UKBouldering.com

Powerballs (Read 224122 times)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#50 Re: Powerballs
October 12, 2007, 09:06:48 am
I can see I'll have to dig the PowerBall back out and get some serious training in.
I'm told you don't need the string to start it, if you have the proper technique.  Is this right?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#51 Re: Powerballs
October 12, 2007, 09:33:20 am
Addendum.

The noises/expression he makes at the end is class.

Check very start.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#52 Re: Powerballs
October 12, 2007, 09:47:38 am
GCW.  I just watched a tutorial about thumb-starts.  It's all about pushing down hard on the casing - then - letting the thumb snap over the inner ball; not touching the inner ball to begin.  Tried it, got it 1st time.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#53 Re: Powerballs
October 12, 2007, 10:07:14 am
You said this earlier Chris.

So I did. Sorry. It was June and I have slept since then. Blame jetlag.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#54 Re: Powerballs
October 12, 2007, 10:55:11 am
GCW.  I just watched a tutorial about thumb-starts.  It's all about pushing down hard on the casing - then - letting the thumb snap over the inner ball; not touching the inner ball to begin.  Tried it, got it 1st time.

I know, do that too but you get a sore thumb if you do it too much.  I was being facetious Re:  SAChris' repetitititition

Hou-letthedogsout:  Put your wrist action where your mouth is and post up your top score.  Photo evidence will of course be required, and photoshopping is frowned upon.  C'mon, you wimp- let's see what you can acheive!!

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#55 Re: Powerballs
October 12, 2007, 10:59:37 am
"What?!  This is my best sports jacket!"  Besides I don't have a counter yet.  Watch this space, punk.

I'd recommend wrapping your newly purchased balls with finger tape, especially around the lip of the hole where your tips will be gripping.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#56 Re: Powerballs
October 12, 2007, 11:03:40 am
I'd recommend wrapping your newly purchased balls with finger tape, especially around the lip of the hole where your tips will be gripping.

1.  This is a performance aid and is therefore illegal
2.  It hurts like hell when you take the tape off your balls, especially around the hole at the tip

I eagerly await your pathetic score   8)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#57 Re: Powerballs
October 12, 2007, 11:06:51 am
Having not heard of these before I'm now considering getting one for a laugh. The only thing I'm concened about is the string you need for starting it up. From what I've seen on various internet forums it is easily broken or lost and as you only get one replacement I was wondering if it was possible to order a supply of spares from anywhere? Failing that, is there any way to start the powerball without the string? Perhaps by stroking it over a carpeted floor or simply by utilising some sort of thumb technique?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#58 Re: Powerballs
October 12, 2007, 11:11:16 am
Jasper- You will be pleased to hear you get 2 nice red strings with these PowerBalls.  There is string free method for starting, but I'm not sure how it works.
Alternatively, fresh strings can be purchased from http://www.houdinipowerballstringsupplies.com for £9.99 each (plus VAT).

Hope that helps.
Have fun playing with your new toy!

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#59 Re: Powerballs
October 12, 2007, 11:12:36 am
i was feeling very embarassed while watching a greek man in a vest playing with his balls in front of a camera.
anyone else?

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#60 Re: Powerballs
October 12, 2007, 02:25:43 pm
i wouldn't say embarrased nibs, no..

*mops lap with kleenex

Paul B

• forum hero
#61 Re: Powerballs
October 12, 2007, 05:21:48 pm
Having not heard of these before I'm now considering getting one for a laugh. The only thing I'm concened about is the string you need for starting it up. From what I've seen on various internet forums it is easily broken or lost and as you only get one replacement I was wondering if it was possible to order a supply of spares from anywhere? Failing that, is there any way to start the powerball without the string? Perhaps by stroking it over a carpeted floor or simply by utilising some sort of thumb technique?

Don't waste your money, feel free to borrow mine until your bored with it, it won't take long. You can start them with your thumb as per the crazy video of the guy setting the worlds highest score but it takes a little time to master. My best score was wiped by a foolish climber (you know who you are!) trying to turn it off, at the time I set it, I was sat in a ford Ka and the thing was shaking like mad. After failing a few times to re-set the high score, I lost interest...It's all about the grades  ;)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#62 Re: Powerballs
October 15, 2007, 10:14:42 am
i wouldn't say embarrased nibs, no..

I like Akis too.  Not that much but I like him; so impassive.  A real heavy hitter...

Get back into it Paul B - stopping is obviously the reason you haven't cracked 8C.  Slacker  ;)

Paul B

• forum hero
#63 Re: Powerballs
October 15, 2007, 01:51:35 pm
I tried yesterday, set a NEW high score (something pitiful), after that I was pumped for about an hour.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#64 Re: Powerballs
October 15, 2007, 02:55:01 pm
I tried yesterday, set a NEW high score (something pitiful), after that I was pumped for about an hour.
What did you get Paul?

Paul B

• forum hero
#65 Re: Powerballs
October 15, 2007, 02:56:59 pm
9942  :'(

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#66 Re: Powerballs
October 15, 2007, 02:58:17 pm
 :lol: :lol:
Ha ha, you can't break 10,000.  :lol:

Hang on.  I can't climb 8a  :-\

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#67 Re: Powerballs
October 15, 2007, 03:28:19 pm
Been hanging back on one buying one of these until today, when I decided to bundle one in with the shit I was buying from amazon so that I could get it all delivered free.

Looking forward to seeing if they live up to the hype and joining the UKB powerball league ;D

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#68 Re: Powerballs
October 15, 2007, 08:46:45 pm
I've got one (bought in 2000?) you can have a try with. You'll not need the string - its piss to start with your thumb. I had to modify mine with strappal coz the rubber gave me blisters. I stopped using it after taking it to Font when i went with Irish Alan.
Thats the trip where he beat the entire Russian Orchestra at arm wrestling (inc the HUGE tuba player from Minsk - which is why he was declared the Strongest Man In Minsk), drank the Russians cheap "vodka" which caused him to fall,piss soaked, from the top bunk in F1 and knacker his leg up, pick up girlfreind of army officer organising re-enactment of WWII liberation of Paris -causing officer to threaten Al with a knife - Al totally unfazed by possible stabbing (pointing and laughing) is rescued from WWII army jeep by his new (large and drunk) Russian friends, who take it in turns to take driving seat in my newly aquired BMW coupe and use its stereo to fuel all night party much to annoyance of other F1 guests - and me.
THEN he gets 14k on his first day on the fucking powerball.
Its a good thing digging roads and drinking stop him from climbing more than twice a year... and therefore provide me with another reliable unreliable heavy drinking partner.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#69 Re: Powerballs
October 15, 2007, 10:40:14 pm
Get Irish Alan in on it!  He's obviously a natural-born powerball wad and needs  to begin training - hard - immediately.  Only he can challenge Akis as Captain Crush.

(Surely Fat Doc should buy one ASAP?  Think of the possibilities for new injury, new flesh to wound.  ) 

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#70 Re: Powerballs
October 15, 2007, 10:54:52 pm
Irish Alan is a natural at everything. He was some kind of junior Handball champion in Ireland (squash without rackets) before coming to England to dig roads (aged 15) and was undefeated Broadfield armwrestling champ for years until I got him on his weak arm whilst he was badly injured and fucked up on drink and drugs (I still take the tick). Apart from digging, his work has mainly involved screwing heavy (40 pound) steel bars together (all day) to rip out old utilities pipes.
He weighs about 10 1/2 stone - perhaps the powerball is a great way of stopping him from making me realise just what a talentless climber I am.
I'll get him one as a house warming present.
Sorted

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#71 Re: Powerballs
October 16, 2007, 08:32:27 am
Can I just point out that my earlier post which everyone's quoting was a (poor I realise) joke. I was merely milking the repetition theme................. It makes sense if you read the whole thread honest. ;)

Anyway I have no intention of buying one of these evil looking things. It looks like a fast track to fucking yourself up. Plus if repeated use gives you a physique like that Greek fucker then even less reason to try it.

I can confirm what Rob's saying about Irish Alan. It would be scary if he ever commited any time to climbing properly as he's very strong and also has natural technique. We went out to Froggatt once and Alan, who'd never climbed before downed four cans of lager, smoked a few spliffs and then did Joe's Direct in a pair of fucked shoes that didn't fit and had massive holes in.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#72 Re: Powerballs
October 16, 2007, 08:38:56 am
a (poor I realise) joke... 

I got it!

It looks like a fast track to fucking yourself up.

Conditioning phase almost over.    Probably 3 months.

I know it's not an ideal world but you'd hope people were sensible enough not to use it 24/7.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#73 Re: Powerballs
October 16, 2007, 09:13:57 am
Anyway I have no intention of buying one of these evil looking things. It looks like a fast track to fucking yourself up. Plus if repeated use gives you a physique like that Greek fucker then even less reason to try it.

Pull yourself together. Be a MAN. If you go around considering the consequences of your actions and accepting the responsibility of those consequences, then...... oh hang on, maybe thats where I'm going wrong  :wall:. Must forward this new idea to Mr Bush

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#74 Re: Powerballs
October 16, 2007, 09:58:33 pm
Post up your record RPM.

No can do: I jewed-out and went for the basic (without rev. counter) model. 

Care to say that 'face to face' with a jew with a short temper?  If so I'll be at the works tomorrow.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal