UKBouldering.com

How to add pictures to your posts... (Read 65184 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
How to add pictures to your posts...
November 03, 2006, 07:44:20 am
Thought I'd write a simple HowTo to guide people through how to add pictures to their posts.

General Concept

There is no (current) way to upload your pictures to ukBouldering, so when you read a thread and see pictures in people's posts, they're not really 'there' in the sense that they are not hosted by UKbouldering.  Instead the picture is hyperlinked from another location and displayed inline in the post.

Thus in order to be able to post pictures to ukBouldering you need to have somewhere else on t'internet where you can post your pictures, and then when your posting on ukBouldering you can insert a link to the picture.

There are inumerable ways of posting your pics on t'internet.  Traditionally, most ISPs offer a limited amount of web-space with your account, but given the advances in digital photography and concurrent increase in file size you'd probably use this up pretty quickly.  A nice alternative is to use any one of the free image hosting sites that are around on the net.

My personal favourite is flickr, it has some great features for organising and tagging your photos, and does an excellent job at resizing them.  There are also some cool toys (see JD's flickr toys but there are many others services some of which are listed below.  Personally I have a Pro account ($40 provides two years permanent hosting with 2Gb upload per month) at flickr so I've provided a walk through for that.  Feel free to add similar walk throughs for other sites.

Free Image hosting sites

Using flickr to post pictures at ukBouldering

• 0 Find a thread on ukBouldering- Find or start a thread on ukBouldering that you want to post a picture to.
  • 1 Register for a free account - Signup for a free account at flickr here.  Flickr is owned by Yahoo, so if you already have a Yahoo account you may not need to register, but just sign-in.
  • 2 Upload your photos - Once registered upload your phots to your flickr account.  Name and tag them if you desire and add any comments or notes to the pictures themselves.
  • 3 Get the static URL - Once a picture is uploaded click it to view it.  From this page click on the "All Sizes" button above the picture itself (the one with the little magnifying glass next to it).
  • 4 Choose the size of picture - Use the links at the top to choose the size of the picture you want to actually post to ukBouldering.
  • 5 Get the Static URL - Once happy with the size of the picture scroll down and underneath the picture you will see two boxes underneath the title To link to this photo on other websites you can either:.  Copy (Ctrl+C) the text from the second box.
  • 6 Go to your posting at ukBouldering - and decide where in the text you would like the image to appear and insert the image tag by clicking on the button above the test box your are typing in where all the smiley's are (second button in from the left on the second row).
  • 7 Paste in your URL - Paste (Ctrl+v) your URL inbetween the two sets of square-brackets that appeared in the previous step.
  • 8 Preview your post - Preview your post to see what it looks like and when happy submit it.

Tips

• Following ukBouldering Posting Guide - Follow the Posting guides for ukBouldering
  • Avoid large pictures - Not everyone has a19" monitor like you, so post reasonable size images, and then people viewing the post don't have to scroll around to view the whole picture.
  • Post anything - In general if there is a picture already on the net you can follow steps 0, 7 and 8 to include the image into your post, you don't need to have the picture on your own image hosting site.  To find the URL of a given picture simply right-click on it and select "Open Image in New Tab" and the URL of the picture will be shown. (NB - This doesn't work for everything though, for example bleau.info does not allowing linking of pictures.
  • If in doubt:rtfm:

Please post of anything above is inaccurate/doesn't work/etc. and I'll add corrections to the thread.

Shameless self promotion - my flickr stream
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 07:57:11 am by slack---line, Reason: Added to Tips »

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Re: How to add pictures to your posts...
November 03, 2006, 07:45:49 am

Thanks for that :)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2 Re: How to add pictures to your posts...
November 03, 2006, 07:48:10 am
Shit your quick!!!

Not a problem, have advised people twice on recent threads so thought I'd write it up (whether it gets read or not is a different matter  :-\)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Update

The above instructions will allow you to embed pictures from flickr and other sites into your posts here on UKB.

However, the "policy" on flickr (and possibly other sites too) is that when you post a picture from there you should link back to the web-page on flickr from where it originates.  This is relatively straightforward.

• 1 Find a picture you want to post
  • 2 Start writing your post here on UKB
  • 3 Add a URL linking to the picture into your post, for example if you want to embed this picture (see image below)
Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/slackline/2528614845/][/url]
  • 4 Right-click on the image size you want to embed and select "Open in New Tab"
  • 5 Copy the URL of the picture itself and place it in within a set of [ img] [ /img] tags
Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/slackline/2528614845/][img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3222/2528614845_5032ce1f8d.jpg[/img][/url]
  • 6 Preview your post and if your happy hit the Post button

Note that whilst flickr allows you to link pictures in this manner some users don't.  If you right-click and get "spaceball.gif" then the user has banned linking.  There are ways around this, but to avoid getting UKB into trouble it would be best to simply post a link to the flickr page.

A snap I took in the underpass to the Arc de Triomphe, correctly linked back to its original flickr page....

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Slackers, having just spent ten minutes fucking about trying to post a pic like this I found that instead of "right click, open in new tab" for step 4 I had to do "right click, copy shortcut" to get the URL of the pic itself. This might be useful to some people.  :)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Often you can right click and view properties, then copy/paste the address of the image.  All theme and variation really.
Usually worth a preview when linking an image, just to be sure  :)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Slackers, having just spent ten minutes fucking about trying to post a pic like this I found that instead of "right click, open in new tab" for step 4 I had to do "right click, copy shortcut" to get the URL of the pic itself. This might be useful to some people.  :)

Have you just upgraded to Firefox 3?

I noticed that the menu had changed in the new version and that the "Open in New Tab" had disappeared in favour of "Copy Shortcut" which personally I find a bit of a ball-ache as you then have to do the sequence

right-click
copy shortcut
Ctrl + t
Ctrl + l
Ctrl + v

which is far more contrived than the old right-click, open in new tab.  Perhaps we're seeing the emergence of 'elimiates' in computing GUI's  :-\

Paul B

• forum hero
i'm running ver 3 and the open in new tab is still here?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Using shitty IE as at work.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
i'm running ver 3 and the open in new tab is still here?

Could be 'cause I'm under Linux (although in theory it should be the same across platforms).  Just trying out firefox for the first time with this new release, I normally use a GNOME (desktop environment for Linux) browser called Galeon (although its still based on the Gecko engine which underpines firefox so works pretty similar).

Using shitty IE as at work.

Fair enough, good work on adding the knowledge though, all that needs to happen now is n00bs read this thread before asking how to post pics.

Paul B

• forum hero
not a chance.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#11 Re: How to add pictures to your posts...
December 17, 2008, 08:46:53 am
UPDATE

Bubba dug out a couple of very useful sites to facilitate embedding pictures from flickr in the correct manner (i.e. back-linking the picture to its original as described earlier in the thread) and thought they are worth adding to this thread too.

The easiest and most generic to use is the Flickr BBcode page where you paste the html code from underneath the required size of the picture (just click on the "All Sizes" button above a picture to get to the different sizes).

If you use Firefox with Greasemonkey then there is the very handy Flickr AllSizes+ script.  Don't have Greasemonkey installed so can't comment on how to use this I'm afraid (although it looks exceptionally handy so I'll be trying it out and will report back if useful).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#12 Re: How to add pictures to your posts...
January 11, 2009, 09:07:17 pm

If you use Firefox with Greasemonkey then there is the very handy Flickr AllSizes+ script.  Don't have Greasemonkey installed so can't comment on how to use this I'm afraid (although it looks exceptionally handy so I'll be trying it out and will report back if useful).

Another handy greasemonkey script as an alternative to the above is Flickr Img Src Exposure which also circumvents the 'spaceball.gif' problem ;-)

Averageman

• menacing presence
  • pushing hard and getting nowhere fast.
#13 Re: How to add pictures to your posts...
February 06, 2009, 12:16:12 pm
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, just tried to post a pic for the ladies but failed, so followed link and would like to ask what are the alternatives to flickr, ie myspace for example.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#14 Re: How to add pictures to your posts...
February 06, 2009, 12:30:07 pm
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, just tried to post a pic for the ladies but failed, so followed link and would like to ask what are the alternatives to flickr, ie myspace for example.

Photobucket
ImageShack

(or follow the link in the wiki article that takes you to the Wikipedia page that details a lot on Image Hosting Services).

If the picture is already on the internet you don't need to host it anywhere, just copy the URL as per the wiki article.

Averageman

• menacing presence
#15 Re: How to add pictures to your posts...
February 06, 2009, 12:57:18 pm
Its all sorted at photobucket, thanks again you are a forum hero, but still have to sort out the quoting issue, tried everything you said but i still end up screwing it up some how, is it the mac or me, probably the latter.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#16 Re: How to add pictures to your posts...
February 06, 2009, 01:05:50 pm
Its all sorted at photobucket, thanks again you are a forum hero, but still have to sort out the quoting issue, tried everything you said but i still end up screwing it up some how, is it the mac or me, probably the latter.

I was considering writing this stuff up for the Wiki, but then remembered that its all documented at the Simple Machines Forums (the software that runs this forum).  You're likely interested in the specific BBcode[/section] and in particular the "Quote" examples.

The mistake you seemed to make in your last attempt was that you typed what you wanted to include before the finishing [/quote], so when you reply to a post by hitting the "Quote" button, make sure the cursor is really at the very bottom of the text in the box you're typing in, sometimes there are multiple white lines that you can't see, so make sure you get to the very end of the text before you type anything by hitting Ctrl-End.

Averageman

• menacing presence
#18 Re: How to add pictures to your posts...
February 06, 2009, 01:30:55 pm
Ok followed your links, and i think i will have to take myself on a tutorial, pity there is no way (apart from the preview option) that one can, in some sort of experimental cyber playground, test everything.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#19 Re: How to add pictures to your posts...
February 06, 2009, 01:50:02 pm
I was considering writing this stuff up for the Wiki, but then remembered that its all documented at the Simple Machines Forums (the software that runs this forum).  You're likely interested in the specific BBcode and in particular the "Quote" examples.

The mistake you seemed to make in your last attempt was that you typed what you wanted to include before the finishing [ /quote], so when you reply to a post by hitting the "Quote" button, make sure the cursor is really at the very bottom of the text in the box you're typing in, sometimes there are multiple white lines that you can't see, so make sure you get to the very end of the text before you type anything by hitting Ctrl-End.

Oh the irony   :lol:

Bollocks  :furious:  Fingers getting ahead of the brain there!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#20 Re: How to add pictures to your posts...
February 06, 2009, 04:05:17 pm
Ok followed your links, and i think i will have to take myself on a tutorial, pity there is no way (apart from the preview option) that one can, in some sort of experimental cyber playground, test everything.

If you really want to test stuff out there is a way.

Go to http://ukbouldering.net/board

It's a test installation of SMF 2.0 Beta which will be removed as soon as SMF 2.0 Final is released.

Just register and play.

I've not been to that test board for 4 months - imagine my surprise when I discover it's got 1700 topics posted, all linking to hardcore pr0n, gambling, etc  :o  :lol:

I'd obviously forgot to set the registration or captcha options up - I'm off to do some deleting.....

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#21 Re: How to add pictures to your posts...
February 06, 2009, 04:07:25 pm
I've not been to that test board for 4 months - imagine my surprise when I discover it's got 1700 topics posted, all linking to hardcore pr0n, gambling, etc  :o  :lol:

I'd obviously forgot to set the registration or captcha options up - I'm off to do some deleting.....

I'm off to check out some hardcore pr0n and gambling before it all disappears  :lol:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#22 Re: How to add pictures to your posts...
February 06, 2009, 04:15:08 pm
Ooops, hold your horses - that was an old test installation i'd forgotten about - no wonder it was so full - the fuckers have been using it for a while.

Here is the test 2.0 installation: http://ukbouldering.net/forum/index.php (/forum not /board)

The whole ukbouldering.net site used to be password protected which is why i'd forgotten about it!

I'm deleting the whole forum in a second.

rm -rf board

Sometime I love Linux :)

* edit - there, all gone - so long pr0nsters :)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#23 Re: How to add pictures to your posts...
February 06, 2009, 04:48:05 pm
I'm deleting the whole forum everything in a second.

rm -rf /

^^^  Never, ever type that

I managed to delete some 20Gb of Breezeblock sets I thought I had rsync'd (i.e. mirrored) to an external hard-drive and then blithely went and used rm -rf ~/music/mixes/breezeblock/* only to find out a few days later I hadn't actually run the rsync command without removing the prented switch!   :oops:  Fortunately a mate had a copy of them all  ::)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#24 Re: How to add pictures to your posts...
February 06, 2009, 04:55:19 pm

Aye, that would be bad!

Gasp! SMF 2.0 RC 1 has just been released - time to upgrade that test board :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal