UKBouldering.com

YYFY!!! (Read 2088416 times)

thirtytwosrule

• regular
#6750 Re: YYFY!!!
December 27, 2017, 08:44:01 pm
It always amazes me - the transformative power that simple movement over rock has to rejuvenate the spirit! Especially in amazing new surroundings.
I’m so glad I’m a climber! 😁😁😁

I feel this on a very regular basis!

5 years ago I split up with a very long term girlfriend and I do genuinely wonder what state I would be in and where those 5 years would have taken me without climbing.

One big reason I guess I am still most drawn to trad especially in the mountains. To quote a nutter, it nourishes the soul.

This has also now made me want to plan a trip to Albaracin as I've never been and if it can put a smile on your face after a day like that it must be good!

tomtom

• forum hero
#6751 Re: YYFY!!!
December 27, 2017, 10:12:13 pm
Effort Pete - many would have thought fuck it and turned back home. 👍

B0405413

• addict
#6752 Re: YYFY!!!
December 27, 2017, 11:29:26 pm
Such a good post, nice one! Climbing is the shiz

andy popp

• forum hero
#6753 Re: YYFY!!!
January 12, 2018, 09:39:08 pm
Great post Pete.

After a very long period of frustration and uncertainty, I've just received a notification that my application for a Green Card has been approved. Of course, it helps that I don't come from one of those "shithole countries."

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#6754 Re: YYFY!!!
January 12, 2018, 11:28:36 pm
Great post Pete.

After a very long period of frustration and uncertainty, I've just received a notification that my application for a Green Card has been approved. Of course, it helps that I don't come from one of those "shithole countries."

You obviously haven’t been in Torquay lately...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#6755 Re: YYFY!!!
January 13, 2018, 08:25:06 am
i suspect most people from Widnes would consider Torquay rather nice.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#6756 Re: YYFY!!!
January 13, 2018, 10:37:58 am
i suspect most people from Widnes would consider Torquay rather nice.

I don’t think so. Even though I know little about Widnes.
We are feeling thebrunt of the homelessness crisis and have become a centre of distribution for hard drugs. Quite literally the drug capital of the South West.
It still looks pretty, at first glance and head out of the town centre and you can find a little slice of heaven.
But, the town is dead. That high street collapse that is sweeping the country, has hit here very hard. There is little to no employment in the Bay, what there is is seasonal or care home related. But visitor numbers decline year on year and slowly the hotels become abandoned or are converted to “Assisted Living”.
I had to stop my 12 year old from going into town with her friends. I’m hardly a helicopter parent, but last Saturday we went for a coffee after dropping the weeks cash in the bank. Cafe Nero, not Freds Greasy Spoon. There were three people, half undressed with clothes and shoes strewn around them, shooting up. 11am, Saturday morning, on the main street.
Back at the car park and all along Factory road, there were drunken/high fights going on and around eight to ten unconscious bodies slumped in doorways.
Check it out. Have a look at the “Spotted Torquay” page on Facebook. Google the local newspaper (The Herald Express).
It’s partly to do with some of that “Excess accommodation “ (read: bankrupt hotels) being turned into “halfway houses” and shelters. Not a bad thing, in and of it’s self, but we’re starting to understand why a large concentration of such things might be an issue...

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#6757 Re: YYFY!!!
January 13, 2018, 10:51:33 am
In fact.
I just pressed post and my phone rang.
I shit you not.
I have just hung up.

It was Polly (Mrs OMM). She works part time as an estate agent, including Saturday mornings. Driving to a viewing, on St Marychurch road, near Ellacombe; a high/drunk man leapt on her car. Tried to smash the windows with his head and fists; wrenching the door handle and screaming incoherently.
Cue crazed reversing with madman on bonnet, pursued by several Cops on foot and a crowd of people trying to help (they’d already been trying to subdue him prior to Polly’s arrival).
Now phoned me so I can tell her boss why she’s at the Police station instead of the veiwing.
She was crying down the phone, not hurt, but well fucked up. I reckon we’re in for some nightmares again.

And...

This is the YYFY thread. Sorry.

Edit:

I offer one last thing on this.
A word/thought for the day:

Dystopian.

petejh

• forum hero
#6758 Re: YYFY!!!
January 13, 2018, 11:10:31 am
Thanks Matt.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#6759 Re: YYFY!!!
January 13, 2018, 11:30:45 am
Thanks Matt.

Go climbing!

It’s the only thing that makes sense (mainly because it doesn’t).

And when you’re done, we can have a beer and argue over politics (because it’s not real, we have no influence and it’s kinda fun and I like listening to you (just because I argue, doesn’t mean I don’t respect you)).
And, when you’re in Devon next, we’ll head over to Ansteys, climb a bit and swim in that beautiful bay (one of those little bits of heaven I mentioned) (you want a beer or a soft drink with lunch? We can flash up the Barbecue down on Redgate in the evening too).

Because, that’s what it’s really about. The rest of the shit piles of life, are just speed bumps and Gas bills. Fucking annoying, sometimes painful, but ultimately transient.

Doylo

• forum hero
#6760 Re: YYFY!!!
January 13, 2018, 11:51:23 am
Followed by a candlelit dinner for two I hope.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#6761 Re: YYFY!!!
January 13, 2018, 11:55:16 am

What?

Two?

You’re not coming?

Seriously, everyone, I can already taste the steak...

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#6762 Re: YYFY!!!
January 13, 2018, 02:51:17 pm
Having grown up in Widnes, I can confirm that whilst it's shitness is beyond question, it's not as shit as Torquay sounds. Or at least, it wasn't when I lived there.

Widnes always has its even more downtrodden brother Runcorn to make it look better. I can remember opening my GCSE Geography exam paper and seeing the first question. It was a photo of a rundown town centre and we wer invited to point out the signs of social decay. The town was Runcorn. Must've been shit for kids from Runcorn.

andy popp

• forum hero
#6763 Re: YYFY!!!
January 13, 2018, 03:19:50 pm
I was about to point out that though I'm not actually from Widnes, Will certainly is. In fact, most of Widnes really isn't that bad.

tomtom

• forum hero
#6764 Re: YYFY!!!
January 13, 2018, 07:10:16 pm

I heard you do a mean pot noodle Doyle....

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#6765 Re: YYFY!!!
January 13, 2018, 08:14:27 pm

I heard you do a mean pot noodle Doyle....

Would you accept a Pot Noodle from this “man”?

andy popp

• forum hero
#6766 Re: YYFY!!!
February 05, 2018, 12:55:03 pm
Right now the city of Philadelphia is waking up to probably one of the greatest collective hangovers of all time. What a great evening!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#6767 Re: YYFY!!!
February 05, 2018, 01:29:54 pm
Bit of a long one..
Have been feeling thoroughly miserable at the end of 2017 following a relationship  breakdown, so decided last minute to treat myself to a week in Albarracin over Xmas to get away from everything.
Now I’m just back from a great first day’s bouldering in beautiful surroundings. Albarracin’s beautiful, the climbing’s mint, conditions are perfect and I’ve got a big smile all over my face! I can absorb the loss it doesn’t really matter.
It always amazes me - the transformative power that simple movement over rock has to rejuvenate the spirit! Especially in amazing new surroundings.
I’m so glad I’m a climber! 😁😁😁

I missed this before. Strong post Pete. I've had good times deciding to just go to Alba on my own. Hope the rest of the trip continued great despite the theft.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#6768 Re: YYFY!!!
February 05, 2018, 02:18:48 pm
Nice post Pete and a nice way of dealing with things. Sending you positive crimp vibes for the year ahead boss.  :)

On the Widnes topic, we've just put an offer in on a house there and it's been accepted. I'm thoroughly delighted since it'll mean Pex is around the corner, I won't have to cycle through miles of poorly maintained urban roads to get to the countryside any more and I'll be able to do endless Frodsham Hill reps.

Long live Widnes!

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#6769 Re: YYFY!!!
February 05, 2018, 07:16:11 pm

spid3rz

• regular
#6770 Re: YYFY!!!
February 06, 2018, 10:51:45 pm
Busy few months (exciting times) Post Modern Jukebox, Morrissey, Foo Fighters and Harry Potter Studio. Just booked Wales for a few days in Easter. Best of all we have found and booked what looks like a very nice 'doggy' friendly apartment in Fontainebleau in the summer :D

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#6771 Re: YYFY!!!
February 07, 2018, 01:36:20 pm
On the Widnes topic, we've just put an offer in on a house there and it's been accepted. I'm thoroughly delighted since it'll mean Pex is around the corner, I won't have to cycle through miles of poorly maintained urban roads to get to the countryside any more and I'll be able to do endless Frodsham Hill reps.

Long live Widnes!
Brilliant news brother!!!

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#6772 Re: YYFY!!!
February 07, 2018, 02:47:18 pm

Long live Widnes!
Brilliant news brother!!!

Thanks beast! Plenty of room for you both to come and stay with us. Oh and a garage for a board..... ;) ;D

andy popp

• forum hero
#6773 Re: YYFY!!!
February 07, 2018, 03:01:02 pm
Tom, you can dismantle the boards in my house if you want, and have the matting.

tomtom

• forum hero
#6774 Re: YYFY!!!
February 07, 2018, 03:03:06 pm
Tom, you can dismantle the boards in my house if you want, and have the matting.

😱 taking them down?

If I had a garage I’d make you an offer.. (well we may move housebhis year...)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal