UKBouldering.com

John Gill.... (Read 8584 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
John Gill....
October 18, 2002, 09:58:10 am
...can still do a one-armer and he's 65!

The bastard!!!

Here's the boy in his past glory - only other person I've ever actually seen do one of these was that "...exploding powerhouse of the modern gymastic style..." Chris Hamper.

dave

#1 John Gill....
October 18, 2002, 10:24:01 am
This is still pretty mental though:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 John Gill....
October 18, 2002, 10:29:14 am
Yeah, that is menthol coz it's in a mad place to be doing it, but I used to be able to do them on wall bars, they're not as hard as they look. One armed side levers however, are horrendous. Great pic though!

Let's face it, even a normal two arm frontlever is horrendous, especially if you've got thighs like mine!

Dobbin

#3 Hard Stuff
October 25, 2002, 01:52:25 pm
Bloody amazing. One armed side levers. Hellfire. I can only just get a front lever!

Apparently Wolfgang could do front levers on the bottom rung of his campus board - that's hardcore!  :twisted:

Does anyone out there actually attempt this sort of shit for training or is it just me as a party trick?  :?:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 John Gill....
October 25, 2002, 02:01:09 pm
Used to try such things for training but that was in the days before there were many bouldering walls, and woodies were just a twinkle in the training god's eye.

Got to be something in it though - Gill came to bouldering from gymnastics and look what he could do.

Dobbin (can't open email)

#5 John Gill....
October 25, 2002, 02:11:53 pm
Yeah, I reckon - although I once met an American female gymnast who was predictably awesomely strong on jugs but very quickly got nasty finjuries. She could yard it on jugs but struggled on crimps - had to give up due to injury...

I am loving your forum by the way... Muchos Fumari!  :lol:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 John Gill....
October 25, 2002, 02:16:27 pm
I think Lucy Creamer came from gymnastics too which would explain her strength.

Do you want me to activate your account from this end - I know who you are - big brother has checked your email address  :)

dave

#7 John Gill....
October 25, 2002, 02:17:48 pm
I'd like to see someone do a one-armed crucifix, like on that KitKat advert. :eek3:

Dobbin2

#8 John Gill....
October 25, 2002, 02:21:11 pm
yes Please!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 John Gill....
October 25, 2002, 02:23:21 pm
Try it now Mr Tangled  :!:

(login b4 posting)

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#10 John Gill....
October 25, 2002, 02:29:06 pm
Woooo! I am now a fully fledged member!!! Ta M... er Bubba!

Has anyone seen a forecast for the weekend?  :roll:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#11 John Gill....
October 25, 2002, 02:33:40 pm
Good Sat, pants Sun - see the TFI Friday thread......

You done Powerband yet?

dave

#12 John Gill....
October 25, 2002, 02:34:06 pm
I think the concensus is...

Saturday: Fair
Sunday: Shite

But you never know, it is random afterall.......

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#13 John Gill....
October 25, 2002, 02:39:52 pm
Quote from: "dave"
I'd like to see someone do a one-armed crucifix, like on that KitKat advert.

Not seen it - sounds quite easy for a man of my power though  :mrgreen:

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#14 John Gill....
October 25, 2002, 02:53:54 pm
Finally! although not in very good style! by that i mean that I can get all the way to the last move in control but as I do it the short arse way (feet high in egyptian) I have to flick my right foot down onto a good hold and it looks like i'm falling off!

Rediscovered cragx last weekend with Tim Clifford who I witnessed get the 3rd (?) ascent of the sit start to the thing... awesome! managed to haul my arse up Sean's problem too - so really pleased about that!

Shame bout the weather - its rained all week too so I guess everything will be soaked!

dave

#15 John Gill....
October 25, 2002, 02:55:49 pm
You must have seen it - was on telly ages ago. Gymnast on the rings holding crucifix position, takes one hand off to scratch his nose......
|````'|
|````'|      
o``0_o
'``/|  
'``/ \

(Ignore the ' and ` s)

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#16 John Gill....
October 25, 2002, 02:57:52 pm
I know the one you mean! that can't be possible surely?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#17 John Gill....
October 25, 2002, 02:59:05 pm
Cool  :D  Well done man, sod the style for the last move - it seems to stop loads of people that move.

Tim Clifford is amazing - we were all out on a mates stag do and bouldering at Leeds Wall and Tim was like a bleedin' limpet  :shock:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#18 John Gill....
October 25, 2002, 03:00:38 pm
Yeah, I remember now - that ad was funny!

dave

#19 John Gill....
October 25, 2002, 03:05:26 pm
I recon its deffinetly on the fringes of impossibility, but think off all the physical feats they thought were impossible but have been done (the 4 minute mile, etc).

If it ever was done obviously it couldn't be done on rings cos you would swing underneath it, but on a low bar maybe one day - remember there are some strong muthaz out there kids.

Fuck knows how you would train for it though......maybe doing crucifixes with someone sat on your shoulders.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#20 John Gill....
October 25, 2002, 03:09:10 pm
Plus you'd have to have the grip strength of 1000 people just to stop swinging around the bar....which would also mean you'd need skin tougher than me old Betty's boots.

dave

#21 John Gill....
October 25, 2002, 03:16:24 pm
True - I never said it would be easy!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#22 John Gill....
October 10, 2003, 08:46:49 pm
One-handed handstand anyone?

T.H.

• obsessive maniac
#23 John Gill....
October 11, 2003, 05:39:17 pm
Back to the original subject, I started doing front levers at the start of the summer, after reading some stuff about Mr. Gill.  I've found that my body tension is now much better, it also gives you a fu**in awesome eight pack.  I've recently started to try and get one armers done as well, more for a party trick than anything else.  I can't do them on a bar yet, but I can hold them for a short while off square objects like roof rafters.  I think the edge allows your fingers to give you more support or something.  Another alternative bit of training I've been experimenting with is (I think you call them) flagpoles, where you hold your body horizontally to the side.

I think they help climbing ability by strengthening all the core muscles and hip flexors, extensors, adductors and abductors, allowing more controlled movement, especially on steep sh*t.

I don't think the kit-kat advert is real, his centre of gravity is always going to try and get under the point of support (the rope) so even if he did have the world's most unbelievable grip, the ring would still fall to one side, as the point of contact between the ring and the rope would act as a fulcrum.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal