UKBouldering.com

YYFY!!! (Read 2088489 times)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#6775 Re: YYFY!!!
February 07, 2018, 03:29:18 pm
Tom, you can dismantle the boards in my house if you want, and have the matting.

Are your boards still up Andy? I suppose technically you should be loaning them to the British Museum but I'd be interested if they're not of course  :great:

Tom, you can dismantle the boards in my house if you want, and have the matting.

😱 taking them down?

If I had a garage I’d make you an offer.. (well we may move housebhis year...)

You'd be welcome to train at ours Tom if ever rained off from Frodsham/Helsby action. I can't wait to get set up now and closer to some ruralness.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#6776 Re: YYFY!!!
February 07, 2018, 09:12:32 pm
Nice one Mono...  (I got my posts and quotes mixed up reading and thought Nibs was moving to Widnes 😀😀)

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#6777 Re: YYFY!!!
February 08, 2018, 08:22:43 am
Great news Mono. Does this mean that the Fingerwrecker board is going to see the light of day again?

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#6778 Re: YYFY!!!
February 08, 2018, 08:48:26 am
 :dance1:

Monolith

• forum hero
#6779 Re: YYFY!!!
February 09, 2018, 10:15:44 am
Cheers beasts.

Does this mean that the Fingerwrecker board is going to see the light of day again?

Damn right it will. Thinking about becoming a Fingerboarder again.

andy popp

• forum hero
#6780 Re: YYFY!!!
February 09, 2018, 10:48:50 am

Are your boards still up Andy? I suppose technically you should be loaning them to the British Museum but I'd be interested if they're not of course  :great:

As far as I'm aware they are - I just need to check with Pete. If they are and he doesn't want any of it then you're very welcome.

Monolith

• forum hero
#6781 Re: YYFY!!!
February 09, 2018, 11:39:42 am
Thanks beast, that'd be awesome. Don't currently have a moving date so not at all an urgent hurry. Hope you're keeping well (the photos certainly look so!).  :weakbench:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6782 Re: YYFY!!!
February 09, 2018, 05:51:22 pm
After swithering until Friday about running (had a shit head cold for about 2 weeks), managed 2:00:02 in Forfar Multi-Terrain Half Marathon last Sunday. Hadn't run for about 3 weeks before (been away skiing) and couldn't defer or transfer, and weather was so good i just did it. Great but tough course.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#6783 Re: YYFY!!!
February 12, 2018, 12:40:48 pm
One of those days at the Cliff yesterday. Finished off Underhand and did the Extension in the same session. Is it 7c? Either way I'm taking it! Mint but freezing cold conditions; reward for all the marginal days.

andy_e

• forum hero
#6784 Re: YYFY!!!
February 12, 2018, 01:28:24 pm
Arse, knew I should have risked it. Good effort.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#6785 Re: YYFY!!!
February 12, 2018, 10:12:04 pm
Definitely needed some strong psych as it was blowing a hooley even by almscliff standards!

AMorris

• obsessive maniac
  • Trying to find form
#6786 Re: YYFY!!!
February 13, 2018, 12:49:13 pm
after 2017 being the most injured year on record (various pulley and tendon injuries) with the last one being late October, I decided to rethink my training and how I rest. After a good few months of rehab, not only am I back to strength (although there are still things I shy away from) but the last couple of sessions at the local wall I have path'd up the hardest 7Cish test-piece on the perma features first try! This problem took me about 8 weeks to work out and climb when I first got here.

Roll on dry weather, maybe this will be the year!

Monolith

• forum hero
#6787 Re: YYFY!!!
February 13, 2018, 02:25:16 pm
After swithering until Friday about running (had a shit head cold for about 2 weeks), managed 2:00:02 in Forfar Multi-Terrain Half Marathon last Sunday. Hadn't run for about 3 weeks before (been away skiing) and couldn't defer or transfer, and weather was so good i just did it. Great but tough course.

Nice work Chris! Have you got many other races lined up across the course of the year?

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6788 Re: YYFY!!!
February 13, 2018, 04:07:27 pm
after 2017 being the most injured year on record (various pulley and tendon injuries) with the last one being late October, I decided to rethink my training and how I rest.

Happy to hear this. What did you do? I'm guessing quality versus quantity of training and more rest days but I'd be interested in specifics.

AMorris

• obsessive maniac
  • Trying to find form
#6789 Re: YYFY!!!
February 13, 2018, 05:37:24 pm
after 2017 being the most injured year on record (various pulley and tendon injuries) with the last one being late October, I decided to rethink my training and how I rest.

Happy to hear this. What did you do? I'm guessing quality versus quantity of training and more rest days but I'd be interested in specifics.

Thank you! I didn't really do anything revolutionary. My main focus was (as vague as this is going to sound) so respond to my body, rather than think "well I hurt but I need to train today so I will". While I was recovering I was only climbing once a week and doing some very light "no pain" finger boarding just to aid recovery, I very slowly worked my back to climbing twice a week with plenty of rest. Nowdays I am doing a one day on one day off schedule while I am in the final stages of recovery.

Also yes, you are right that I am going for quality rather than quantity. So a session now involves less running around the wall climbing whatever I want, and more of a structured approach. Specifically I am using the structure Dan Turner suggested (many thanks if you are reading this, Dan) which is 5x12: 5 problems of which 2 are weaknesses, 2 are project sims, and one is a strength, 12 minutes each and move on. I have also added in some TRX work for the antagonists and core, which I would strongly recommend!

I know it's nothing most people probably haven't heard of before, but it works better than my '6 days a week killing myself at the wall' approach that lead to the constant plague of compounding injuries.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#6790 Re: YYFY!!!
February 14, 2018, 02:21:16 pm

Nice work Chris! Have you got many other races lined up across the course of the year?

Doing 16 mile trail race at Run Balmoral, Illuminator and Ring of Steall again, will see what others there are to fill in as they come up. Like to do some proper "hill races" (what you would call fell races anywhere else). Shorter harder types. Contemplating a marathon, not sure which though, maybe Fort William, the mixed nature appeals more than all out road type.

You?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 02:39:56 pm by SA Chris »

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#6791 Re: YYFY!!!
February 14, 2018, 04:51:24 pm
Contemplating a marathon, not sure which though, maybe Fort William, the mixed nature appeals more than all out road type.

When I was contemplating a marathon I liked the look of Kielder, mix of easy going trail and paths, not one if you're looking for a fast time apparently but I'd guess FW isn't either.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#6792 Re: YYFY!!!
February 14, 2018, 04:58:18 pm
Thanks I'll have a look at that too. Probably get there in about the same time.

If it's your first marathon any time is a PB...

More interested in doing one I'll enjoy than one that is easy to do.

Monolith

• forum hero
#6793 Re: YYFY!!!
February 15, 2018, 11:20:02 am

Doing 16 mile trail race at Run Balmoral, Illuminator and Ring of Steall again, will see what others there are to fill in as they come up. Like to do some proper "hill races" (what you would call fell races anywhere else). Shorter harder types. Contemplating a marathon, not sure which though, maybe Fort William, the mixed nature appeals more than all out road type.

You?

Sounds like a solid set of plans champ! Hope you manage to get to a local hill race soon too - will look forward to the report.

I'm down for the Teenager with Altitude and Jura races at the moment. If I get the all clear to start running next week, I'm in with a shot of surviving them.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#6794 Re: YYFY!!!
February 21, 2018, 07:07:11 pm
You know you have achieved a certain level of notoriety, when your finger tape supplier has your offical company reference as your UKB moniker  (not sure who they are on here, but I promise I don’t order things under my username, and Polly does the ordering anyway).

I did piss myself, when the reception staff called to ask me if I’d upset someone, because he’d received a package addressed to Old man Matt...

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#6795 Re: YYFY!!!
February 22, 2018, 11:06:06 am
A couple of weeks ago I was contacted by the woman who's in charge of my Contrada (neighborhood) blood donors group, and I joined it. Did the analysis and was cleared, so today I went and donate for the first time. Brilliant stuff. Next month I will be "doing platelets", whatever that may mean.
So fucking proud! Should have done it much earlier.
They also gave a monster ham sandwich.  :2thumbsup:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#6796 Re: YYFY!!!
February 26, 2018, 03:14:31 pm
All you get in UK is a cup of tea and a tunnocks wafer

tomtom

• forum hero
#6797 Re: YYFY!!!
February 26, 2018, 03:25:29 pm
All you get in UK Scotland is a cup of tea and a tunnocks wafer

Palomides

• forum abuser
#6798 Re: YYFY!!!
February 26, 2018, 03:28:35 pm
Ha! I'm excluded from donating blood in France because I was resident in the UK during the days of Mad Cow Disease !

Séjours au Royaume-Uni entre 1980 et 1996 d’une durée cumulée supérieure à un an. Cette mesure a pour but d’écarter tout risque de transmission de la « maladie de la vache folle ».

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#6799 Re: YYFY!!!
February 26, 2018, 03:50:51 pm
I tried it a couple of times, but found it so traumatic I decided to do my bit for society in other ways instead.

E.g. I could do without a nurse saying "you seem rather tense Mr M". Of course I'm fscking tense. You just stuck a fsck off great tube in my arm and I can see my sodding blood flowing out through it!   :o

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal