck itself as it looks well connected with free buses.

Ideally we wouldn't need a hire car, but could get one if needed; plus reasonably priced accomodation.

We've both boarded a fair bit in the past but not for a few years so somewhere with plenty of reds would be ideal

can I tag Munchener somehow ?!

andy_e

• forum hero
#996 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 08, 2018, 04:15:29 pm
I went to Garmisch three or four times as a kid and remember it being fun. There's a good few lifts and hills to check out. I was a ski punter back then so no idea on difficulty etc.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#997 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 08, 2018, 04:45:24 pm
Garmisch is indeed rather limited - plus big thaw last week & this, so connies on the valley runs will be shit. You're better off heading to Austria. Innsbruck has its own resort reachable by suburban tram, plus you're within easy bus ride of Axamer Lizums or - as a last resort, Stubai Glacier if there's no snow anywhere else.

The Kufstein area is extensive but low down, & personally I don't find it that interesting compared to the higher mountain resorts.

If you're flexible on location Zillertal/Tuxertal is the best bet for size, variety and reliable snow conditions. You don't have to go too far to escape the Mayrhofen party scene if that isn't what you want.

10th to 17th Feb is Bavarian school hols though so wherever you choose get your accommodation booked sharpish.

ben

• obsessive maniac
#998 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 08, 2018, 05:03:45 pm
many thanks for the top beta Muenchener.  We're completely flexible on location as long as its relatively close to Munich and can get there ok.  It's the following week, so 22-24th that we'll be riding.

I'll take a closer look at Zillertal area on your recommendation, I guess we'd need a car to get there though ?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#999 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 08, 2018, 05:47:19 pm
There will be loads of ways to get there - either public transport  - train / bus or private transfers.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal